A Review of Climate-Change Adaptation Strategies for Wildlife Management and Biodiversity Conservation
Version of Record online: 22 JUN 2009
©2009 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 1080–1089, October 2009
How to Cite
MAWDSLEY, J. R., O’MALLEY, R. and OJIMA, D. S. (2009), A Review of Climate-Change Adaptation Strategies for Wildlife Management and Biodiversity Conservation. Conservation Biology, 23: 1080–1089. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2009.01264.x
- Issue online: 14 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 22 JUN 2009
- Paper submitted April 24, 2008; revised manuscript accepted March 4, 2009.
- 2003. Adaptation to climate change in the developing world. Progress in Development Studies 3:179–195. , , , , and .
- 2005. Climate change and freshwater ecosystems. Pages 274–290 in T. E.Lovejoy and L.Hannah, editors. Climate change and biodiversity. Yale University Press, New Haven , Connecticut . , , and .
- 2007. Projected impacts of climate change on salmon habitat restoration. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of United States of America 104:6720–6725. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Game ranch management, 4th edition. Van Schaik Publishers, Pretoria , South Africa .
- 2001. Effectiveness of parks in protecting tropical biodiversity. Science 291:125–128. , , , and .
- Canadian Wildlife Service and U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2005. Draft international recovery plan for the whooping crane. U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Albuquerque, New Mexico .
- 2005. Carnivore restoration in the northeastern U. S. and southeastern Canada: a regional-scale analysis of habitat and population viability for wolf, lynx, and marten. Report 2: lynx and marten viability analysis. The Wildlands Project, Richmond , Virginia .
- 2005. Potential impacts of climate change on the distributions of several common and rare freshwater fishes in Canada. Diversity and Distributions 11:299–310. , , and .
- 2005. Managing the matrix. Pages 346–358 in T. E.Lovejoy and L.Hannah, editors. Climate change and biodiversity. Yale University Press, New Haven , Connecticut. , , and .
- 2006. Habitat connectivity and matrix restoration: the wider implications of agri-environment schemes. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:209–218. , and .
- 1999. Development of regional climate scenarios using a downscaling approach. Climatic Change 61:615–634.
- 2007. Ecosystems, their properties, goods, and services. Pages 211–272 in M. L.Parry, O. F.Canziani, J. P.Palutikof, P. J.Van Der Linden, and C. E.Hanson, editors. Climate change 2007: impacts, adaptation and vulnerability, contribution of working group II to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Conserving and increasing biodiversity in the large-scale, intensive farming systems of the Western Cape, South Africa. South African Journal of Science 102:375–378.
- 2002. Climate change and biodiversity. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Geneva . , , and .
- 1989. Translocation as a species conservation tool: status and strategy. Science 245:477–480. , , , and .
- 2004. An attempt to recover the Po’ouli by translocation and an appraisal of recovery strategy for bird species of extreme rarity. Biological Conservation 118:365–375 , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Ex situ plant conservation: supporting species survival in the wild. Island Press, Washington , D.C. , , and .
- 2000. Designing species translocation strategies when population growth and future funding are uncertain. Conservation Biology 14:1298–1307. , , and .
- 2002a. Conservation of biodiversity in a changing climate. Conservation Biology 16:264–268. , , , , , , , and .
- 2002b. Climate change-integrated conservation strategies. Global Ecology and Biogeography 11:485–495. , , and .
- 2003. Climate change and biodiversity: synergistic impacts. Advances in Applied Biodiversity Science 4:1–123. , and .
- 2005. Designing landscapes and seascapes for change. Pages 329–341 in T. E.Lovejoy and L.Hannah, editors. Climate change and biodiversity. Yale University Press, New Haven , Connecticut. , and .
- 2005. The view from the Cape: extinction risk, protected areas, and climate change. BioScience 55:231–242. , , , and .
- 2003. Buying time: a user's manual for building resistance and resilience to climate change in natural systems. World Wide Fund for Nature Climate Change Program, Berlin . , , and .
- 2006. Ecological restoration and global climate change. Restoration Ecology 14:170–176. , , , and .
