Inferring National and Regional Declines of Rare Orchid Species with Probabilistic Models
Version of Record online: 16 SEP 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 184–195, February 2009
How to Cite
DUFFY, K. J., KINGSTON, N. E., SAYERS, B. A., ROBERTS, D. L. and STOUT, J. C. (2009), Inferring National and Regional Declines of Rare Orchid Species with Probabilistic Models. Conservation Biology, 23: 184–195. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01064.x
- Issue online: 14 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 16 SEP 2008
- Paper submitted October 5, 2007; revised manuscript accepted May 20, 2008.
- 1996. The forgotten pollinators. Island Press, Washington , D.C. , and .
- 1995. Inferring threat from scientific collections. Conservation Biology 9:923–928. , , and .
- 2000. Inferring threat from scientific collections: power tests and an application to Western Australian Acacia species. Pages 7–26 in S.Ferson and M.Burgman, editors. Quantitative methods for conservation biology. Springer-Verlag, New York . , , , , , and .
- 2007. Inferring species decline from collection records: roller dung beetles in Italy (Coleoptera, Scarabaeidae). Diversity and Distributions 13:903–919. , , and .
- 1988. The Irish red data book. 1. Vascular plants. The Stationary Office, Dublin . , and .
- 1876. On the effects of cross and self fertilization in the vegetable kingdom. John Murray, London .
- 1987. Extant unless proven extinct? Or, extinct unless proven extant. Conservation Biology 1:77–79.
- 2003. Effects of habitat fragmentation on biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 34:487–515.
- 2007. Landscape modification and habitat fragmentation: a synthesis. Global Ecology and Biogeography 16:265–280. , and .
- 2007. Building on IUCN regional red lists to produce lists of species of conservation priority: a model with Irish bees. Conservation Biology 21:1324–1332. , , , and .
- 2001. The application of IUCN Red List criteria at regional levels. Conservation Biology 15:1206–1212. , , , and .
- 2001. Quantifying biodiversity: procedures and pitfalls in the measurement and comparison of species richness. Ecology Letters 4:379–391. , and .
- IUCN (World Conservation Union). 2001. IUCN Red List categories and criteria. Version 3.1. IUCN Species Survival Commission, Gland , Switzerland , and Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 2006. Relative effects of management and environmental conditions and performance and survival of populations of a terrestrial orchid, Dactylorhiza majalis. Biological Conservation 129:40–49. , , , , and .
- 1998. Endangered mutualisms: the conservation of plant-pollinator interactions. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 29:83–112. , , and .
- 2006. A comparative analysis of decline in the distribution ranges of orchid species in Estonia and the United Kingdom. Biological Conservation 129:31–39. , and .
- 2004. Dangers of crying wolf over risk of extinctions. Nature 428:799. , , , and .
- 1998. Identifying declining and threatened species with museum data. Biological Conservation 83:9–17.
- 2006. Significance of sighting rate in inferring extinction and threat. Conservation Biology 20:562–567. , , , and .
- 2003. Expiry dates. Nature 426:235–236.
- 2002. New atlas of the British and Irish flora. Oxford University Press, Oxford , United Kingdom . , , and .
- 2002. Recent developments in the study of orchid mycorrhiza. Plant and Soil 244:149–163.
- 1996. Using statistical probability to increase confidence of inferring species extinction. Conservation Biology 10:1283–1285.
- 2006. Extinct or possibly extinct Science 312:997–998.
- 2006. Inferring extinction from biological records: were we too quick to write off Miss Waldron's Red Colobus Monkey (Piliocolobus badius waldronae) Biological Conservation 128:285–287. , and .
- 2003. When did the dodo become extinct Nature 426:245. , and .
- 2006. The value of the IUCN Red List for conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:71–76. , , , , and .
- 1991. Biological consequences of ecosystem fragmentation—a review. Conservation Biology 5:18–32. , , and .
- 2003. Life history trade-offs in a rare orchid: the costs of flowering, dormancy and sprouting. Ecology 84:1199–1206. , , , and .
- 2005. Adult whole-plant dormancy induced by stress in long-lived orchids. Ecology 86:3099–3104. , , and .
- 1994. Short term effects and long term after effects of fertilizer application on the flowering population of green-winged orchid Orchis morio. Biological Conservation 69:191–197. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Biometry: the principles and practice of statistics in biological research. W. H. Freeman, New York . , and .
- 1993a. Inferring extinction from sighting data. Ecology 74:962–964.
- 1993b. Inferring extinction in a declining population. Journal of Mathematical Biology 32:79–82.
- 2005. Inferring extinction from a sighting record. Mathematical Biosciences 195:47–55.
- 2003. A nonparametric test for extinction based on a sighting record. Ecology 84:1329–1332. , and .
- 2006. Museum collections, species distributions, and rarefaction. Diversity and Distributions 12:423–424. , and .
- 2002. Challenges for the conservation of calcareous grasslands in northwestern Europe: integrating the requirements of flora and fauna. Biological Conservation 104:265–273. , , and .
- 1980. The biological vice-counties of Ireland. Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 80B:179–196.
- 1983. The flora of Ireland in its European context. Journal of Life Sciences, Royal Dublin Society The Boyle Medal Discourse 4:143–160.
- 2002. Pollination failure in plants: why it happens and when it matters. Trends in Plant Science 7:270–277. , and .
- 1986. Habitat fragmentation in the temperate zone. Pages 237–256 in M. E.Soulé, editor. Conservation biology: the science and scarcity of diversity. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , Massachusetts . , , and .
- 1986. The current state of biological diversity. Pages 3–18 in E. O.Wilson, editor. Biodiversity. National Academy Press, Washington , D.C.