One Hundred Questions of Importance to the Conservation of Global Biological Diversity
Article first published online: 22 APR 2009
©2009 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 3, pages 557–567, June 2009
How to Cite
SUTHERLAND, W. J., ADAMS, W. M., ARONSON, R. B., AVELING, R., BLACKBURN, T. M., BROAD, S., CEBALLOS, G., CÔTÉ, I. M., COWLING, R. M., DA FONSECA, G. A. B., DINERSTEIN, E., FERRARO, P. J., FLEISHMAN, E., GASCON, C., HUNTER Jr., M., HUTTON, J., KAREIVA, P., KURIA, A., MACDONALD, D. W., MACKINNON, K., MADGWICK, F. J., MASCIA, M. B., MCNEELY, J., MILNER-GULLAND, E. J., MOON, S., MORLEY, C. G., NELSON, S., OSBORN, D., PAI, M., PARSONS, E. C. M., PECK, L. S., POSSINGHAM, H., PRIOR, S. V., PULLIN, A. S., RANDS, M. R. W., RANGANATHAN, J., REDFORD, K. H., RODRIGUEZ, J. P., SEYMOUR, F., SOBEL, J., SODHI, N. S., STOTT, A., VANCE-BORLAND, K. and WATKINSON, A. R. (2009), One Hundred Questions of Importance to the Conservation of Global Biological Diversity. Conservation Biology, 23: 557–567. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2009.01212.x
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 22 APR 2009
- Paper submitted October 19, 2008; revised manuscript accepted January 12, 2009
- 2008. Reframing the climate change challenge in light of post-2000 emission trends. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Series A, 366:3863–3882. , and .
- 2002. Avoiding conflicts over Africa's water resources. Ambio 31: 236–242.
- 2003. The nature and extent of legal and illegal trade in wildlife. Pages 3–22 in S.Oldfield, editor. The trade in wildlife: regulation for conservation. Earthscan, London . , , and .
- 2008. The world's protected areas: status, values, and prospects in the twenty-first century. University of California Press, Berkeley . , , and .
- 2008. An operational model for mainstreaming ecosystem services for implementation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105:9483–9488. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Money for nothing? A call for empirical evaluation of biodiversity conservation investments. Public Library of Science Biology 4:482–488. , and .
- 2007. Monitoring and estimating tropical forest carbon stocks: making REDD a reality. Environmental Research Letters 2:045023. , , , and .
- 2005. A mesofilter complement to coarse and fine filters. Conservation Biology 19:1025–1029. .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2007. Summary for policymakers. Pages 1–18 in S. D.Slomon, D.Qin, M.Manning, Z.Chen, M.Marquis, K. B.Averyt, M.Tignor, and H. L.Miller, editors. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 2008. ‘Knowing’ but not ‘doing’: selecting priority conservation areas and the research-implementation gap. Conservation Biology 22:610–617. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Is oil palm agriculture really destroying tropical biodiversity? Conservation Letters 1:60–64. , and .
- 2003. Science and management in a conservation crises: a case study with rhinoceros. Conservation Biology 17:968–975.
- Lucas, M. de, G. F. E.Janss, and M.Ferrer, editors. 2007. Birds and wind farms. Quercus, London .
- 2007. A framework for debate of assisted migration in an era of climate change. Conservation Biology 21:297–302. , , and .
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (MEA). 2005. Ecosystems and human well-being: synthesis. Island Press, Washington , D.C.
- 2005. Marine conservation biology: the science of maintaining the sea's biodiversity. Island Press, Washington , D.C. and .
- 2005. Global trends in world fisheries: impacts on marine ecosystems and food security. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 360:5–12. , , and .
- 2006. Conservation biology and real-world conservation. Conservation Biology 20:658–669.
- 2002. Improving the practice of conservation: a conceptual framework and research agenda for conservation science. Conservation Biology 16:1469–1479. , , , and .
- 2004. The science of sustainable development: local livelihoods and the global environment. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- Sodhi, N. S., G.Acciaioli, M.Erb, and A. K.-J.Tan, editors. 2008. Biodiversity and human livelihoods in protected areas: case studies from the Malay Archipelago. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 2008. Towards representative protection of the world's coasts and oceans—progress, gaps and opportunities. Conservation Letters 1:217–226. , , and .
- 2002. The influence of the academic conservation biology literature on endangered species recovery planning. Conservation Ecology 6:15. , , , , and .
- 2004. The need for evidence-based conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19:305–308. , , , and .
- 2006. The identification of one hundred ecological questions of high policy relevance in the UK. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:617–627. , et al.
- 2008. Future novel threats and opportunities facing UK biodiversity identified by horizon scanning. Journal of Applied Ecology 45:821–833. , et al.
- 2009. The need for environmental horizon scanning. Trends in Ecology and Evolution: in press. , and
- UNDP (United Nations Development Programme). 2007. Human development report 2007/2008. Fighting climate change: human solidarity in a divided world. Palgrave Macmillan, New York .
- 2006. Linking knowledge and action for sustainable development. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 31:445–477. , and .
- WCS (Wildlife Conservation Society) Futures Group. 2007. Futures of the wild. WCS, New York .
- WRI (World Resources Institute). 2005. World resources 2005: the wealth of the poor—managing ecosystems to fight poverty. World Resources Institute (in collaboration with UN Development Programme, UN Environment Programme, and The World Bank), Washington, D.C.