Biofuel Plantations on Forested Lands: Double Jeopardy for Biodiversity and Climate
Article first published online: 24 NOV 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 2, pages 348–358, April 2009
How to Cite
DANIELSEN, F., BEUKEMA, H., BURGESS, N. D., PARISH, F., BRÜHL, C. A., DONALD, P. F., MURDIYARSO, D., PHALAN, B., REIJNDERS, L., STRUEBIG, M. and FITZHERBERT, E. B. (2009), Biofuel Plantations on Forested Lands: Double Jeopardy for Biodiversity and Climate. Conservation Biology, 23: 348–358. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01096.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 24 NOV 2008
- Paper submitted February 4, 2008; revised manuscript accepted August 20, 2008.
- 2003. Adaptation to climate change in the developing world. Progress in Development Studies 3:179–195. , , , , and .
- 2006. Changes in bird communities following conversion of lowland forest to oil palm and rubber plantations in southern Thailand. Bird Conservation International 16:71–82. , , and .
- 1995. Meta-analysis: synthesizing research findings in ecology and evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 10:236–240. , and .
- 2005. Impacts of tropical forest fragmentation on fruit-feeding nymphalid butterflies in Sabah, Borneo. Ph.D. thesis. Institute for Tropical Biology and Conservation. Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Kota Kinabalu , Sabah , Malaysia .
- 2004. Terrestrial pteridophytes as indicators of a forest-like environment in rubber production systems in the lowlands of Jambi, Sumatra. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 104:63–73. , and .
- 2007. Plant and bird diversity in rubber agroforests in the lowlands of Sumatra, Indonesia. Agroforestry Systems 70:217–242. , , , , and .
- 2005. Cruel oil. Center for Science in the Public Interest, Washington , D.C . , and .
- 2001. Leaf litter ant communities in tropical lowland rain forests in Sabah, Malaysia: effects of forest disturbance and fragmentation. Thesis. University of Würzburg, Würzburg , Germany .
- 2005. The oil for ape scandal. Friends of the Earth, The Ape Alliance, The Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation, The Orangutan Foundation (U.K.), and the Sumatran Orangutan Society. Friends of the Earth Trust, London .
- 2007. Palm oil markets and future supply. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology 109:307–314. , , , , and .
- 2003. Oil palm, soybeans and critical habitat loss. World Wide Fund for Nature, Gland , Switzerland .
- 1997. Changes in abundance and behaviour of vector mosquitoes induced by land use during the development of an oil palm plantation in Sarawak. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 91:382–386. , , , and .
- 2006. Impacts of forest conversion on biodiversity as indicated by moths. Malayan Nature Journal 57:383–418.
- 2000. The diversity of beetle assemblages in different habitat types in Sabah, Malaysia. Bulletin of Entomological Research 90:475–496. , , , , and .
- CNA Corporation. 2007. National security and the threat of climate change. CNA Corporation, Alexandria , Virginia . Available from http://www.securityandclimate.cna.org (accessed March 2008).
- 2005. EstimateS: statistical estimation of species richness and shared species from samples. Version 8.0. User's guide and application. University of Connecticut, Storrs .
- 2004. Interpolating, extrapolating, and comparing incidence-based species accumulation curves. Ecology 85:2717–2727. , , and .
- Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD). 2007. Recommendation XII/5 and XII/7 from 12th Meeting of The Subsidiary Body on Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice of the Convention on Biological Diversity 2007. CBD, Montreal . Available from http://www.cbd.int/meetings/sbstta-12/ (accessed September 2008).
- Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD). 2008. Recommendation IX/2 from the 9th Convention of Parties in Bonn 2008. CBD, Montreal . Available from http://www.cbd.int/decisions/?dec=IX/2 (accessed September 2008).
- 2008. Fuelling exclusion? The biofuels boom and poor people's access to land. International Institute for Environment and Development, London . , , and .
- 2007. The future of biofuels. Economic Research Service, Washington , D.C .
- 1995. Impact of logging and plantation development on species diversity: a case study from Sumatra. Pages 73–92 in Ø.Sandbukt, editor. Management of tropical forests: towards an integrated perspective. University of Oslo, Oslo , Norway . , and .
- 2005. Effect of deforestation on a southwest Ghana dung beetle assemblage (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) at the periphery of Ankasa Conservation Area. Environmental Entomology 34:1081–1088. , and .
- 1999. Smoke-haze from the 1997 Indonesian forest fires: effects on pollution levels, local climate, atmospheric CO2 concentrations, and tree photosynthesis. Forest Ecology and Management 124:137–144. , and .
- 2008. The bio-fuel debate and fossil energy use in palm oil production: a critique of Reijnders and Huijbregts 2007. Journal of Cleaner Production DOI: DOI: 10.1016/jclepro.2008.01.009.
- 2004. Biodiversity impacts of some agricultural commodity production systems. Conservation Biology 18:17–37.
- 2008. Land clearing and the biofuel carbon debt. Science DOI: DOI: 10.1126/science.1152747. , , , , and .
- 2004. Tropical deforestation and greenhouse-gas emissions. Ecological Applications 14:982–986. , and .
- 2008. How will oil palm expansion affect biodiversity? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:538–545. , , , , , , and .
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). 2006. Global forest assessment 2005. FAO forestry paper 147. FAO, Rome .
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). 2007. FAOSTAT. FAO, Rome . Available from http://faostat.fao.org/ (accessed January 2008).
- 2007. Biodiesel: a new Oildorado? Energy Policy 35:1675–1684. , and .
