Influence of Landscape Elements in Riparian Buffers on the Conservation of Semiaquatic Amphibians
Article first published online: 21 OCT 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 114–123, February 2009
How to Cite
FICETOLA, G. F., PADOA-SCHIOPPA, E. and DE BERNARDI, F. (2009), Influence of Landscape Elements in Riparian Buffers on the Conservation of Semiaquatic Amphibians. Conservation Biology, 23: 114–123. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01081.x
- Issue published online: 14 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 21 OCT 2008
- Paper submitted February 22, 2008; revised manuscript accepted June 30, 2008.
- 2005. Measuring landscape connectivity: the challenge of behavioral landscape ecology. Ecology 86:1988–1995.
- 1990. Dispersal in the wood frog (Rana sylvatica): implications for genetic population structure. Evolution 44:2047–2056. , and .
- 2006. Abundance patterns of dragonflies along a wetland buffer. Wetlands 26:878–883. , and .
- 2003. Terrestrial activity and conservation of adult California red-legged frogs Rana aurora draytonii in coastal forests and grasslands. Biological Conservation 110:85–95. , , and .
- 1995. Terrestrial buffer zones and wetland conservation: a case study of freshwater turtles in a Carolina bay. Conservation Biology 9:1365–1369. , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer-Verlag, New York . , and .
- 2005. Principles of planning and establishment of buffer zones. Ecological Engineering 24:433–439.
- 2007. Estimation of core terrestrial habitat for stream-breeding salamanders and delineation of riparian buffers for protection of biodiversity. Conservation Biology 21:152–158. , and .
- 2006. Effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on amphibians: a review and prospectus. Biological Conservation 128:231–240.
- 1996. Phénologie et domaine vital de la salamandre terrestre Salamandra salamandra terrestris (Amphibia, Caudata) dans un bois du Pays de Herve (Belgique). Chaiers d'Ethologie 16:291–306.
- 2007. Landscape level thresholds and newt conservation. Ecological Applications 17:302–309. , and .
- 2008. Conservation of newt guilds in an agricultural landscape of Belgium: the importance of aquatic and terrestrial habitats. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 18:714–728. , and .
- 1995. Effect of road traffic on amphibian density. Biological Conservation 73:177–182. , , , , and .
- 2004. Amphibians in an human-dominated landscape: the community structure is related to habitat features and isolation. Biological Conservation 119:219–230. , and .
- 2004. The importance of aquatic and terrestrial habitat for the European pond turtle (Emys orbicularis): implications for conservation planning and management. Canadian Journal of Zoology 82:1704–1712. , , , , , and .
- 2007a. Genetic diversity, but not hatching success, is jointly affected by post glacial colonization and isolation in the threatened frog, Rana latastei. Molecular Ecology 16:1787–1797. , , and .
- 2007b. Vertebrates respond differently to human disturbance: implications for the use of a focal species approach. Acta Oecologica 31:109–118. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Terrestrial habitat: a vital component for herpetofauna of isolated wetlands. Wetlands 23:630–635.
- Hanski, I., and O. E.Gaggiotti, editors. 2004. Ecology, genetics and evolution of metapopulations. Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego , California .
- Heyer, W. R., M. A.Donnelly, R. W.McDiarmid, L. C.Hayek, and M. S.Foster, editors. 1994. Measuring and monitoring biological diversity: standard methods for amphibians. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington , D.C .
- 1997. Genetic substructuring as a result of barriers to gene flow in urban Rana temporaria (common frog) populations: implications for biodiversity conservation. Heredity 79:117–127. , and .
- 2006. The movements and breeding site fidelity of the natterjack toad (Bufo calamita) in an urban park near Paris (France) with management recommendations. Amphibia-Reptilia 27:561–568. , , and .
- 1968. Données écologiques sur la salamandre tachetée Salamandra salamandra. Annales des Sciences Naturelles Zoologie–Paris 12:301–366.
- 2001. Landscape ecology approaches to wetland species conservation: a case study of two turtle species in Southern Maine. Conservation Biology 15:1755–1762. , , and .
