Motivations for Conserving Urban Biodiversity
Article first published online: 22 SEP 2009
©2009 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 24, Issue 2, pages 432–440, April 2010
How to Cite
DEARBORN, D. C. and KARK, S. (2010), Motivations for Conserving Urban Biodiversity. Conservation Biology, 24: 432–440. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2009.01328.x
- Issue published online: 22 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 22 SEP 2009
- Paper submitted December 16, 2008; revised manuscript accepted June 3, 2009.
- 2002. Shade trees reduce building energy use and CO2 emissions from power plants. Environmental Pollution 116:S119–S126.
- 1994. Does biodiversity include artificial diversity. Conservation Biology 8:600–602.
- 2006. Evening thoughts: reflections on the Earth as a spiritual community. Sierra Club Books, San Francisco .
- 1996. Land use and avian species diversity along an urban gradient. Ecological Applications 6:506–519.
- 2006. Space for urban wildlife: designing green roofs as habitats in Switzerland. Urban Habitats 4:27–36.
- 2003. Catastrophic extinctions follow deforestation in Singapore. Nature 424:420–423. , , and .
- 2005. Forest remnants along urban-rural gradients: Examining their potential for global change research. Ecosystems 8:568–582. , and .
- 1999. Life paths into effective environmental action. Journal of Environmental Education 31:15–26.
- Chicago Wilderness. 2007. Chicago Wilderness progress report. Chicago Wilderness, Chicago . Available from http://www.chiwild.org/pubprod/index.cfm (accessed June 2009).
- 2006. Economic value of the pest control service provided by Brazilian free-tailed bats in south-central Texas. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 5:238–243. , et al.
- 2006. Conservation biology of the rare species Conospermum undulatum and Macarthuria keigheryi in an urban bushland remnant. Australian Journal of Botany 54:583–593. , , , , , and .
- 1992. The ecological transformation of Singapore, 1819–1990. Journal of Biogeography 19:411–420.
- 2009. A trail across time: American environmental planning from city beautiful to sustainability. Journal of the American Planning Association 75:178–192.
- 1996. Defining biodiversity. Wildlife Society Bulletin 24:738–749.
- 2005. Stormwater mitigation and surface temperature reduction by green roofs. Transactions of the ASAE 48:1491–1496. , , , , and .
- 2007. Demography of an urban population of the Texas horned lizard (Phrynosoma cohnutum) in central Oklahoma. Herpetologica 63:320–331. , , , and .
- 2008. Analyzing the cost effectiveness of Santiago, Chile's policy of using urban forests to improve air quality. Journal of Environmental Management 86:148–157. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Rewilding North America: a vision for conservation in the 21st century. Island Press, Washington , D.C.
- 2007. The importance of functional connectivity in the conservation of a ground-dwelling mammal in an urban Australian landscape. Landscape Ecology 22:1513–1525. , , and .
- 2007. Psychological benefits of greenspace increase with biodiversity. Biology Letters 3:390–394. , , , , and .
- 1992. The role of corridors in conservation—solution or bandwagon. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 7:389–392.
- 2006. Novel ecosystems: theoretical and management aspects of the new ecological world order. Global Ecology and Biogeography 15:1–7. , et al.
- 2006. Biodiversity definitions vary within the discipline. Nature 444:146–146.
- 2003. Characterizing the importance of habitat patches and corridors in maintaining the landscape connectivity of a Pholidoptera transsylvanica (Orthoptera) metapopulation. Landscape Ecology 18:83–92. , , , , and .
- 2007. Living in the city: can anyone become an ‘urban exploiter’? Journal of Biogeography 34:638–651. , , , and .
- 2004. The flora of German cities is naturally species rich. Evolutionary Ecology Research 6:749–764. , , and .
- 2001. Coping with poverty—impacts of environment and attention in the inner city. Environment and Behavior 33:5–34.
- 1949. A sand county almanac, and sketches here and there. Oxford University Press, New York .
- 2005. Urban systems. Pages 795–825. Ecosystems and human well-being: current state and trends. Island Press, Washington , D.C. , et al.
- 2002. Urbanization, biodiversity, and conservation. BioScience 52:883–890.
- 2006. Urbanization as a major cause of biotic homogenization. Biological Conservation 127:247–260.
- 2008. Effects of urbanization on species richness: a review of plants and animals. Urban Ecosystems 11:161–176.
- 2004. Desert southwest community tree guide: benefits, costs and strategic planting. Arizona Community Tree Council, Phoenix , Arizona . , , , , , and .
- 2008. Using land inventories to plan for urban agriculture: experiences from Portland and Vancouver. Journal of the American Planning Association 74:435–449. , , , and .
- 2002. Conservation where people live and work. Conservation Biology 16:330–337. , and .
- 1901. Our national parks. Houghton Mifflin, Boston .
- 1990. Indicators for monitoring biodiversity: A hierarchical approach. Conservation Biology 4:355–364.
- 2006. Air pollution removal by urban trees and shrubs in the United States. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening 4:115–123. , , and .
- 2002. Political economy and the ecology of childhood. Pages 279–303 in P. H.Kahn and S. R.Kellert, editors. Children and nature: psychological, sociological, and evolutionary investigations. MIT Press, Cambridge , Massachusetts .
- 2007. The ecological value of constructed wetlands for treating urban runoff. Water Science and Technology 55:63–69. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Management of introduced mammals in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 30:335–359. , and .
- 2003. Are we conserving what we say we are? Measuring ecological integrity within protected areas. BioScience 53:851–860. , , and .
- 2008. Beyond urban legends: An emerging framework of urban ecology, as illustrated by the Baltimore Ecosystem Study. BioScience 58:139–150. , et al.
- 1996. The ecological crisis: a common responsibility. Pages 230–237 in R.Gottlieb, editor. This sacred Earth: religion, nature, and environment. Routledge, New York . .
- 2007. Effects of urban land-use change on biogeochemical cycles. Pages 45–58 in J. G.Canadell, D. E.Pataki, and L. F.Pitelka, editors. Terrestrial ecosystems in a changing world. Springer, Berlin . , , , , , and .
- 2003. Win-win ecology: how Earth's species can survive in the midst of human enterprise. Oxford University Press, New York .
- 2000. Fine particulate air pollution and mortality in 20 US Cities, 1987–1994. New England Journal of Medicine 343:1742–1749. , , , , and .
- 2006. From patterns to emerging processes in mechanistic urban ecology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:186–191. , , , , and .
- 1985. What is conservation biology? BioScience 35:727–734.
- 2004. The UNESCO Biosphere Reserve concept as a tool for urban sustainability: the CUBES Cape Town case study. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1023:80–104. , , , , , , and .
- 1984. View through a window may influence recovery from surgery. Science 224:420–421.
- United Nations. 2007. World urbanization prospects: the 2007 revision population database. United Nations, New York . Available from http://esa.un.org/unup/ (accessed November 2008).
- 2009. A conceptual framework for predicting the effects of urban environments on floras. Journal of Ecology 97:4–9. , et al.