Conservation Threats Due to Human-Caused Increases in Fire Frequency in Mediterranean-Climate Ecosystems
Version of Record online: 19 APR 2009
©2009 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 3, pages 758–769, June 2009
How to Cite
SYPHARD, A. D., RADELOFF, V. C., HAWBAKER, T. J. and STEWART, S. I. (2009), Conservation Threats Due to Human-Caused Increases in Fire Frequency in Mediterranean-Climate Ecosystems. Conservation Biology, 23: 758–769. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2009.01223.x
- Issue online: 15 MAY 2009
- Version of Record online: 19 APR 2009
- Paper submitted February 5, 2008; revised manuscript accepted January 16, 2009.
- 2002. Ecological restoration of southwest Ponderosa pine ecosystems: a broad perspective. Ecological Applications 12:1418–1433. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Spatial distribution of ignitions in Mediterranean periurban and rural areas: the case of Catalonia. International Journal of Wildland Fire 15:187–196. , and .
- 2007. Human disturbance and environmental factors as drivers of long-term post-fire regeneration patterns in Mediterranean forests. Journal of Vegetation Science 2:243–252. , , , and .
- 1989. Explanatory supplement to ecoregions map of the continents. Environmental Conservation 16:307–309.
- 1991. Fire effects on California chaparral systems: an overview. Environment International 17:135–149. , and .
- 1996. Fire and plants. Chapman & Hall, London . , and .
- Forest service large fire area burned and suppression expenditure trends, 1970–2002. Journal of Forestry 103:179–183. , , , and .
- 1998. The encyclopedia of ecology & environmental management. Blackwell Science, Oxford , United Kingdom .
- 2004. Comparing landscape scale vegetation dynamics following recent disturbance in climatically similar sites in California and the Mediterranean basin. Landscape Ecology 19:573–590. , and .
- 1985. Shrubland fire regimes and their evolutionary consequences. Pages 85–100 in S. T.Pickett and P. S.White, editors. Ecology of natural disturbance and patch dynamics. Academic Press, Orlando , Florida .
- 1978. Convergence versus non-convergence in Mediterranean-climate ecosystems. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 9:265–321. , and .
- 1996. Plant diversity in Mediterranean-climate regions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 11:362–366. , , , , and .
- 2006. Validation of active fire detection from moderate resolution satellite sensors: the MODIS example in Northern Eurasia. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 44:1757–1764. , , and .
- 2004. Beyond smoke and mirrors: a synthesis of fire policy and science. Conservation Biology 18:976–986. , , , and .
- 2000. LandScan: a global population database for estimating populations at risk. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 66:849–857. , , , , and .
- 1981. A method for satellite identification of surface-temperature fields of subpixel resolution. Remote Sensing of Environment 11:221–229.
- 2008. Recurrent wildfires constrain long-term reproductive ability in Pinus halepensis Mill. International Journal of Wildland Fire 17:579–585. , , , and .
- 2008. The recent fire history of the Table Mountain National Park and implications for fire management. Koedoe 50:3–9. , and .
- 2002. Global land cover mapping from MODIS: algorithms and early results. Remote Sensing of the Environment 83:287–302. , et al.
- 2006. Global estimation of burned area using MODIS active fire observations. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 6:957–974. , , , , and .
- 2003. An enhanced contextual fire detection algorithm for MODIS. Remote Sensing of Environment 87:273–282. , , , and .
- 1993. Role of high fire frequency in destruction of mixed chaparral. Madroño 40:141–147. and .
- 2008. Detection rates of the MODIS active fire product. Remote Sensing of Environment 112:2656–2664. , , , , and .
- 2002. The MODIS fire products. Remote Sensing of Environment 83:244–262. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Establishment success across convergent Mediterranean ecosystems: an analysis of bird introductions. Conservation Biology 19:1519–1527. , and .
- 2002. Native American impacts on fire regimes of the California coastal ranges. Journal of Biogeography 29:303–320.
- 2005. Fire history of the San Francisco East Bay region and implications for landscape patterns. International Journal of Wildland Fire 14:285–296.
- 1999. Reexamining fire suppression impacts on brushland fire regimes. Science 284:1829–1832. , , and .