- 2003. Responses of periphyton and insects to experimental manipulations of riparian buffer width along forest streams. Journal of Applied Ecology 40:1060–1076. , , and .
- 1998. Numerical ecology. Elsevier, Amsterdam . , and .
- 2007. Concerns regarding a call for pluralism of information theory and hypothesis testing. Journal of Applied Ecology 44:456–460. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Comparative study of experimental approaches to the study of habitat fragmentation effects. Ecological Applications 12:335–345. , and .
- 2001. Metapopulations dynamics and Amphibian conservation. Conservation Biology 15:40–49. , and .
- 2006. Can occupancy patterns be used to predict distributions in widely separated geographic regions? Oecologia 149:396–405. , and .
- 2005. Vegan: community ecology package. Department of Statistics and Mathematics, Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration , Vienna . Available from http://www.r-project.org (accessed June 2007). , , and .
- 2007. Critical threshold effects of benthiscape structure on stream herbivore movement. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 362:461–472.
- Olson, D. H., W. P.Leonard, and R. B.Bury, editors. 1997. Sampling amphibians in lentic habitats. Society for Northwestern Vertebrate Biology, Olympia , Washington .
- 2007. Biodiversity management approaches for stream-riparian areas: perspectives for Pacific Northwest headwater forests, microclimates, and amphibians. Forest Ecology and Management 246:81–107. , , , , and .
- 2006. Urban amphibian assemblages as metacommunities. Journal of Animal Ecology 75:757–764.
- 2004. A concentric analysis of the impact of urbanization on the threatened European tree frog in an agricultural landscape. Conservation Biology 18:1599–1606. , , and .
- 1998. Clutch size, egg survival and migration distance in the agile frog (Rana dalmatina) in a floodplain. Archiv fuer Hydrobiologie 12:343–352. , and .
- 2007. Heterogeneous wetland complexes, buffer zones, and travel corridors: landscape management for freshwater reptiles. Biological Conservation 135:67–76. , and .
- 2007. Defining population boundaries: use of three Bayesian approaches with microsatellite data from British natterjack toads (Bufo calamita). Molecular Ecology 16:785–796. , and .
- 2001. Edge effects on lizards and frogs in tropical forest fragments. Conservation Biology 15:1079–1090. , and .
- 1976. Dispersal and movement of newly transformed green frogs, Rana clamitans. American Midland Naturalist 95:471–474.
- 2007. A PIT tag based analysis of annual movement patterns of adult fire salamanders (Salamandra salamandra) in a Middle European habitat. Amphibia-Reptilia 28:531–536. , , and .
- 1998. Biological delineation of terrestrial buffer zones for pond-breeding salamanders. Conservation Biology 12:1113–1119.
- 2003. Biological criteria for buffer zones around wetlands and riparian habitats for amphibians and reptiles. Conservation Biology 17:1219–1228. , and .
- Sindaco, R., G.Doria, E.Razzetti, and F.Bernini, editors. 2006. Atlas of Italian amphibians and reptiles. Polistampa, Firenze , Italy .
- 2005. Dispersal and the metapopulation paradigm in amphibian ecology and conservation: are all amphibian populations metapopulations? Ecography 28:110–128. , and .
- 1995. Biometry. W. H. Freeman, New York . , and .
- 2005. Phaenologie, Aktivitaet und Wachstum von Springfroeschen (Rana dalmatina) in unterschiedlichen Sommerlebensraeumen in Suedostniedersachsen. Zeitschrift fuer Feldherpetologie 12:71–99.
- 2003. Landscape-dependent response to predation risk by forest birds. Oikos 100:614–618. , and .
- 2005. Local and landscape influence on amphibian occurrence and abundance. Ecology 86:1936–1947.
- 1996. Comparison of habitat-isolation parameters in relation to fragmented distribution pattern in the tree frog (Hyla arborea). Landscape Ecology 11:203–214. , and .
- 2007. Should conservation strategies consider spatial generality? Farmland birds show regional not national patterns of habitat association. Ecology Letters 10:25–35. , , , , , and .