Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Interacting Effects of Phenotypic Plasticity and Evolution on Population Persistence in a Changing Climate
Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2010
Journal compilation ©2010 Society for Conservation Biology. No claim to original US government works.
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 56–63, February 2011
How to Cite
REED, T. E., SCHINDLER, D. E. and WAPLES, R. S. (2011), Interacting Effects of Phenotypic Plasticity and Evolution on Population Persistence in a Changing Climate. Conservation Biology, 25: 56–63. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2010.01552.x
- Issue online: 19 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2010
- Paper submitted November 13, 2009; revised manuscript accepted March 13, 2010.
- 2009. How much do genetic covariances alter the rate of adaptation? Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 276: 1183–1191. , and .
- 2002. The evolution of thermal physiology in ectotherms. Journal of Thermal Biology 27: 249–268. , , and .
- 2001. The adaptive landscape as a conceptual bridge between micro- and macroevolution. Genetica 112: 9–32. , , and .
- 2005. Stress-induced variation in evolution: from behavioural plasticity to genetic assimilation. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 272: 877–886.
- 2009. Coral bleaching: the role of the host. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24: 16–20. , , , and .
- 2004. Keeping pace with fast climate change: can arctic life count on evolution? Integrative and Comparative Biology 44: 140–151. , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic and demographic parameters determining population persistence after a discrete change in the environment. Heredity 86: 313–324. , and .
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Advances in Genetics 13: 115–155.
- 2008. Genetic response to rapid climate change: it's seasonal timing that matters. Molecular Ecology 17: 157–166. , and .
- 2004. Quantitive-genetic models and changing environments. Pages 171–187 in R.Ferriere, U.Dieckmann, and D.Couvet, editors. Evolutionary conservation biology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- 2008. Managing phenotypic variability with genetic and environmental heterogeneity: adaptation as a first principle of conservation practice. Pages 181–198 in S. P.Carroll and C. W.Fox, editors. Conservation biology: evolution in action. Oxford University Press, New York . , and .
- 2010. Adaptation, plasticity, and extinction in a changing environment: towards a predictive theory. Public Library of Science Biol 8(4):e1000357. , , and .
- 2008. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity in response to climate change in a wild bird population. Science 320: 800–803. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Evolutionary responses to changing climate. Ecology 86: 1704–1714. , , and .
- 1999. Unpredictable selection in a structured population leads to local genetic differentiation in evolved reaction norms. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 12: 839–851.
- 2008. Impacts of climate warming on terrestrial ectotherms across latitude. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105: 6668–6672. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13: 77–81. , , and .
- 1955. Genetic slippage in response to selection for multiple objectives. Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology 20: 213–224.
- 2005. Global assessment of coral bleaching and required rates of adaptation under climate change. Global Change Biology 11: 2251–2265. , , , , and .
- 2000. Climate extremes: observations, modeling, and impacts. Science 289: 2068–2074. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Evolution in response to climate change. Pages 145–163 in S. P.Carroll and C. W.Fox, editors. Conservation biology: evolution in action. Oxford University Press, New York .
- 2001. Constraint to adaptive evolution in response to global warming. Science 294: 151–154. , and .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. 4th edition. Longmans Green, Harlow, Essex , United Kingdom . , and
- 2004. Evolutionary conservation biology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , , and
- 2008. Life history buffering in Antarctic mammals and birds against changing patterns of climate and environmental variation. Global Change Biology 14: 2473–2488. , , and .
- 2007. Rapid evolution of flowering time by an annual plant in response to a climate fluctuation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104: 1278–1282. , , and .
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology 17: 167–178. , , , , and .
- 1995. When does evolution by natural selection prevent extinction? Evolution 49: 201–207. , and .
- 2010. Genetics, adaptation, and invasion in harsh environments. Evolutionary Applications 3: 97–108. , , , and .
- 1992. Quantitative genetics and the evolution of reaction norms. Evolution 46: 390–411. , and .
- 2002. Unpredictable evolution in a 30-year study of Darwin's finches. Science 296: 707–711. , and .
- 2005. Rapid evolution and the convergence of ecological and evolutionary time. Ecology Letters 8: 1114–1127. , , , , and .
