Consistent Ecological Selectivity through Time in Pacific Island Avian Extinctions
Article first published online: 16 OCT 2009
©2009 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 24, Issue 2, pages 511–519, April 2010
How to Cite
BOYER, A. G. (2010), Consistent Ecological Selectivity through Time in Pacific Island Avian Extinctions. Conservation Biology, 24: 511–519. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2009.01341.x
- Issue published online: 22 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 16 OCT 2009
- Paper submitted February 17, 2009; revised manuscript accepted June 22, 2009.
- 2002. Patterns of endemic extinctions among island bird species. Ecography 25:661–676.
- BirdLife International. 2008a. Pacific overview. BirdLife International, Cambridge , United Kingdom . Available from http://www.birdlife.org/regional/pacific (accessed April 2008).
- BirdLife International. 2008b. World bird database. BirdLife International, Cambridge , United Kingdom . Available from http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/index.html (accessed April 2008).
- 2004. Avian extinction and mammalian introductions on oceanic islands. Science 305:1955–1958. , , , , and .
- 2008. Extinction patterns in the avifauna of the Hawaiian islands. Diversity and Distributions 14:509–517.
- 1995. Macroecology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago , Illinois .
- 1992. The relationship of hindlimb bone dimensions to body weight in birds. Pages 395–412 in J. K. E.Campbell, editor. Papers in avian paleontology honoring Pierce Brodkorb. Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Los Angeles , California . , and .
- 2001. Pattern classification. 2nd edition. Wiley, New York . , , and .
- 2004. Extinction and endemism in the New Zealand Avifauna. Global Ecology and Biogeography 13:509–517. , and .
- 2002. Prehistoric bird extinctions and human hunting. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 269:517–521. , , and .
- Fielding, A., editor 1999. Machine learning methods for ecological applications. Kluwer, Norwell , Massachusetts .
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature). 2007. Red List of threatened species. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland . Available from http://www.iucnredlist.org (accessed November 2007).
- 2006. Analysing extinction risk in parrots using decision trees. Biodiversity and Conservation 15:1993–2007. , , and .
- 2007. The biogeography of avian extinctions on oceanic islands. Journal of Biogeography 35:1106–1111. , , , and .
- 2000. On the Road of the Winds: an archaeological history of the Pacific islands before European contact. University of California Press, Berkeley .
- 2006. Paleozoology in the service of conservation biology. Evolutionary Anthropology 15:11–19.
- 1984. Prehistoric overkill: the global model. Pages 354–403 in P.Martin & R.Klein, editors. Quaternary Extinctions: a prehistoric revolution. University of Arizona Press, Tucson .
- 1993. Naïve birds and noble savages—a review of man-caused prehistoric extinctions of island birds. Ecography 16:229–251. , and .
- 1982a. Fossil birds from the Hawaiian islands: Evidence for wholesale extinction by man before western contact. Science 217:633–635. , and .
- 1982b. Prodromus of the fossil avifauna of the Hawaiian islands. Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology 365:1–59. , and .
- 2000. Ecological basis of extinction risk in birds: Habitat loss versus human persecution and introduced predators. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the U.S.A. 97:12144–12148. , and .
- 1994. Bird extinctions in the central Pacific. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B Biological Sciences 344:27–33. , , and .
- 2006. Human impacts on the rates of recent, present, and future bird extinctions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the U.S.A. 103:10941–10946. , , , , and .
- R Foundation for Statistical Computing. 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Version 2.8.2. R Foundation, Vienna . Available from http://www.R-project.org.
- 2003. Of rats and Maoris: a novel method for the analysis of patterns of extinction in the New Zealand avifauna before European contact. Evolutionary Ecology Research 5:759–779. , and .
- 2004. Environmental predictors of pre-European deforestation on Pacific islands. Nature 431:443–446. , and .
- 2006. Extinction and biogeography of tropical Pacific birds. University of Chicago Press, Chicago , Illinois .
- 1999. Prehistoric birds from New Ireland, Papua New Guinea: extinctions on a large Melanesian island. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the U.S.A. 96:2563–2568. , , and .
- 2003. The late Quaternary extinction and future resurrection of birds on Pacific islands. Earth-Science Reviews 61:133–147. , and .
- 2003. Decision forest: combining the predictions of multiple independent decision tree models. Journal of Chemical Information and Computer Sciences 43:525–531. , , , , and .
- 2007. Threats to Avifauna on Oceanic Islands. Conservation Biology 21:125–132. , , and .
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). 1998. Island directory — basic environmental and geographic information on the significant islands of the world. UNEP, Nairobi . Available from http://islands.unep.ch/isldir.htm (accessed April 2008).
- 1995. Further remarks on phylogenetic correction. Journal of Ecology 83:727–729. , , and .
- 2005. Data mining: practical machine learning tools and techniques. 2nd edition. Morgan Kaufmann, San Fransisco , California . , and .