Special Section: New Insights into the Tropical Biodiversity Crisis
Version of Record online: 24 NOV 2009
Journal compilation ©2009 Society for Conservation Biology. No claim to original US government works.
Volume 23, Issue 6, pages 1382–1385, December 2009
How to Cite
Laurance, W. F. and Wright, S. J. (2009), Introduction. Conservation Biology, 23: 1382–1385. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2009.01339.x
- Issue online: 24 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 24 NOV 2009
- 2002. Determination of deforestation rates of the world's humid tropical forests. Science 297:999–1002. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Extinction filters and current resilience: the significance of past selection pressures for conservation biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 11:193–196.
- 2007. Quantifying the biodiversity value of tropical primary, secondary, and plantation forests. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 104:18555–18560. , et al.
- 2009. Tropical turmoil: a biodiversity tragedy in progress. Frontiers in Ecology & Evolution 7:79–87. , , and .
- 2006. Momentum drives the crash: mass extinction in the tropics. Biotropica 38:302–305. , , , and .
- 2003. Catastrophic extinctions follow deforestation in Singapore. Nature 424:420–423. , , and .
- 1999. Time lag between deforestation and bird extinction in tropical forest fragments. Conservation Biology 13:1140–1150. , , and .
- 2008. New strategies for conserving tropical forests. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:469–472. , and .
- 2003. Global state of biodiversity and loss. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 28:137–167. , and .
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization). 2007. State of the world's forests 2007. FAO, Rome .
- 2008. Will urbanization cause deforested areas to be abandoned in the Brazilian Amazon? Environmental Conservation 35:1–3.
- 2008. Difficulties in tracking the long-term global trend in tropical forest area. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105:818–823.
- 2007. Expansion of industrial logging in central Africa. Science 316:1451. , , , , and .
- 1999. Reflections on the tropical deforestation crisis. Biological Conservation 91:109–117.
- 2007. Have we overstated the tropical biodiversity crisis? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22:65–70.
- 2001. The future of the Brazilian Amazon. Science 291:438–439. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Emerging threats to tropical forests. University of Chicago Press, Chicago . , and , editors.
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403:853–858. , , , , and .
- 1995. The future of biodiversity. Science 269:347–350. , , , and .
- 2000. Extinction by numbers. Nature 403:843–845. , and .
- 2005. Tropical forests: regional paths of destruction and regeneration in the late twentieth century. Columbia University Press, New York .
- 2007. Tropical conservation biology. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford , United Kingdom . , , and .
- 2006. Modelling conservation in the Amazon basin. Nature 440:520–523. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Neotropical birds: ecology and conservation. University of Chicago Press, Chicago . , , , and .
- UN 2004. World urbanization prospects: the 2003 revision. United Nations Population Division, New York .
- 1988. Biodiversity. National Academy Press, Washington , D.C . , and , editors.
- 2006a. The future of tropical forest species. Biotropica 38:287–301. , and .
- 2006b. The uncertain future of tropical forest species. Biotropica 38:443–445. , and .