- 2007. Constraints and reinforcement on adaptation under climate change: selection of genetically correlated traits. Biological Conservation 137: 599–609. , and .
- 2010. Organismal climatology: analyzing environmental variability at scales relevant to physiological stress. Journal of Experimental Biology 213: 995–1003. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Evolutionary genetics and environmental stress. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and
- 1990. The microevolutionary consequences of climate change. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 5: 311–315.
- 2004. Conservation implications of niche conservatism and evolution in heterogeneous environments. Pages 244–264 in R.Ferriere, U.Dieckmann, and D.Couvet, editors. Evolutionary conservation biology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 2007. Working Group I contribution to the fourth assessment report of the IPCC, climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Pages 1–18 in S.Solomon, D.Qin, M.Manning, Z.Chen, M.Marquis, K. B.Averyt, M.Tignor, and H. L.Miller, editors. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 2004. Evolution and stability of the G-matrix on a landscape with a moving optimum. Evolution 58: 1639–1654. , , and .
- 2008. Functional plasticity of paralogous diterpene synthases involved in conifer defense. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105: 1085–1090. , , , and .
- 2007. Eco-evolutionary conservation biology: contemporary evolution and the dynamics of persistence. Functional Ecology 21: 444–454. , and .
- 2007. The ecogenetic link between demography and evolution: can we bridge the gap between theory and data?. Ecology Letters 10: 773–782. , and .
- 2007. Adaptation of a quantitative trait to a moving optimum. Genetics 176: 715–719. , and .
- 2008. New answers for old questions: the evolutionary quantitative genetics of wild animal populations. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 39: 525–548. , , and .
- 1976. Natural selection and random genetic drift in phenotypic evolution. Evolution 30: 314–334.
- 2009. Adaptation to an extraordinary environment by evolution of phenotypic plasticity and genetic assimilation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22: 1435–1446.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. , and .
- 2002. Plasticity constrained: over-generalized induction cues cause maladaptive phenotypes. Evolutionary Ecology Research 4: 857–870. , and .
- 1993. Evolution and extinction in response to environmental change. Pages 234–250 in P. M.Kareiva, J. G.Kingsolver, and R. B.Huey, editors. Biotic interactions and global change. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , Massachusetts . , and .
- 2006. Global warming and extinctions of endemic species from biodiversity hotspots. Conservation Biology 20: 538–548. , , , , and .
- 2009. Evolutionary consequences of cryptic genetic variation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24: 305–311. , and .
- 2005. Selection on heritable phenotypic plasticity in a wild bird population. Science 310: 304–306. , , , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 37: 637–669.
- 1989. A Model of population growth, dispersal and evolution in a changing environment. Ecology 70: 1657–1664. , , and .
- 2009. Translocation experiments with butterflies reveal limits to enhancement of poleward populations under climate change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106: 11160–11165. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Eco-evolutionary dynamics Introduction. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 364: 1483–1489. , , and .
- 2008. Physiology and climate change. Science 322: 690–692. , and .
- 1996. Evolutionary consequences of simulated global change: genetic adaptation or adaptive phenotypic plasticity? Oecologia 108: 683–693. , and .
- 1970. Selection and covariance. Nature 227: 520–521.
- 2003. The role of phenotypic plasticity in driving genetic evolution. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 270: 1433–1440. , , and .
- 2003. Genetic and plastic responses of a northern mammal to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 270: 591–596. , , , and .
- 1993. Genetics and evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 24: 35–68.
- 2009. Fluctuating population dynamics promotes the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. The American Naturalist 174: 176–189. , , and .
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427: 145–148. , et al.
- 2003. Climate change and habitat destruction: a deadly anthropogenic cocktail. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 270: 467–473.
- 2007. Predicting adaptation of phenology in response to climate change, an insect herbivore example. Global Change Biology 13: 1596–1604. , , , and .
- 1985. Genotype-environment interaction and the evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 39: 505–522. , and .
- 2008. Keeping up with a warming world; assessing the rate of adaptation to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 275: 649–659.
- 2006. Shifts in caterpillar biomass phenology due to climate change and its impact on the breeding biology of an insectivorous bird. Oecologia 147: 164–172. , , and .
- 1998. Warmer springs lead to mistimed reproduction in great tits (Parus major). Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 265: 1867–1870. , , , and .