Current address: P.O. Box 1541, Seeley Lake, MT 59868, U.S.A.
Invasion versus Isolation: Trade-Offs in Managing Native Salmonids with Barriers to Upstream Movement
Article first published online: 6 FEB 2009
©2009 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 4, pages 859–870, August 2009
How to Cite
FAUSCH, K. D., RIEMAN, B. E., DUNHAM, J. B., YOUNG, M. K. and PETERSON, D. P. (2009), Invasion versus Isolation: Trade-Offs in Managing Native Salmonids with Barriers to Upstream Movement. Conservation Biology, 23: 859–870. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01159.x
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 6 FEB 2009
- Paper submitted February 24, 2008; revised manuscript accepted October 6, 2008.
- 1999. Mechanisms limiting a vertebrate invasion: brook trout in mountain streams of the northwestern USA. Ph.D. dissertation. University of Montana, Missoula , Montana .
- 2001. Geography of invasion in mountain streams: consequences of headwater lake fish introductions. Ecosystems 4:296–307. , , and .
- 1997. Prioritizing Pacific salmon stocks for conservation. Conservation Biology 11:140–152. , et al.
- 2001. The problems with hybrids: setting conservation guidelines. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:613–622. , , , and .
- 1993. Protocol to rank value of biotic resources in Virginian streams. Rivers 4:20–29. , , and .
- 2006. Hydrologic regime and the conservation of salmon life history diversity. Biological Conservation 130:560–572. , , , , and .
- 1992. Native trout of western North America. Monograph 6. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda , Maryland .
- 2002. Trout and salmon of North America. Simon and Schuster, New York .
- 1998. Do habitat corridors provide connectivity? Conservation Biology 12:1241–1252. , and .
- 2007. Invasion by nonnative brook trout in Panther Creek, Idaho: roles of local habitat quality, biotic resistance, and connectivity to source habitats. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136:875–888. , , and .
- 1999. Linkages in the landscape: the role of corridors and connectivity in wildlife conservation. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland .
- 1997. Response of rodents to habitat fragmentation in coastal southern California. Ecological Applications 7:552–563. , , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Conservation ethics at the crossroads. American Fisheries Society Symposium 17:3–7.
- 2006. Conservation values and ethics. Pages 111–135 in M. J.Groom, G. K.Meffe, and C. R.Carroll, editors. Principles of conservation biology. 3rd edition. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , Massachusetts .
- 2003. The global impact of alien trout species—a review with reference to their impact in South Africa. African Journal of Aquatic Science 28:61–67.
- 1994. Directions in conservation biology. Journal of Animal Ecology 63:215–244.
- 2006. Connectivity conservation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- 1999. Mesopredator release and avifaunal extinctions in a fragmented system. Nature 400:563–566. , and .
- 2001. Extinction and colonization of birds on habitat islands. Conservation Biology 15:159–172. , , , and .
- 2003. Global state of biodiversity and loss. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 28:137–167. , and .
- 1999. Corridors: reconnecting fragmented landscapes. Pages 129–170 in M. E.Soulé, and J.Terborgh, editors. Continental conservation: scientific foundations of regional reserve networks. Island Press, Washington , D.C . , et al.
- 2002. Alien invasions in aquatic ecosystems: toward an understanding of brook trout invasions and their potential impacts on inland cutthroat trout. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 12:373–339. , , , and .
- 2004. Assessing the consequences of nonnative trout in headwater ecosystems in western North America. Fisheries (Bethesda) 29:18–26. , , and .
- 2002. Connectivity, fragmentation, and extinction risk in dendritic metapopulations. Ecology 83:3243–3249.
- 2007. Introduction, establishment and effects of non-native salmonids: considering the risk of rainbow trout invasion in the United Kingdom. Journal of Fish Biology 71:1–32.
- 2008. A paradox of trout invasions in North America. Biological Invasions 10:685–701.
- 2006. Strategies for conserving native salmonid populations at risk from nonnative fish invasions: tradeoffs in using barriers to upstream movement. General technical report RMS-GTR-174. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Fort Collins , Colorado . , , , and .
- 2001. Flood disturbance regimes influence rainbow trout invasion success among five Holarctic regions. Ecological Applications 11:1438–1455. , , , , and .