- 2008. Assisted colonization and rapid climate change. Science 321:345–346. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Global warming, human population pressure, and viability of the world's smallest butterfly. Conservation Biology 19:1113–1124. , and .
- 2003. Climate change, human impacts, and the resilience of coral reefs. Science 301:929–933. , et al.
- 2004. Global climate change and wildlife in North America. Technical review 04–2. The Wildlife Society, Bethesda , Maryland . , , , , , , , and .
- Intersecretarial Commission on Climate Change. 2007. National strategy on climate change: México (executive summary). Intersecretarial Commission on Climate Change, Tlalpan, México . Available from http://www.un.org/ga/president/61/follow-up (accessed March 2008).
- IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature) and Conservation Measures Partnership. 2006a. Unified classification of direct threats. Conservation Measures Partnership, Bethesda , Maryland . Available from http://www.conservationmeasures.org/CMP/IUCN/Site_Page.cfm?PageID=32 (accessed March 2008).
- IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature) and Conservation Measures Partnership. 2006b. Unified classification of conservation actions. Conservation Measures Partnership, Bethesda , Maryland . Available from http://www.fosonline.org/CMP/IUCN/browse.cfm?TaxID=ConservationActions (accessed March 2008).
- IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature). 2008. IUCN Red List 2008. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland . Available from http://www.iucnredlist.org/ (accessed February 2009).
- 2007. Preliminary review of adaptation options for climate-sensitive ecosystems and resources, synthesis and assessment product 4.4. U.S. Climate Change Science Program, Washington , D.C . Available from http://www.climatescience.gov/Library/sap/sap4--4/default.php (accessed February 2008). , and .
- 2006. Facilitating the evolution of resistance to avian malaria in Hawaiian birds. Biological Conservation 128:475–485.
- 1989. Reintroduction of captive mammals for conservation. BioScience 39:152–161.
- 1997. Wild mammals in captivity: principles and techniques. University of Chicago Press, Chicago . , , , and .
- 2005. Nowhere to run and nowhere to hide: response of endemic Mt. Graham red squirrels to catastrophic forest damage. Biological Conservation 126:491–498. , , and .
- 1990. Wetland creation and restoration: the state of the science. Volume 1: regional reviews. Report 7600/3–89/038a. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Research Laboratory , Corvallis, Oregon . , and .
- 1809. Philosophie zoologique. Chez Dentu, Paris .
- 2005. Climate change, biodiversity conservation and protected area planning in Canada. The Canadian Geographer 49:384–397. , and .
- 2005. Conservation with a changing climate. Pages 325–328 in T. E.Lovejoy and L.Hannah, editors. Climate change and biodiversity. Yale University Press, New Haven , Connecticut.
- 2005. Climate change and biodiversity. Yale University Press, New Haven , Connecticut. , and .
- 1998. Measures of success: designing, managing, and monitoring conservation and development projects. Island Press, Washington , D.C . , and .
- 2003. One last effort to save the Po‘ouli. U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Honolulu, Hawaii . Available from http://www.fws.gov/pacificislands/wnews/poouli_fs102303.pdf (accessed March 2008). , , and .
- 1982. The growth of biological thought: diversity, evolution, and inheritance. Belknap Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts .
- 2007. A framework for debate of assisted migration in an era of climate change. Conservation Biology 21:297–302. , , and .
- 2003. Protected areas in 2023: scenarios for an uncertain Future. International Union for the Conservation of Nature, Gland , Switzerland . , and .
- 2007. England biodiversity strategy: towards adaptation to climate change. Department of Environment Food and World Affairs, London . Available from http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/resprog/findings/ebs-climate-change.pdf (accessed March 2008). , et al.
- 2006. Framework for adaptation to climate change in the City of Cape Town. City of Cape Town, Environment Resource Management, Cape Town , South Africa . Available from http://www.erc.uct.ac.za/publications/Framework%20for%20adaptation%20to%20CC%20in%20the%20city%20of%20Cape%20Town%20-%20FAC4T.pdf (accessed March 2008). , and .
- National Research Council. 1994. Restoring and protecting marine habitat: the role of engineering and technology. National Academy Press, Washington , D.C .