- 2005. Alien plant dynamics following fire in Mediterranean-climate California shrublands. Ecological Applications 15:2109–2125. , , and .
- 1998. Mediterranean terrestrial ecosystems: research priorities on global change effects. Global Ecology and Biogeography 7:157–166. , , , and .
- 2008. A multi-scale approach for modeling fire occurrence probability using satellite data and classification trees: a case study in a mountainous Mediterranean region. Remote Sensing of Environment 112:708–719. , , , and .
- 1998. Impacts of biological invasions on disturbance regimes. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13:195–198. , and .
- 1999. Biodiversity hotspots in the Mediterranean basin: setting global conservation priorities. Conservation Biology 13:1510–1513. , and .
- 1998. Biodiversity hotspots and major tropical wilderness areas: approaches to setting conservation priorities. Conservation Biology 12:516–520. , , , , and .
- 2004. Fire regimes and vegetation responses in two Mediterranean-climate regions. Revista Chilena de Historia Natural 77:455–464. , , , , and .
- 1997. Estimation of global leaf area index and absorbed PAR using radiative transfer model. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 35:1380–1393. , , and .
- 1975. The evolutionary influence of fire in the Mediterranean region. Vegetatio 29:199–208.
- 2005. Land cover type in Portugal: do fires burn land cover selectively? Landscape Ecology 20:661–673. , , , , , and .
- 1990. What future for the sandy heaths of Wilson's Promontory. Victorian Naturalist 107:120–123.
- 2002. The Global 200: priority ecoregions for global conservation. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 89:125–126. , and .
- 1998. Restoring natural fire to wilderness. How are we doing? Pages 366–372 in T.Pruden and L. A.Brennan, editors. Fire in ecosystem management: shifting the paradigm from suppression to prescription. Tall Timbers, Tallahassee , Florida . , and .
- 1999. The response of plant functional types to changes in the fire regime in Mediterranean ecosystems. A simulation approach. Journal of Vegetation Science 10:717–722.
- 1999. The role of fire in European Mediterranean ecosystems. Pages 3–16 in E.Chuvieco, editor. Remote sensing of large wildfires in the European Mediterranean basin. Springer-Verlag, New York . , and .
- 2002. Comparison of ecosystems in the Mediterranean Basin and Western Australia. Plant Ecology 163:177–186. , , and .
- 2005. The wildland urban interface in the United States. Ecological Applications 15:799–805. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Landscape disturbance in Mediterranean-type ecosystems: an overview. Pages 3–22 in P. W.Rundel, G.Montenegro, and F. M.Jaksic, editors. Landscape disturbance and biodiversity in Mediterranean-type ecosystems. Springer-Verlag, Berlin .
- 1998. Terrestrial ecosystems in changing environments. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 2006. Fire as an ecological process. Pages 58–74 in N. G.Sugihara, J. W.Van Wagtendonk, K. E.Shaffer, J.Fites-Kaufman, and A. E.Thode, editors. Fire in California's ecosystems. University of California Press, Berkeley , California . , , and .
- 2006. Simulating frequent fire and urban growth in southern California coastal shrublands. Landscape Ecology 22:431–445. , , and .
- 2007. Human influence on California fire regimes. Ecological Application 17:1388–1402. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Predicting spatial patterns of fire on a southern California landscape. International Journal of Wildland Fire 17:602–613. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Recent fire regime in peninsular Spain in relation to forest potential productivity and population density. International Journal of Wildland Fire 15:397–405. , , , and .
- 2006. Interactions between land use/land cover change, forest fires and landscape structure in Sierra de Gredos (Central Spain). Environmental Conservation 33:212–222. , , and .
- 2006. Mediterranean ecosystems: problems and tools for conservation. Progress in Physical Geography 30:175–200. , , and .
- 1987. Regeneration of heath and heath woodland in the north eastern Otway Ranges following the wildfire of February 1983. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria 99:51–88. , , , and .
- 1995. The ecology of fire. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 2007. Spatial patterns of modern period human-caused fire occurrence in the Missouri Ozark Highlands. Forest Science 53:1–15. , , , and .