Major Conservation Policy Issues for Biodiversity in Oceania
Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2009
©2009 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 4, pages 834–840, August 2009
How to Cite
KINGSFORD, R. T., WATSON, J. E. M., LUNDQUIST, C. J., VENTER, O., HUGHES, L., JOHNSTON, E. L., ATHERTON, J., GAWEL, M., KEITH, D. A., MACKEY, B. G., MORLEY, C., POSSINGHAM, H. P., RAYNOR, B., RECHER, H. F. and WILSON, K. A. (2009), Major Conservation Policy Issues for Biodiversity in Oceania. Conservation Biology, 23: 834–840. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2009.01287.x
- Issue online: 13 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2009
- Paper submitted April 2, 2009; revised manuscript accepted April 3, 2009.
- ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics). 2006. Measures of Australia's progress. ABS, Canberra , Australia .
- ASOE (Australian State of the Environment). 2006. Australian state of environment report 2006. Department of Environment and Heritage, Canberra , Australia .
- 1989. Introduced animals and extinctions. Pages 54–75 in D.Western and M. C.Pearl, editors. Conservation in the twenty-first century. Oxford University Press, Oxford , United Kingdom .
- 2004. Avian extinction and mammalian introductions on Oceanic Islands. Science 305:1955–1958. , , , , and .
- 2003. The decline of native Pacific island faunas: changes in the status of the land snails of Samoa through the 20th century. Biological Conservation 110:55–65. , and .
- 1996. Overview of the impacts of feral cats on Australian native fauna. Australian Nature Conservation Agency, Canberra , Australia .
- 2004. Fish bycatch in New Zealand tuna longline fisheries, 1998–99 to 1999–2000. Fisheries assessment report 2004/22. New Zealand Ministry of Fisheries. Agency, Wellington, New Zealand. , , and .
- 1999. Plastics and South Pacific island shores: environmental implications. Ocean and Coastal Management 42:603–615.
- 2005. National priority pests. Part II, ranking of Australian marine pests. Australian Government Department of the Environment and Heritage, Parkes, Canberra , Australia . , , , , and .
- 2006. Overview of the conservation status of Australian frogs. Pacific Conservation Biology 12:313–320. , , , , and .
- 2000. Biological consequences of global warming: is the signal already apparent? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 15:56–61.
- 2003. Climate change, human impacts, and the resilience of coral reefs. Science 301:929–933. , et al.
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature). 2007. IUCN Red List of threatened species. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland .
- 2006. Australia's mammal extinctions. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 1995. Institutional and landowner perspectives on wetland management in New Zealand. Journal of Environmental Management 45:143–161. , , and .
- 2003. Alien predators and amphibian declines: a review of two decades of science and the transition to conservation. Diversity and Distributions 9:99–110. , and .
- 2004. Ocean shores to desert dunes: the native vegetation of New South Wales and the ACT. New South Wales Department of Environment and Conservation, Sydney, Australia.
- 2000. Ecological impacts of dams, water diversions and river management on floodplain wetlands in Australia. Austral Ecology 25:109–127.
- 2004. Classifying landform at broad spatial scales: the distribution and conservation of wetlands in New South Wales, Australia. Marine and Freshwater Research 55:17–31. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Priority management actions for alien freshwater fish species in Australia. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 38:457–472. , and .
- 2008. Biodiversity consequences of sea level rise in New Guinea. Pacific Conservation Biology 14:191–199. , , and .
- 2006. To lose both would look like carelessness: Tasmanian devil facial tumour disease. Public Library of Science Biology DOI: DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0040342. , and .
- 2006. Crying wolf, crying foul, or crying shame: alien salmonids and a biodiversity crisis in the southern cool-temperate galaxioid fishes? Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 16:233–422.
- 2004. Hotspots revisited: Earth's biologically richest and most endangered terrestrial ecoregions. Cemex-Agrupación Sierra Madre, Mexico City , Mexico . , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. The big ecological questions inhibiting effective environmental management in Australia. Austral Ecology 34:1–9. , et al.
- 1998. Saltwater intrusions into the coastal plains of the Lower Mary River, Northern Territory, Australia. Journal of Environmental Management 54:169–188. , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403:853–858. , , , , and .
- 2006. Observed change in Australia over the past century. Energy & Environment 17:1–12. , and .
- 1978. Stream channel modification in Hawaii, part D: summary report. FWS/OBS-78/19. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Stream Alteration Team, Columbia, Missouri. , , , ., and .
- 2000. Using abiotic data for conservation assessments over extensive regions: quantitative methods applied across New South Wales, Australia. Biological Conservation 96:55–82. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Global and regional drivers of accelerating CO2 emissions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:10289–10293. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Conservation challenge of dispersive fauna. Pacific Conservation Biology 13:81–83.
- 2006. Assessing the carbon sequestration potential of managed forests: a case study from temperate Australia. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:1149–1159. , , , , and .
- 2007. Phytophthora cinnamomi invasion, a major threatening process to conservation of flora diversity in the South-west Botanical Province of Western Australia. Australian Journal of Botany 55:225–238. , , , and .
- 1995. Prehistoric extinctions of Pacific island birds: biodiversity meets zooarchaeology. Science 267:1123–1131.
- 2006. Extinction and biogeography of tropical Pacific birds. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago , Illinois .
- UNDESA (United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs). 2007. World population prospects. The 2006 revision. Highlights. Working paper ESA/P/WP.202. UNDESA, New York.
- 2003. From ocean to aquarium. United Nations Environment Programme-World Conservation Monitoring Centre, Cambridge, United Kingdom. , , , and .
- 2008. Why are we still using a ‘one size fits all’ philosophy for systematic reserve planning in Australia? Pacific Conservation Biology 14:233–234. , , and .
- 2003. Predator diversity hotspots in the blue ocean. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100:9884–9888. , , and .
- 1994. The status of coral-reefs in South-Western Pacific Islands. Marine Pollution Bulletin 29:52–61.