- 2004. Climate change meets habitat fragmentation: linking landscape and biogeographical scale level in research and conservation. Biological Conservation 117:285–297. , and .
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37:637–669.
- 2001. Hydrologic connectivity and the management of biological reserves: a global perspective. Ecological Applications 11:981–998.
- 2005. Climate change and migratory species. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London . Available from http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/resprog/findings/climatechange-migratory/climatechange-migratory.pdf (accessed March 2008). , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Fingerprints of global warming on wild animals and plants. Nature 421:57–60. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Wildlife responses to climate change: North American case studies. Island Press, Washington , D.C . , and .
- 1994. Recovery goals and methods for Karner blue butterfly populations. Pages 185–193 in D. A.Andow, R. J.Baker, and C. P.Lane, editors. Karner blue butterfly: a symbol of a vanishing landscape. Minnesota Agricultural Experiment Station, St. Paul .
- 2005. Climate change and protected area policy in Canada. Forestry Chronicle 81:696–703. , and .
- SERI (Society for Ecological Restoration International). 2006. The Society for Ecological Restoration International primer on ecological restoration. SERI, Tucson , Arizona . Available from http://www.ser.org (accessed March 2008).
- 2003. Vulnerability and adaptability of tidal forests in response to climate change in India. Indian Forester 129:749–756.
- 2002. Landscape permeability for large carnivores in Washington: a geographic information system weighted-distance and least-cost corridor assessment. Research paper PNW-RP-549. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station , Portland , Oregon . , , and .
- 2002. Ecological effects of climate fluctuations. Science 297:1292–1296. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Can climate data from METEOSAT improve wildlife distribution models? Ecography 27:629–636. , , and .
- 2004. Linking wild and captive populations to maximise species persistence: optimal translocation strategies. Conservation Biology 18:1304–1314. , , , and .
- 1992. Restoring the nation's marine environment. Publication UM-SG-TS-9206. Maryland Sea Grant College , College Park .
- The Heinz Center. 2002. The state of the nation's ecosystems: measuring the lands, waters, and living resources of the United States. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- The Heinz Center. 2006. Filling the gaps: priority data needs and key management challenges for national reporting on ecosystem condition. The Heinz Center, Washington , D.C .
- The Heinz Center. 2007. A survey of climate change adaptation planning. The Heinz Center, Washington , D.C .
- The Sheltair Group. 2003. Climate change impacts and adaptation strategies for urban systems in greater Vancouver. Volumes 1 and 2. The Sheltair Group, Vancouver , British Columbia . Available from http://www.sheltair.com/library_rem.html (accessed March 2008).
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427:145–148. , et al.
- 1995. The ecology and conservation of Maculinea arion and other European species of large blue butterfly. Pages 182–197 in A. S.Pullin, editor. Ecology and conservation of butterflies. Chapman and Hall, London .
- 1999. The large blue butterfly—a decade of progress. British Wildlife 11:22–27.
- 2004. Differences in responses of chinook salmon to climate shifts: implications for conservation. Environmental Biology of Fishes 70:155–167. , and .
- 2006. The dispersal characteristics of the invasive plant Mimulus guttatus and the ecological significance of increased occurrence of high-flow events. Journal of Ecology 94:1080–1091. , , , , and .
- U. N. Environment Program (UNEP) Convention on Migratory Species. 2006. Migratory species and climate change: impacts of a changing environment on wild animals. UNEP Convention on Migratory Species Secretariat, Bonn , Germany .
- 1986. Adaptive management of renewable resources. The Blackburn Press, Caldwell, New Jersey .
- 2002. Ecological responses to recent climate change. Nature 416:389–395. , , , , , , , , and .
- Wisconsin Natural Areas Program. 2008. State natural areas program information. Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Madison . Available from http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ORG/land/er/sna/info.htm (accessed March 2008).
- 2007. Guidelines for improving habitat restoration grant applications. Long Island Sound Study, Stamford , Connecticut. Available from http://www.longislandsoundstudy.net/habitatrestoration/habitat_guidelines.pdf (accessed March 2008). , and .
- 2006. Review of the southern ocean sanctuary: marine protected areas in the context of the International Whaling Commission sanctuary programme. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 8:1–12. , , and .