- 2007. Predicting the uncertain future of tropical forest species in a data vacuum. Biotropica 39:25–30. , , , and .
- 1996. The Imperata grasslands of tropical Asia: area, distribution, and typology. Agroforestry Systems 36:3–29. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Proximate causes and underlying driving forces of tropical deforestation. BioScience 52:143–150. , and .
- 2007. Estimation of the impact of oil palm plantation establishment on greenhouse gas balance. Environment, Development and Sustainability DOI: DOI: 10.1007/s10668--006-9080--1. , and .
- 2001. Lizard diversity and agricultural disturbance in a Caribbean forest landscape. Biodiversity and Conservation 10:711–723. , , , and .
- 2001. Quantifying biodiversity: procedures and pitfalls in the measurement and comparison of species richness. Ecology Letters 3:379–391. , and .
- 2008. Biofuels and biodiversity: principles for creating better policies for biofuel production. Conservation Biology 22:602–609. , , and .
- 1999. Statistical Issues in Ecological meta-analysis. Ecology 80:1142–1149. , and .
- 2006. Biodiversity and abundance of terrestrial isopods along a gradient of disturbance in Sabah, East Malaysia. European Journal of Soil Biology 42:S197–S207. , , , , , and .
- 2006. PEAT-CO2, assessment of CO2 emissions from drained peatlands in SE Asia. Delft Hydraulics, Delft , The Netherlands . , , , and .
- 2001. Hyper-abundance of native wild pigs (Sus scrofa) in a lowland dipterocarp rain forest of peninsular Malaysia. Biotropica 33:682–690.
- 2007. Cashing in palm oil for conservation. Nature 448:993–994. , and .
- 2008. Is oil palm agriculture really destroying tropical biodiversity? Conservation Letters DOI: DOI: 10.1111/j.1755--263x.2008.00011.x. , and .
- 2008. Biofuels policies in Asian countries: impact of the expanded biofuels programs on world agricultural markets. Journal of Agricultural and Food Industrial Organization 5: http://www.bepress.com/jafio/vol5/iss2/art8. , and .
- 2007. Forest destruction in tropical Asia. Current Science 93:1544–1550.
- 2001. Bee diversity along a disturbance gradient in tropical lowland forests of South East Asia. Journal of Applied Ecology 38:180–192. , , and .
- 2007. The conservation of tigers and other wildlife in oil palm plantations, Jambi Province, Sumatra, Indonesia. Zoological Society of London. , , , and .
- 2002. Environmental benefits and sustainable land-use options in the Jambi transect, Sumatra. Journal of Vegetation Science 13:429–438. , , , , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403:853–858. , , , , and .
- The Scarabaeinae Research Network. 2007. Global dung beetle response to tropical forest modification and fragmentation: A quantitative literature review and meta-analysis. Biological Conservation 137:1–19. , , , , , , , and
- 2004. Biomass allocation and growth data of seeded plants. Data set. Oak Ridge National Laboratory Distributed Active Archive Center, Oak Ridge , Tennessee . Available from http://www.daac.ornl.gov (accessed March 2008). , and .
- Parish, F., A.Sirin, D.Charman, H.Joosten, T.Minaeva, and M.Silvius, editors. 2007. Assessment of peatlands, biodiversity and climate change. Global Environment Centre, Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia , and Wetlands International, Wageningen , The Netherlands .
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. , and .
- 2005. Lowland rainforest avifauna and human disturbance: persistence of primary forest birds in selectively logged forests and mixed rural habitats of southern Peninsular Malaysia. Biological Conservation 123:489–505. , , , , and .
- 2006. Conservation value of degraded habitats for forest birds in southern Peninsular Malaysia. Diversity and Distributions 12:572–581. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Palm oil as a fuel for agricultural diesel engines: comparative testing against diesel oil. Journal of Science and Technology 25:317–326. , and .
- 2008. Palm oil and the emission of carbon-based greenhouse gases. Journal of Cleaner Production 16:477–482. , and .
- 2007. Carbon mitigation by biofuels or by saving and restoring forests? Science 317:902. , and .
- 1975. Diversity and organization of the ground foraging ant faunas of forest, grassland and tree crops in Papua New Guinea. Australian Journal of Zoology 23:71–89.
- 2000. MetaWin. Version 2. Statistical software for meta analysis. Sinauer Associates, Boston , Massachusetts . , , and .
- Round Table on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO). 2007. Principles and criteria for sustainable palm oil. RSPO, Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia .
- Royal Society. 2008. Sustainable biofuels: prospects and challenges. The Royal Society, London .
- 2008. How green are biofuels? Science 319:43–44. , and .
- 2004. Small cats in human modified landscapes in Sumatra. Cat News 40:23–25. , , and .
- 2007. Clearing the way for reducing emissions from tropical deforestation. Journal of Environmental Science and Policy 10:322–334. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Southeast Asian biodiversity: an impending disaster. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19:654–660. , , , and .
- 1993. Tropical rain forests as carbon sinks. Chemosphere 27:1025–1039.
- 2007. Palm oil: addressing issues and towards sustainable development. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews DOI:DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2007.10.001. , , , and .
- 2001. Forecasting agriculturally driven global environmental change. Science 292:281–284. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Oil palm research in context: identifying the need for biodiversity assessment. PLoS ONE 3(2): e1572. DOI:DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0001572. , , , and .
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). 2007. GAIN report Indonesia oilseeds PSD tables for oil palm. USDA, Washington , D.C . Available from http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome (accessed January 2008).
- 1999. Damage and recovery of four Philippine corals from short-term sediment burial. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 176:11–15. , , , , and .