Biodiversity Conservation in Local Planning
Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 53–63, February 2009
How to Cite
MILLER, J. R., GROOM, M., HESS, G. R., STEELMAN, T., STOKES, D. L., THOMPSON, J., BOWMAN, T., FRICKE, L., KING, B. and MARQUARDT, R. (2009), Biodiversity Conservation in Local Planning. Conservation Biology, 23: 53–63. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01110.x
- Issue online: 14 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 6 NOV 2008
- Paper submitted March 17, 2008; revised manuscript accepted May 29, 2008.
- R. S.Ostfeld, G. M.Tabor, C.House, and M. C.Pearl, editors. 2002. Conservation medicine: ecological health in practice. Oxford University Press, New York . ,
- 2004. Urbanization on the US landscape: looking ahead in the 21st century. Landscape and Urban Planning 69:219–234. , , and .
- 2006. An evaluation of agency conservation guidelines to better address planning efforts by local government. Landscape and Urban Planning 77:255–262. , and .
- 1999. Noah's mandate and the birth of urban bioplanning. Conservation Biology 13:677–678.
- 2007. Losing the dark: a case for a national policy on land conservation. Conservation Biology 21:1133–1134. , and .
- 2006. Fusion or failure? The future of conservation biology. Conservation Biology 20:692–695. , and .
- 2000. Preserving biodiversity: challenges for planners. Journal of the American Planning Association 66:5–20.
- 2004. Public policies for managing urban growth and protecting open space: policy instruments and lessons learned in the United States. Landscape and Urban Planning 69:271–286. , , and .
- 1992. State growth management: intergovernmental frameworks and policy objectives. Journal of the American Planning Association 58:454–466.
- 2003. Conserving ecosystems locally: a role for ecologists in land-use planning. BioScience 53:670–673.
- 2006. Species imperilment and spatial patterns of development in the United States. Conservation Biology 20:239–244. , and .
- 2000. Economic associations among causes of species endangerment in the United States. Bioscience 50:593–601. , , and .
- 2000. Ecological principles and guidelines for managing the use of land. Ecological Applications 10:639–670. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Integrating conservation of biodiversity into local planning. Pages 313–334 in E. A.Johnson and M. W.Klemens, editors. Nature in fragments: the legacy of sprawl. Columbia University Press, New York . , and .
- 2000. Mail and internet surveys: the tailored design method. 2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons, New York .
- 2005. Nature-friendly communities: habitat protection and land use planning. Island Press, Washington , D.C. , and .
- 1997. Habitat protection planning: where the wild things are. Planning advisory service report 470–471. American Planning Association, Chicago . , , , , and .
- 2002. The missing catalyst: design and planning with ecological roots. Pages 85–110 in B. R.Johnson and K.Hill, editors. Ecology and design: frameworks for learning. Island Press, Washington , D.C.
- 2003. Drafting a conservation blueprint: a practitioner's guide to planning for biodiversity. Island Press, Washington , D.C.
- 2005. Effects of exurban development on biodiversity: patterns, mechanisms, and research needs. Ecological Applications 15:1893–1905. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Socioeconomics drive urban plant diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100:8788–8792. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. The three phases of land-use change: implications for biodiversity. Ecological Applications 15:1864–1878.
- 1998. Restoring life in running waters: better biological monitoring. Island Press, Washington , D.C. , and .
- 2005. The context and causes of sprawl. Pages 3–17 in E. A.Johnson and M. W.Klemens, editors. Nature in fragments: the legacy of sprawl. Columbia University Press, New York .
- 2007. What's in Noah's wallet? Land conservation spending in the United States. BioScience 57:419–423. , , and .
- 2007. A checklist for ecological management of landscapes for conservation. Ecology Letters 11:78–91. , et al.
- 2004. Neighborhood socioeconomic status is a useful predictor of perennial landscape vegetation in residential neighborhoods and embedded small parks of Phoenix, AZ. Landscape and Urban Planning 69:355–368. , , and .
- 2004. Nature-friendly ordinances. Environmental Law Institute, Washington , D.C. .
- 2007. Linking conservation and land use planning: using the state wildlife action plans to protect wildlife from urbanization. Defenders of Wildlife, Washington , D.C. , and .
- 2007. A framework for understanding conservation development and its ecological implications. BioScience 57:757–768.
- 2005. Biodiversity conservation and the extinction of experience. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 20:430–434.
- 2007. Habitat and landscape design: concepts, constraints and opportunities. Pages 81–95 in D.Lindenmayer and R. J.Hobbs, editors. Landscapes for conservation: moving from perspectives to principles. Blackwell Publishing, Malden, Massachusetts .
- 2002. Conservation where people live and work. Conservation Biology 16:330–337. , and .
- 2004. Open ground: effective local strategies for protecting natural resources. Environmental Law Institute, Washington , D.C.
- 2005. The wildland-urban interface in the United States. Ecological Applications 15:799–805. , , , , , and .
- SAS Institute. 2007. JMP. Version 7. SAS Institute, Cary , North Carolina .
- 2006. Using psychology to save biodiversity and human well-being. Conservation Biology 20:702–705. , , and .
- 2002. Conservation's disenfranchised urban poor. BioScience 52:601–606. , , and .
- 2001. Nature reserves: do they capture the full range of America's biological diversity? Ecological Applications 11:999–1007. , , , , , and .
- SPSS. 2007. SPSS for Windows. Release 15.0.1. SPSS, Chicago .
- 2002. Community-based involvement in biodiversity protection in the United States. Pages 142–167 in T.O'Riordan and S.Stoll-Kleemann, editors. Biodiversity, sustainability and human communities: protecting beyond the protected. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 2000. The living landscape: an ecological approach to landscape planning. 2nd edition. McGraw-Hill, New York .
- 2007. Noah at the ballot box: status and challenges. BioScience 57:424–427.
- 2004. Overcoming barriers to ecologically sensitive land management. Journal of Planning Education and Research 24:141–153.
- U.S. Census Bureau. 1990. Statistical abstract of the United States. Government Printing Office , Washington , D.C.
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2000. Census 2000 gateway. U.S. Census Bureau, Washington , D.C. Available from http://www.census.gov/main/www/cen2000.html (accessed October 2007).
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2007. Statistical abstract of the United States. U.S. Census Bureau, Washington , D.C. Available from http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/ (accessed August 2007).
- 1998. Quantifying threats to imperiled species in the United States. BioScience 48:607–615. , , , , and .
- 2005. Conserving biodiversity through state and regional planning. Pages 284–312 in E. A.Johnson and M. W.Klemens, editors. Nature in fragments: the legacy of sprawl. Columbia University Press, New York . , , and .