Improving the Performance of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil for Nature Conservation
Version of Record online: 19 FEB 2010
©2010 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 24, Issue 2, pages 377–381, April 2010
How to Cite
LAURANCE, W. F., KOH, L. P., BUTLER, R., SODHI, N. S., BRADSHAW, C. J. A., NEIDEL, J. D., CONSUNJI, H. and MATEO VEGA, J. (2010), Improving the Performance of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil for Nature Conservation. Conservation Biology, 24: 377–381. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2010.01448.x
- Issue online: 22 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 19 FEB 2010
- Paper submitted June 12, 2009; revised manuscript accepted October 16, 2009.
- 2007. Combined climate and carbon-cycle effects of large-scale deforestation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 104:6550–6555. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Providing correct perspective of oil palm cultivation effects on land use. Presentation of Malaysian Palm Oil Council, ELTI Biofuels Conference 2009. Environmental Leadership and Training Initiative, Balboa, Panama. Available from http://www.elti.org/storage/Sundram.pdf (accessed July 2009).
- 2008. New strategies for conserving tropical forests. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:469–472. , and .
- 2009. Is oil palm the next emerging threat to the Amazon? Tropical Conservation Science 2:1–10. , and .
- 2009. Biofuel plantations on forested lands: double jeopardy for biodiversity and climate. Conservation Biology 23:348–358. , et al.
- Down to Earth. 2004. Sustainable palm oil: mission impossible? Down to Earth November: 16–18. Available from http://www.rspo.org/resource_centre/63.pdf (accessed August 2009).
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization). 2009. Detailed trade data. Available from FAOSTAT Online Statistical Service, Rome (accessed September 2009).
- 2008. How will oil palm expansion affect biodiversity? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:538–545. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Carbon-payback times for crop-based biofuel expansion in the tropics: the effects of changing yield and technology. Environmental Research Letters 3:DOI:10.1088/1748-9326/3/3/034001. , , , , , , and .
- Greenpeace. 2008. How the palm oil industry is cooking the climate. Greenpeace International, Amsterdam. Available from http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/content/international/press/reports/palm-oil-cooking-the-climate.pdf (accessed MONTH YEAR).
- 2009. Calling Indonesia's $13 billion bluff. Conservation Biology 23:789.
- 2009a. Conversion of Indonesia's peatlands. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7:238. , , and .
- 2009b. Wash and spin cycle threats to tropical biodiversity. Biotropica 43:67-71. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Is oil palm agriculture really destroying tropical biodiversity? Conservation Letters DOI:10.1111/j.1755-263X.2008.00011.x. , and .
- 2009. Oil palm: disinformation enables deforestation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24:67–68. , and .
- 2008. Biofuels—at what cost? Government support for biodiesel in Malaysia. International Institute for Sustainable Development-Global Subsidies Initiative, Geneva (http://www.globalsubsidies.org/en/research/biofuel-subsidies-malaysia) (accessed September 2009). , and .
- 2009. Biofuels and palm oil: why palm oil cannot fuel the biofuels industry. Greenpeace presentation, ELTI biofuels conference 2009. Environmental Leadership and Training Initiative, Balboa, Panama. Available from http://www.elti.org/storage/Maitar1.pdf (accessed July 2009).
- RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil). 2008. RSPO membership factsheet. RSPO, Selangor, Malaysia. Available from http://www.rspo.org/resource_centre/Factsheet-RSPO-Membership.pdf (accessed August 2009).
- RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil). 2009. Proceedings of the 6th roundtable meeting on sustainable palm oil. RSPO, Selangor, Malaysia. Available from http://www.rspo.org/Proceedings$$_6th_Roundtable_Meeting_on_Sustainable_Palm_Oil_(RT6).aspx (accessed September 2009).
- RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil). 2006. RSPO principles and criteria for sustainable palm oil production. RSPO, Selangor, Malaysia. Available from http://www.rspo.org/resource_centre/RSPO%20Criteria%20Final%20Guidance%20with%20NI%20Document.pdf (accessed October 2009).
- 2003. Remote sensing for biodiversity science and conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:306–314. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Addressing the threats to biodiversity from oil palm agriculture. Biodiversity and Conservation DOI:10.1007/s10531-009-9760-x. , and .