Suitability of Amphibians and Reptiles for Translocation
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 7–15, February 2009
How to Cite
GERMANO, J. M. and BISHOP, P. J. (2009), Suitability of Amphibians and Reptiles for Translocation. Conservation Biology, 23: 7–15. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01123.x
- Issue published online: 14 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2008
- Paper submitted June 27, 2007; revised manuscript accepted July 21, 2008.
- 2007. Behavioral considerations of headstarting as a conservation strategy for endangered rock iguanas. Applied Animal Behavior Science 102:380–391.
- 2004. Testing the utility of headstarting as a conservation strategy for West Indian iguanas. Pages 210–219 in A. C.Alberts, R. L.Carter, W. K.Hayes, and E. P.Martins, editors. Iguanas: biology and conservation. University of California Press, Berkley, California . , , , and .
- 2001. Climate variability in regions of amphibian declines. Conservation Biology 15:930–942. , and .
- 2008. Directions in reintroduction biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:20–25. , and .
- 2004. The fate of a population of the endemic frog Lieopelma pakeka (Anura: Leiopelmatidae) translocated to restored habitat on Maud Island, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 31:123–131. , , and .
- 1995. Amphibians: suitable candidates for breeding-release programmes. Biodiversity and Conservation 4:636–644. , and .
- 1991. Relocations, repatriations, and translocations of amphibians and reptiles: take a broader view. Herpetologica 47:350–357.
- 2005a. Activity patterns and habitat preferences of translocated and resident tiger snakes (Notechis scutatus) in a suburban landscape. Wildlife Research 32:157–163. , , and .
- 2005b. The effects of translocation on the spatial ecology of tiger snakes (Notechis scutatus) in a suburban landscape. Wildlife Research 32:165–171. , , and .
- 1993. Zoo and laboratory experiments on the behavior of snakes: assessments of competence in captive-raised animals. American Zoologist 33:109–116. , , and .
- 1995. Effect of acute captivity stress on plasma concentrations of corticosterone and sex steroids in female whistling frogs, Litoria ewingi. General and Comparative Endocrinology 100:33–38. , and .
- 2008. Risks of a late start to captive management for conservation: phenotypic differences between wild and captive individuals of a viviparous endangered skink (Oligosoma otagense). Biological Conservation 141:1283–1292. , and .
- 2008. Testing the potential and limitations of herpetofaunal community restoration in an urban landscape at Gateway National Recreation Area, NY/NJ. R. E.Jung and J. C.Mitchell, editors. Urban herpetology. Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles, Salt Lake City , Utah . In press. .
- 1995. Establishment of populations of the common frog, Rana temporaria, and common toad, Bufo bufo, in a newly created reserve following translocation. Herpetological Journal 5:173–180. , and .
- 1999. Inverse density dependence and the Allee effect. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14:405–410. , , and .
- 1996. Disease risks of wildlife translocations. Conservation Biology 10:349–353.
- 1993. Publication bias: the problem that won't go away. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 703:135–146. , and .
- 1991. Relocation, repatriation, and translocation of amphibians and reptiles: are they conservation strategies that work? Herpetologica 47:336–350. , and .
- 2005. Evaluation of translocation as a tool for mitigating development threats to great crested newts (Triturus cristatus) in England, 1990–2001. Biological Conservation 122:45–52. , , and .
- 2007. Demise of repatriated populations of mountain yellow-legged frogs (Rana muscosa) in the Sierra Nevada of California. Herpetological Conservation and Biology 2:5–21. , , , and .
- 2000. An assessment of the published results of animal relocations. Biological Conservation 96:1–11. , and .
- 2007. The relationship between the emergence of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, the international trade in amphibians and introduced amphibian species. Fungal Biology Reviews 21:2–9. , and .
- 2007. Amphibian conservation action plan. World Conservation Union, Gland , Switzerland , and Cambridge, United Kingdom. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Species assessment for Wyoming toad (Bufo baxteri) in Wyoming. U.S. Bureau of Land Management, Cheyenne , Wyoming . , and .
- 2000. The global decline of reptiles, déjà vu amphibians. BioScience 50:653–666. , et al.
- 1979. Density dependence and homing behavior in adult red-spotted newts Notophthalmus viridescens (Rafinesque). Ecology 60:800–813.
- 1989. Translocation as a species conservation tool: status and strategy. Science 245:477–480. , , , and .
- 1997. Evaluation of a rattlesnake relocation program in the Tucson, Arizona, area. Sonoran Herpetologist 10:26–31. , and .
- 1996. Size related survival of headstarted redbelly turtles (Pseudemys rubriventris) in Massachusetts. Journal of Herpetology 30:524–527. , , , and .
- IUCN (World Conservation Union). 1987. IUCN Position statement on the translocation of living organisms: introductions, re-introductions, and re-stocking. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland .
