Impact of Native Plants on Bird and Butterfly Biodiversity in Suburban Landscapes
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 219–224, February 2009
How to Cite
BURGHARDT, K. T., TALLAMY, D. W. and GREGORY SHRIVER, W. (2009), Impact of Native Plants on Bird and Butterfly Biodiversity in Suburban Landscapes. Conservation Biology, 23: 219–224. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01076.x
- Issue published online: 14 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2008
- Paper submitted October 1, 2007; revised manuscript accepted June 16, 2008.
- 1982. Effects of urbanization on avian community organization. Condor 84:75–83. , and .
- 1988. On the evolution of host specificity in phytophagous arthropods. Ecology 69:886–892. , and .
- 2005. The truth about invasive species. Discover May:35–39.
- 1999. Field guide to the birds of North America. 3rd edition. National Geographic Society, Washington , D.C.
- 2004. Importance of size and landscape context to urban bird conservation. Conservation Biology 18:733–745. , and .
- 1964. Butterflies and plants: a study in coevolution. Evolution 19:586–608. , and .
- 1988. The birder's handbook: a field guide to the natural history of North American birds. Fireside Books, New York . , , and .
- 2006. Effects of invasive exotic grasses on south Texas rangeland breeding birds. The Auk 123:171–182. , ., , , , , , and .
- 2006. Food limitation during breeding in a heterogeneous landscape. The Auk 123:97–107. , and .
- 1993. House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus), the birds of North America online. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York. Available from http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/046 (accessed January 2008).
- 1999. Ecological methodology. 2nd edition. Harper Collins, New York .
- 2005. Reproductive success of chestnut-collared longspurs in native and exotic grassland. The Condor 107:363-374 , and .
- 1998. Linking winter and summer events in a migratory bird by using stable-carbon isotopes. Science 282:1884–1886. , , and .
- 2005. Food limits annual fecundity of a migratory songbird: an experimental study. Ecology 86:675–681. , and .
- 2005. Update on the environmental and economic costs associated with alien-invasive species in the United States. Ecological Economics 52:273–288. , , and .
- 2004. Partners in Flight North American landbird conservation plan. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca , New York . , et al.
- Rosenthal, G. A., and D. H.Janzen, editors. 1979. Herbivores: their interaction with secondary plant metabolites. Academic Press, New York .
- 2000. The Sibley guide to birds. Chanticleer Press, New York .
- 1949. Measurement of diversity. Nature 163:688.
- 1982. The richness, abundance and biomass of the arthropod communities on trees. Journal of Animal Ecology 51:635–649. , , and .
- 2004. Do alien plants reduce insect biomass? Conservation Biology 18:1689–1692.
- USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture). 2007. The PLANTS database. USDA, National Resource Conservation Service, National Plant Data Center , Baton Rouge , Louisiana . Available from http://plants.usda.gov (accessed February 2007).
- 2005. Caterpillars of eastern North America. Princeton University Press, Princeton , New Jersey .
- 1988. Herbivorous insects/plant interactions. Pages 140–183 in W. G.Abrahamson, editor. Plant-animal interactions—a textbook. Macmillan, New York . , and .
- 1989. Plant and bird communities of native prairie and introduced Eurasian vegetation in Manitoba, Canada. Conservation Biology 3:39–44. , and .