A Meta-Analytic Review of Corridor Effectiveness
Article first published online: 19 FEB 2010
©2010 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 660–668, June 2010
How to Cite
GILBERT-NORTON, L., WILSON, R., STEVENS, J. R. and BEARD, K. H. (2010), A Meta-Analytic Review of Corridor Effectiveness. Conservation Biology, 24: 660–668. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2010.01450.x
- Issue published online: 14 MAY 2010
- Article first published online: 19 FEB 2010
- Paper submitted July 15, 2009; revised manuscript accepted October 14, 2009.
- 1999. The effect of habitat corridors on rates of transfer and interbreeding between vole demes. Ecology 80:1648–1655. , and .
- 1996. Optimal width of corridors for root voles: not too narrow and not too wide. Journal of Applied Ecology 33:63–70. , , and .
- 1998. Space-use responses to habitat fragmentation and connectivity in the root vole Microtus oeconomus. Ecology 79:1223–1235. , , and .
- 1921. Species and area. Journal of Ecology 9:95–99.
- 2007. Effect of corridors on the movement behavior of the jumping spider Phidippus princeps (Araneae, Salticidae). Canadian Journal of Zoology 85:802–808.
- 1991. Effects of competitive interactions and habitat structure on life history traits and dispersal in land snails. PhD thesis. Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
- 1998. Do habitat corridors provide connectivity? Conservation Biology 12:1241–1252. , and .
- 2006. The future of connectivity conservation. Pages 676–694 in K. R.Crooks and M.Sanjayan, editors. Connectivity conservation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kindgom . , , and .
- 2002. Responses of prey to the presence of predators in a fragmented landscape with corridors. MS thesis. North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- 1977. Turnover rates in insular biogeography: effect of immigration on extinction. Ecology 58:445–449. , and .
- 1996. Microcosms have limited relevance for community and ecosystem ecology. Ecology 77:677–680.
- 2006. An experimental test of matrix permeability and corridor use by an endemic understory bird. Conservation Biology 20:135–145. , and .
- 2001. Population dynamics of Microtus pennsylvanicus in corridor-linked patches. Oikos 93:3–21. , , and .
- 1988. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. Academic Press, New York .
- 2000. Effects of grassland fragmentation on insect species loss, colonization and movement patterns. Ecology 81:2211–2226.
- 1994. The handbook of research synthesis. Russell Sage Foundation, New York . , and , editors.
- 2008. The movement ecology and dynamics of plant communities in fragmented landscapes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:19078–19083. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Corridors increase plant species richness at large scales. Science 313:1284–1286. , , , , and .
- 2005. Do habitat corridors influence animal dispersal and colonization in estuarine systems? Landscape Ecology 20:841–855. , and .
- 2007. Effectiveness of corridors relative to enlargement of habitat patches. Conservation Biology 21:1341–1346. , and .
- 2002. The role of habitat connectivity and landscape geometry in experimental zooplankton metacommunities. Oikos 96:433–440. , and .
- 2008. Riparian corridors enhance movement of a forest specialist bird in fragmented tropical forest. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:19774–19779. , and .
- 1994. Stochastically dependent effect sizes. Pages 339–355 in H.Cooper and L. V.Hedges, editors. The handbook of research synthesis. Russell Sage Foundation, New York . , and .
- 1998. Metapopulation dynamics abundance and distribution in microecosystem. Science 281:2045–2047. , , , , and .
- 2001. Meta analysis: combining the results of independent experiments. Ecology 80:1142–1149. , and .
- 1995. Dispersal and use of corridors by birds in wooded patches on an agricultural landscape. Conservation Biology 9:845–854.
- 2008. Finding the corridor more traveled. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:19569–19570.
- 2003. Corridor use by diverse taxa. Ecology 84:609–615. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Impacts of corridors on populations and communities. Pages 390–415 in K. R.Crooks and M. A.Sanjayan, editors. Connectivity conservation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- 1998. Metapopulation dynamics. Nature 396:41–49.
- 1999. Metapopulation Ecology. Oxford University Press, Oxford , United Kingdom . ,
- 1991. From implications to applications: the dispersal corridor principal applied to the conservation of biological diversity. Pages 189–220 in D. A.Saunders and R. J.Hobbs, editors. Nature conservation 2: the role of corridors. Surrey Beaty and Sons, Chipping Norton , New South Wales . , and .
- 2001. Communicating clearly about conservation corridors. Landscape and Urban Planning 55:195–208. , and .
- 2006. Corridor ecology. The science and practice of linking landscapes for biodiversity conservation. Island Press, Washington . , , and .
- 2004. Species richness of moss landscapes unaffected by short-term fragmentation. Oikos 105:359–367. , and .
- 2003. Predicting which species will benefit from corridors in fragmented landscapes from population growth models. The American Naturalist 161:808–820. , and .
- 2008. Plant-soil feedbacks: a meta-analytical review. Ecology Letters 11:980–992. , , , and .
- 1988. Use of corridors and scale of movement in farmland by Peromyscus leucopus. MS thesis. Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario.
- 2005. Effects of landscape corridors on seed dispersal by birds. Science 309:146–148. , , , , and .
- 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton , New Jersey . , and .
- 2003. Influence of landscape elements on population densities and habitat use of three small-mammal species. Journal of Mammalogy 84:20–25. , , and .
- 2004. Continua and umwelt: Novel perspectives on viewing landscapes. Oikos 104:621–628. , , and .
- 2002. Climate change hastens population extinctions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 99:6070–6074. , , , and .
- 1996. The one-migrant-per-generation rule in conservation and management. Conservation Biology 10:1509–1518. , and .
- 2005. Corridors cause differential seed predation. Ecological Applications 15:793–798. , and .
- 2005. Patch shape, connectivity, and foraging by oldfield mice (Peromyscus polionotus). Journal of Mammalogy 86:569–575. , and .
- 2001. Getting it right and wrong: extrapolations across experimental scales. Columbia University Press, New York . , editor.
- 2000. Corridors and mammal community structure across a fragmented, old-growth forest landscape. Ecological Monographs 70:401–422. , and .
- 2008. Effect of habitat area and isolation on fragmented animal populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:20770–20775. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna .
- 2005. Species richness and food web structure of soil decomposer community as affected by the size of habitat fragment and habitat corridors. Global Change Biology 11:1614–1627. , , , , and .
- 2004. Testing the usefulness of habitat corridors in mitigating the negative effects of fragmentation: the soil faunal community as a model system. Applied Soil Ecology 25:267–274. , , and .
- 1998. Replication versus realism: the need for ecosystem-scale experiments. Ecosystems 1:323–334.
- 1991. The theory of wildlife corridor capability. Beatty and Sons, Surrey , United Kingdom . , and .
- 2009. Metahdep: meta-analysis of hierarchically dependent gene expression studies. Bioinformatics 25:2619–2620. , and .
- 2009. Hierarchical dependence in meta-analysis. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics 34:46–73. , and .
- 2002. Corridors affect plants, animals, and their interactions in fragmented landscapes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:12923–12926. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Using the normal quantile plot to explore meta-analytic data sets. Psychological Methods 3:46–54. , and .
- 1998. Quantifying threats to imperiled species in the United States. BioScience 48:607–615. , , , , and .