Rapid Evolution in the Wild: Changes in Body Size, Life-History Traits, and Behavior in Hunted Populations of the Japanese Mamushi Snake
Version of Record online: 16 SEP 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 93–102, February 2009
How to Cite
SASAKI, K., FOX, S. F. and DUVALL, D. (2009), Rapid Evolution in the Wild: Changes in Body Size, Life-History Traits, and Behavior in Hunted Populations of the Japanese Mamushi Snake. Conservation Biology, 23: 93–102. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01067.x
- Issue online: 14 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 16 SEP 2008
- Paper submitted July 19, 2007; revised manuscript accepted May 27, 2008.
- 1975. Manual of quantitative genetics. Washington State University Press, Pullman .
- 1989. Behavioral-modification as a means of reducing the cost of reproduction. The American Naturalist 134:225–238.
- 1993. Quantitative genetics of snake populations. Pages 315–362 in R. A.Seigel and J. T.Collins, editors. Snakes: ecology and behavior. McGraw-Hill, New York . , and .
- 2000. Experimental evidence for the adaptive evolution of growth rate in the garter snake Thamnophis elegans. Evolution 54:1760–1767.
- 2007. Four decades of opposing natural and human-induced artificial selection acting on Windermere pike (Esox lucius). Ecology Letters 10:512–521. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Adaptive dynamics and evolving biodiversity. Pages 188–224 in R.Ferrière, U.Diekmann, and C.Couvet, editors. Evolutionary conservation biology. University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- 2002. Repeatability estimates do not always set an upper limit to heritability. Functional Ecology 16:273–280.
- 1986. Natural selection in the wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton , New Jersey .
- 2004. Adaptive changes in harvested populations: plasticity and evolution of age and size at maturation. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B—Biological Sciences 271:415–423. , , and .
- 1981. Introduction to quantitative genetics. 2nd edition. Longman, London .
- 1991. Sources of variation in estimating litter characteristics of the garter snake, Thamnophis elegans. Journal of Herpetology 25:261–268. , and .
- 2000. Rattlesnake commercialization: long-term trends, issues, and implications for conservation. Wildlife Society Bulletin 28:235–253. , and .
- 1994. Quantitative genetics of locomotor behavior and physiology in a garter snake. Pages 251–277 in C.R.P.Boake, editor. Quantitative genetics studies of the evolution of behavior. University Chicago Press, Chicago , Illinois . .
- 1992. Snake litter size = live young + dead young + yolks. Herpetological Journal 2:145–146. , , and .
- 2002. Natural history of the reptiles (Hachurui no shinka). University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo (in Japanese ). .
- 2005. Life history consequences of overexploitation to population recovery in northwest Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:824–832. .
- Insightful Corporation. 2003. S-Plus, academic site release. Version 6.2. Insightful, Murray Hill , New Jersey .
- 2004. Heritable variation in testosterone levels in male garter snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis). Journal of Zoology 264:143–147. , , and .
- 2007. Contemporary evolution meets conservation biology ii: impediments to integration and application. Ecological Research 22:947–954. , , and .
- 2005. Phenotypic effects on survival of neonatal northern watersnakes Nerodia sipedon. Journal of Animal Ecology 74:259–265. , and .
- 2000. Fishing, selection, and phenotypic evolution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:659–668. .
- 1987. Unrepeatable repeatabilities: a common mistake. Auk 104:116–121. , and .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , Massachusetts . , and .
- 1979. Evolution of life histories in response to age-specific mortality factors. The American Naturalist 113:531–550.
- 2004. Thermal effects on the antipredator behaviour of snakes: a review and proposed terminology. Herpetological Journal 14:79–87. , and .
- 2007. Geographic variation of reproduction in Japanese mamushi. Bulletin of the Herpetological Society of Japan 2007:88–89 (in Japanese ).
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Assessing changes in age and size at maturation in collapsing populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:811–823. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Rapid evolution of escape ability in Trinidadian guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Evolution 56:776–784. , , and .
- 2004. Loss of body mass under predation risk: cost of antipredatory behaviour or adaptive fit-for-escape? Animal Behaviour 67:511–521. , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary responses to harvesting in ungulates. Journal of Animal Ecology 76:669–678. , , and .
- 1974. Squeeze box technique for measuring snakes. Herpetological Review 5:35. , and .
- 2005. Can adaptation lead to extinction? Oikos 111:616–619. , and .
- 2005. The heritability of inducible defenses in tadpoles. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 18:856–866.
- 2005. Selection in nature: experimental manipulations of natural populations. Integrative and Comparative Biology 45:456–462. , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Chapman & Hall, New York .
- 1992. Patterns of survival, growth, and maturation in snakes and lizards. The American Naturalist 139:1257–1269. , and .
- 2003. Physiological epistasis, ontogenetic conflict and natural selection on physiology and life history. Integrative and Comparative Biology 43:419–430. , and .
- SPSS. 2005. SPSS 14.0 for Windows. Release 14.0.0. SPSS, Chicago .
- 2004. Do harvest refuges buffer kangaroos against evolutionary responses to selective harvesting? Ecology 85:2003–2017. ., , , and .
- 1996. Mamushi, habu, beni-hebi. Pages 101–102 in S.Sengoku, T.Hikida, M.Matsui, and K.Nakaya, editors. The encyclopaedia of animals in Japan 5: amphibians, reptiles, chondrichthes. Heibonsha, Tokyo (in Japanese ). .
- 2006. Maladaptive changes in multiple traits caused by fishing: Impediments to population recovery. Ecology Letters 9:142–148. , , , and .
- 1996. Biostatistical analysis. 3rd edition. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River , New Jersey .
- 2004. International trade status and crisis for snake species in China. Conservation Biology 18:1386–1394. , and .