- IUCN (World Conservation Union). 1998. Guidelines for re-introductions. IUCN/SSC Re-introduction Specialist Group. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland , and Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- 1993. Implications of infectious diseases for captive propagation and introduction programs of threatened/endangered reptiles. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 24:245–255.
- 2006. Captive breeding and the fitness of reintroduced species: a test of the responses to predators in a threatened amphibian. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:360–365. , , , and .
- 2004. Rapid suppression of testosterone secretion after capture in male American alligators (Alligator mississippiensis). General and Comparative Endocrinology 15:217–222. , , , and .
- 1997. Translocation of carnivores as a method for managing problem animals: a review. Biodiversity and Conservation 6:1245–1257. , , , , and .
- 1998. Decline of a tropical montane amphibian fauna. Conservation Biology 12:106–117.
- 2006. Emerging infectious disease and the loss of biodiversity in a Neotropical amphibian community. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103:3165–3170. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Restoration of an inbred adder population. Nature 402:34–35. , , , and .
- 2001. Effects of trapping and subsequent short-term confinement stress on plasma corticosterone in the brown treesnake (Boiga irregularis) on Guam. General and Comparative Endocrinology 124:106–114. , , and .
- 2006. Confronting amphibian declines and extinctions. Science 313:47–48. , et al.
- 1991. Reciprocal changes in corticosterone and testosterone levels following acute and chronic handling stress in the tree lizard, Urosaurus ornatus. General and Comparative Endocrinology 81:217–226. , , and .
- 2000. Movement of captive-released Orinoco Crocodiles (Crocodylus intermedius) in the Capanaparo River, Venezuela. Journal of Herpetology 34:397–403. , and .
- 2002. Establishing a new wild population of tuatara (Sphenodon guntheri). Conservation Biology 16:887–894. , , , and .
- 1999. Translocation of slow-worms (Anguis fragilis) as a mitigation strategy: a case study from south-east England. Biological Conservation 90:125–132. , and .
- 2001. Translocation of California red-legged frogs (Rana aurora draytonii). Wildlife Society Bulletin 29:1300–1303. , and .
- 1991. Translocation as a conservation strategy for amphibians and reptiles: some comments, concerns, and observations. Herpetologica 47:357–363.
- 2000. Publication bias: the ‘file-drawer’ problem in scientific inference. Journal of Scientific Exploration 14:91–106.
- 1999. Persistence without intervention: assessing success in wildlife reintroductions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14:503.
- 2005. Taxonomic bias in reintroduction projects. Animal Conservation 8:51–58. , , and .
- 2002. Translocations of amphibians: proven management method or experimental technique? Conservation Biology 16:552–554. , and .
- 2002. Critical elements for biological based recovery plans of aquatic-breeding amphibians. Conservation Biology 16:619–629.
- 2007. Someplace like home: experience, habitat selection and conservation biology. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 102:392–409. , and .
- 1999. Consequences of the Allee effect for behaviour, ecology and conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14:401–405. , and .
- 2004. Status and trends of amphibian declines and extinctions worldwide. Science 306:1783–1786. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Translocation of urban Gila Monsters: a problematic conservation tool. Biological Conservation 117:235–242. , , and .
- 2007. Revisiting translocation and reintroduction programmes: the importance of considering stress. Animal Behaviour 73:1–13. , , , , and .
- 2004. Leiopelma hamiltoni (NCN.) homing. Herpetological Review 35:259–261. , and .
- 2006. A modeling approach to determine a translocation scenario for the endangered New Zealand frog Leiopelma hamiltoni. Herpetological Journal 16:97–106. , , and .
- 2002. Amphibian translocation programs: reply to Seigel and Dodd. Conservation Biology 16:555–556. , and .
- 2005. Translocation as a conservation tool: site fidelity and movement of repatriated gopher tortoises (Gopherus polyphemus). Animal Conservation 8:349–358. , , , and .
- 1998. Relationships between corticosterone concentration and season, time of day and confinement in a wild reptile (tuatara, Sphenodon punctatus). General and Comparative Endocrinology 110:97–108. , and .
- 1993. Problem crocodiles, Crocodylus porosus, at Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory: an assessment of relocation as a management strategy. Wildlife Research 20:127–135. , and .
- 2004. Survival and reproduction of repatriated Jamaican iguanas. Pages 220–231 in A. C.Alberts, R. L.Carter, W. K.Hayes, and E. P.Martins, editors. Iguanas: Biology and Conservation. University of California Press, Berkeley , California . , et al.
- 1996. Avian and mammalian translocations: update and reanalysis of 1987 survey data. Conservation Biology 10:1142–1154. , , , and .
- 1998. Predictors of avian and mammalian translocation success: reanalysis with phylogenetically independent contrasts. Biological Conservation 86:243–255. , , and .