- 2002. Landscapes to riverscapes: bridging the gap between research and conservation of stream fishes. BioScience 52:483–498. , , , and .
- 1997. "Risk" in fisheries management: a review. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54:1699–1715. , and .
- 2008. Incorporating catastrophic risk assessments into setting conservation goals for threatened Pacific salmon. Ecological Applications 18:246–257. , , , and .
- 2000. Ecological resilience—in theory and application. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31:425–439.
- 2003. Drafting a conservation blueprint: a practitioner's guide to planning for biodiversity. Island Press, Washington , D.C.
- 2002. Minimum habitat requirements for establishing translocated cutthroat trout populations. Ecological Applications 12:535–551. , and .
- 2004. To sea or not to sea? Anadromy versus non-anadromy in salmonids. Pages 92–125 in A. P.Hendry, and S. C.Stearns, editors. Evolution illuminated: salmon and their relatives. Oxford University Press, New York . , , , and .
- 1994. Conservation corridors and contagious disease: a cautionary note. Conservation Biology 8:256–262.
- 2006. Range-wide status of Colorado River cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii pleuriticus): 2005. Colorado Division of Wildlife, Denver , Colorado . , , and .
- 2003. Spread of hybridization between native westslope cutthroat trout, Onchorhynchus clarki lewisi, and non-native rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:1440–1451. , , , and .
- 2004. A large-scale risk assessment of the biotic integrity of native brook trout watersheds. Pages 93–101 in S. E.Moore, R. F.Carline, and J.Dillon, editors. Wild trout VIII symposium. Trout Unlimited, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and U.S. Geological Survey, Washington , D.C. , , and .
- 2004. Ecological impacts of rainbow, brown and brook trout in Japanese inland waters. Global Environmental Research 8:41–50.
- 2005. Non-native lake trout result in Yellowstone cutthroat trout decline and impacts to bears and anglers. Fisheries (Bethesda) 30:10–19. , , , , and .
- 2001. Progress in invasion biology: predicting invaders. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:199–204. , and .
- 1985. Encroachment of exotic rainbow trout into stream populations of native brook trout in the southern Appalachian Mountains. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 114:195–203. , and .
- 2007. Population response to habitat fragmentation in a stream-dwelling brook trout population. Public Library of Science DOI: DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0001139. , , , , and .
- 1993. Introduced red fox in California. Nongame bird and mammal section report 93–10. California Department of Fish and Game, Sacramento , California . , , and .
- 2006. Crying wolf, crying foul, or crying shame: alien salmonids and a biodiversity crisis in the southern cool-temperate galaxioid fishes? Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 16:233–422.
- 2000. Viable salmonid populations and the recovery of evolutionarily significant units. Technical memorandum NMFS-NWFSC-42. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Seattle , Washington . , , , , and .
- 2009. Length variation in age-0 westslope cutthroat trout at multiple spatial scales. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 28:1529–1540. , , and .
- 2006a. Evaluation of an unsuccessful brook trout electrofishing removal project in a small Rocky mountain stream. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 26:849–860. , , and .
- 2006b. Status of Yellowstone cutthroat trout in Idaho. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 135:1329–1347. , , , , and .
- 2004. The impact of exotic trout on native charr in a Japanese stream. Journal of Applied Ecology 41:962–972. , , and .
- 2002. Effects of habitat fragmentation by damming on the persistence of stream-dwelling charr populations. Conservation Biology 16:1318–1323. , and .
- 2000. Extreme life history change of white-spotted charr (Salvelinus leucomaenis) after damming. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:1300–1306. , , and .
- 2002. Population viability of stream-resident salmonids after habitat fragmentation: a case study with white-spotted charr (Salvelinus leucomaenis) by an individual-based model. Ecological Modelling 155:85–94. , and .
- 1996. Biological invasions of freshwater: empirical rules and assembly theory. Biological Conservation 78:149–161. , and .
- 2006. Landscape attributes and life history variability shape genetic structure of trout populations in a stream network. Landscape Ecology 21:901–916. , , and .
- 1990. Indicators for monitoring biodiversity: a hierarchical approach. Conservation Biology 4:355–364.
- 2006. Integrating restoration ecology and conservation biology: a case study from ponderosa pine forests of the southwestern USA. Restoration Ecology 14:4–10. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Isolation management with artificial barriers as a conservation strategy for cutthroat trout in headwater streams. Conservation Biology 17:772–781. , and .
