Use of Empirically Derived Source-Destination Models to Map Regional Conservation Corridors
Article first published online: 6 NOV 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 2, pages 368–376, April 2009
How to Cite
CUSHMAN, S. A., McKELVEY, K. S. and SCHWARTZ, M. K. (2009), Use of Empirically Derived Source-Destination Models to Map Regional Conservation Corridors. Conservation Biology, 23: 368–376. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01111.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 6 NOV 2008
- Paper submitted January 21, 2008; revised manuscript accepted August 6, 2008.
- 1998. Do habitat corridors provide connectivity? Conservation Biology 12:1241–1252. , and .
- 2006. Connecting the dots: an invariant migration corridor links the Holocene to the present. Biology Letters 2:528–531. , , and .
- 1977. Turnover rates in insular biogeography: effect of immigration on extinction. Ecology 58:445–449. , and .
- 2001. Carnivores as focal species for conservation in the Rocky Mountain region. Ecological Applications 11:961–980. , , and .
- 2003. Responding to the idea of transboundary conservation: an overview of public reaction to the Yellowstone to Yukon (Y2Y) conservation initiative. Journal of Sustainable Forestry 17:103–125.
- 2007. A resistant kernel model of connectivity for vernal pool breeding amphibians. Conservation Biology 21:788–799. , , , and .
- 2006. Connectivity conservation: maintaining connections for nature. Pages 1–20 in K. R.Crooks and M.Sanjayan, editors. Connectivity conservation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- 2006. Effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on amphibians: a review and prospectus. Biological Conservation 128:321–240.
- 2006. Gene flow in complex landscapes: testing multiple hypotheses with causal modeling. The American Naturalist 168:486–499. , , , and .
- 2009. Identifying corridors and barriers to elephant movement in southern Africa. In press in F.Huettmann and S. A.Cushman, editors. Spatial information management in wildlife ecology. Springer-Verlag, Tokyo . , , and .
- ESRI (Environmental Systems Research Incorporated). 2003. ArcGIS. ESRI, Redlands , California .
- 2003. Effects of habitat fragmentation on biodiversity. Annual Reviews of Ecology and Systematics 34:487–515.
- 1995. Effect of road traffic on amphibian density. Biological Conservation 73:177–182. , , , , and .
- 2002. Patchy reaction-diffusion and population abundance: the relative importance of habitat amount and arrangement. The American Naturalist 159:40–56. , and .
- 1999. The Wildlands Project: the Yellowstone to Yukon conservation initiative and sky islands wildlands network. Environments 27:45–53.
- 1998. Amphibian movements in response to forest edges, roads, and streambeds in southern New England. Journal of Wildlife Management 62:584–589. ,
- 1995. Dispersal and use of corridors by birds in wooded patches on an agricultural landscape. Conservation Biology 9:845–854.
- 1998. Metapopulation dynamics. Nature 396:41–49.
- 1991. Local extinction in a metapopulation context: an empirical evaluation. Pages 73–88 in M. E.Gilpin and I.Hanski, editors. Metapopulation dynamics: empirical and theoretical investigations. Academic Press, London . ,
- 1999. Habita fragmentation and large-scale conservation: what do we know for sure? Ecography 22:225–232. , and .
- 1992. The role of corridors in conservation: solution of bandwagon. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 7:389–392.
- 2003. Predicting which species will benefit from corridors in fragmented landscapes from population growth models. The American Naturalist 161:808–820. , and .
- 2005. Among and within patch components of genetic diversity respond at different rates to habitat fragmentation: an empirical demonstration. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 272:553–560. , , , and .
- 2001. The Yellowstone to Yukon conservation initiative: reconstructing boundaries, biodiversity and beliefs. Pages 123–162 in J.Blatter and H.Ingram, editors. Reflections on water: new approaches to transboundary conflicts and cooperation. The MIT press, Cambridge , Massachusetts .
- 2003. Landscape genetics: the combination of landscape ecology and population genetics. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:1807–1816 , , , and .
- 2002. Comparative evaluation of experimental approaches to the study of habitat fragmentation effects. Ecological Applications 12:335–345. , and .
- 2005. The gradient concept of landscape structure. Pages 112–119 in J.Wiens and M.Moss, editors. Issues and perspectives in landscape ecology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- 1994. Linkage zone identification and evaluation of management options for grizzly bears in the Evaro Hill area. M.S. thesis. University of Montana , Missoula , Montana .
- 1996. Conservation biology and carnivore conservation in the Rocky Mountains. Conservation Biology 10:949–963.
- 1990. The influence of land use on the genetic structure of populations of the common frog (Rana temporaria). Biological Conservation 54:239–249. , and .
- 1997. Biological corridors: form, function, and efficacy. Linear conservation areas may function as biological corridors, but they may not mitigate against additional habitat loss. BioScience 47:677–687. , , and .
- 1996. Identification of potential linkage zones for grizzly bears in the Swan-Clearwater valley using GIS. M.S. thesis. University of Montana , Missoula , Montana .
- 1998. Are small, isolated wetlands expendable? Conservation Biology 12:1129–1133. and .
- 2005. Effect of expert opinion on the predictive ability of environmental models of bird distribution. Conservation Biology 19:512–522. , , and .
- 2001. Identification and management of linkage zones for grizzly bears between the large blocks of public land in the Northern Rocky Mountains. 2001. Pages 161–179 in C. L.Irwin, P.Garrett, and K. P.McDermott, eds. Proceedings of the International Conference of Ecology and Transportation. Center for Transportation and the Environment, North Carolina State University , Raleigh , North Carolina . , , and .
- 1992. Movement corridors: conservation bargains or poor investments. Conservation Biology 6:493–504. , , , and .
- 2005. Landscape genetics of the blotched tiger salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum). Molecular Ecology 14:2553–2564. , , , and .
- 1993. Connectivity is a vital element of landscape structure. Oikos 68:571–573. , , , and .
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 1993. Grizly bear recovery plan. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Missoula , Montana .
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2000. Grizzly bear recovery in the Bitterroot Ecosystem, Final Environmental Impact Statement. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Missoula , Montana .
- 2005. Effects of transportation infrastructure on grizzly bears in Northwestern Montana. Journal of Wildlife Management 69:985–1000. , and .
- 2007 Genetic variation and population structure in Native Americans. Public Library of Science Genetics DOI: DOI: 10.1371/journal.pgen.0030185. , et al.
- 1996. Resilience and conservation of large carnivores in the Rocky Mountains. Conservation Biology 10:964–976. , , and .
- 2003. Effect of habitat fragmentation on levels and patterns of genetic diversity in natural populations of peat moss Polytrichum commone. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 270:881–886. and .