- 2001. First documented case of anadromy in a population of introduced rainbow trout in Patagonia, Argentina. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 130:53–67. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Interactions between brown and rainbow trout in the Alpine Rhine valley and its effects on their management. Schweiz Fischereiwissenschaft 98:5–10. , , , and .
- 2003. Dispersal of brook trout promotes invasion success and replacement of native cutthroat trout. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:1502–1516. , and .
- 2004. Population ecology of an invasion: effects of brook trout on native cutthroat trout. Ecological Applications 14:754–772. , , and .
- 2009. When eradication is not an option: modeling strategies for electrofishing suppression of non-native brook trout to foster persistence of sympatric native cutthroat trout in small streams. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 29:1847–1867. , , , and .
- 2008. Analysis of trade-offs between the threat of invasion by non-native brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) and intentional isolation for native westslope cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii lewisi). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65:557–573. , , , , and .
- 1997. From Johnny Appleseed to Dr. Frankenstein: changing values and the legacy of fisheries management. Fisheries (Bethesda) 22:8–9.
- 2004. Unauthorized fish introductions: fisheries management of the people, for the people, or by the people? American Fisheries Society Symposium 44:431–443.
- 2001. Effective population size and genetic conservation criteria for bull trout. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 21:330–338. , and .
- 1997. Wildfire and native fish: issues of forest health and conservation of sensitive species. Fisheries (Bethesda) 22:6–15. , and .
- 2000. Metapopulations and salmonids: a synthesis of life history patterns and empirical observations. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 9:515–564. , and .
- 1993. Demographic and habitat requirements for conservation of bull trout. General technical report INT-302. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Boise , Idaho . , and .
- 2006. Have brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) displaced bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) along longitudinal gradients in central Idaho streams? Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 63:63–78. , , and .
- 2003. Recovering species of conservation concern: are populations expendable? Pages 305–329 in P.Kareiva, and S. A.Levin, editors. The importance of species: perspectives on expendability and triage. Princeton University Press, Princeton , New Jersey . , , and .
- 1995. Spatial variation in demographic processes in lotic fishes: conceptual models, empirical evidence, and implications for conservation. American Fisheries Society Symposium 17:360–370. , and .
- 2004. Factors that may be influencing non-native brook trout invasion and their displacement of native westslope cutthroat trout in three adjacent southwestern Montana streams. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 24:1088–1100.
- 2005. Status and conservation of westslope cutthroat trout within the western United States. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 25:1426–1440. , , and .
- 1992. Movement corridors: conservation bargains or poor investments? Conservation Biology 6:493–504. , , , and .
- 2005. Watershed-level sampling effort requirements for determining riverine fish species composition. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:1580–1588. , and .
- 2005. How much is enough? The recurrent problem of setting measurable objectives in conservation. BioScience 55:835–849. , et al.
- 2000. Review of ecological effects of roads on terrestrial and aquatic communities. Conservation Biology 14:18–30. , and .
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. 2006. National inventory of dams. Available from http://crunch.tec.army.mil/nid/webpages/nid.cfm (accessed April 2006).
- 1997. Human domination of Earth's ecosystems. Science 277:494–499. , , , and .
- 1995. Evolutionarily significant units and the conservation of biological diversity under the Endangered Species Act. American Fisheries Society Symposium 17:8–27.
- 2003. Introgressive hybridization between native cutthroat trout and introduced rainbow trout. Ecological Applications 13:38–50. , , and .
- 2008. The how-much-is-enough myth. Conservation Biology 22:514–517.
- 1995. Anadromous fish as keystone species in vertebrate communities. Conservation Biology 9:489–497. , and .
- Young, M. K., editor. 1995. Conservation assessment for inland cutthroat trout. General technical report RM-GTR-256, U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Fort Collins , Colorado .
- 2005. Predicting cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarki) abundance in high-elevation streams: revisiting a model of translocation success. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:2399–2408. , , and .
- 1996. Conservation status of Colorado River cutthroat trout. General Technical Report GTR-RM-282. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Fort Collins , Colorado . , , , and .
- 2000. Restoration ecology and conservation biology. Biological Conservation 92:73–83.