Current address: Department of Plant Science, University of Pretoria, Lynwood Road, Pretoria 0002, South Africa
Establishing IUCN Red List Criteria for Threatened Ecosystems
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2010
©2010 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 21–29, February 2011
How to Cite
RODRÍGUEZ, J. P., RODRÍGUEZ-CLARK, K. M., BAILLIE, J. E. M., ASH, N., BENSON, J., BOUCHER, T., BROWN, C., BURGESS, N. D., COLLEN, B., JENNINGS, M., KEITH, D. A., NICHOLSON, E., REVENGA, C., REYERS, B., ROUGET, M., SMITH, T., SPALDING, M., TABER, A., WALPOLE, M., ZAGER, I. and ZAMIN, T. (2011), Establishing IUCN Red List Criteria for Threatened Ecosystems. Conservation Biology, 25: 21–29. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2010.01598.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue published online: 19 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2010
- Paper submitted September 19, 2009; revised manuscript accepted April 29, 2010., [Correction added after publication 5 November 2010: Errors in author affiliation and correspondence details were amended.]
- 2008. Freshwater ecoregions of the world: a new map of biogeographic units for freshwater biodiversity conservation. BioScience 58:403–414. , et al.
- 2010. Processed principles for restoring river ecosystems. BioScience 60:209–222. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. New South Wales Vegetation Classification and Assessment: introduction – the classification, database, assessment of protected areas and threat status of plant communities. Cunninghamia 9:331–382.
- 2006. New South Wales Vegetation Classification and Assessment: part 1. Plant communities of the NSW Western Plains. Cunninghamia 9:383–451. , , , and .
- 2007. Improvements to the Red List Index. Public Library of Science ONE 2: DOI:110.1371/journal.pone.0000140. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Measuring global trends in the status of biodiversity: red list indices for birds. Public Library of Science Biology 2:DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0020383. , , , , , , , , and .
- CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity) 1992. Convention on biological diversity. CBD, Montréal .
- CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity) 2003. CBD monitoring and indicators: designing national-level monitoring programmes and indicators. CBD, Montréal .
- CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity) 2010. 2010 biodiversity target indicators. CBD, Montréal . Available from http://www.cbd.int/2010-target/framework/indicators.shtml (accessed March 2010).
- 1996. The report of the Ecological Society of America Committee on the Scientific Basis for Ecosystem Management. Ecological Applications 6:665–691. , et al.
- 2004. Nature conservation requires more than a passion for species. Conservation Biology 18:1674–1676. , , , , , , , , and .
- DEAT (Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism). 2004. The national environmental management: biodiversity act, no. 10. of 2004. DEAT, Pretoria, South Africa. Available from http://www.environment.gov.za (accessed March 2010).
- Department of Environment and Conservation of New South Wales. 2009. Ecological communities. Department of Environment and Conservation of New South Wales, Sydney . Available from http://www.threatenedspecies.environment.nsw.gov.au/tsprofile/home_tec.aspx (accessed March 2010).
- Department of Environment and Conservation of Western Australia. 2009. WA's threatened ecological communities. Department of Environment and Conservation of Western Australia, Perth. Available from: http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/management-and-protection/threatened-species/wa-s-threatened-ecological-communities.html (accessed March 2010).
- 2004. Using the species-area relationship to set baseline targets for conservation. Ecology and Society 9: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol9/iss2/art11. , and .
- 2002. Rote Liste Gefährdeter Biotoptypen Österreichs. Umweltbundesamt GmbH, Vienna. , , and
- 2007. NatureServe conservation status ranking system: procedures for automated rank assignment. NatureServe, Arlington , Virginia . , , , , , , , , , and
- 2006. Predicting biodiversity change: outside the climate envelope, beyond the species-area curve. Ecology 87:1896–1906. , , , , , , , , and .
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature). 2001. IUCN red list categories and criteria. Version 3.1. IUCN, Species Survival Commission, Gland , Switzerland .
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature.) 2010a. IUCN Red List of threatened species. Version 2010.1. IUCN, Species Survival Commission, Gland , Switzerland . Available from http://www.iucnredlist.org (accessed March 2010).
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature). 2010b. Guidelines for using the IUCN Red List categories and criteria. Version 8.0. Standards and Petitions Subcommittee of the IUCN Species Survival Commission, IUCN, Species Survival Commission, Gland , Switzerland . Available from http://intranet.iucn.org/webfiles/doc/SSC/RedList/RedListGuidelines.pdf (accessed July 2010).
- IV World Conservation Congress. 2008. Resolution 4.020: quantitative thresholds for categories and criteria of threatened ecosystems. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland . Available from http://www.iucn.org/congress_08/assembly/policy/(accessed July 2010).
- 2009. Standards for associations and alliances of the US National Vegetation Classification. Ecological Monographs 79:173–199. , , , , and .
- 2009. The interpretation, assessment and conservation of ecological communities Ecological Management and Restoration 10:S3–S15.
- 2003. Value of the IUCN Red List. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:214–215. , et al.
- 2006. Habitat fragmentation and landscape change. Island Press, Washington , D.C. , and .
- 2008. Quantification of extinction risk: IUCN's system for classifying threatened species. Conservation Biology 22:1424–1442. , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. NatureServe conservation status assessments: factors for assessing extinction risk. NatureServe, Arlington , Virginia . , , , , , , , and
- 1996. Evolutionary biology and community ecology. Ecology 77:1319–1320. , and .
- Millennium Development Goals. 2009. Goal 7: Ensure environmental sustainability. United Nations , New York . Available from http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/environ.shtml (accessed March 2010).
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005a. Ecosystems and human well-being: synthesis. Island Press, Washington , D.C.
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment 2005b. Ecosystems and human well-being: wetlands and water: synthesis. World Resources Institute, Washington , D.C.
- 2006. Extinction risk and conservation priorities. Science 313:441–441. , et al.
- 2010. Aerial photography: a rapidly evolving tool for ecological management. BioScience 60:47–59. , , and .
- 2007. Rivers in peril inside and outside protected areas: a systematic approach to conservation assessment of river ecosystems. Diversity and Distributions 13:341–352. , , , , , , , and .
- New South Wales Government. 2009. Schedules of the Threatened Species Conservation Act. New South Wales Government, Sydney . Available fromhttp://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/committee/SchedulesThreatenedSpeciesConservationAct.htm (accessed March 2010).
- 2009. Assessing the threat status of ecological communities. Conservation Biology 23:259–274. , , and .
- 1996. Ecosystems as conservation targets. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 11:351.
- 1971. Fundamentals of ecology. Saunders, Philadelphia , Pennsylvania .
- 2001. Terrestrial ecoregions of the world: a new map of life on Earth. BioScience 51:933–938. , et al.
- 1998. Rare and threatened plant communities of Estonia. Biodiversity and Conservation 7:1027–1049.
- 2002. Limits to the use of threatened species lists. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17:503–507. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Assessment of threatened habitat types in Finland (SY8/2008 Suomen luontotyyppien uhanalaisuus). Finnish Environment Institute, Helsinki . , , and
- 2007. Developing products for conservation decision-making: lessons from a spatial biodiversity assessment for South Africa. Diversity and Distributions 13:608–619. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Legacies of historical land use on regional forest composition and structure in Wisconsin, USA (mid-1800s-1930s-2000s). Ecological Applications 19:1061–1078. , , and .
- 2007. Assessing extinction risk in the absence of species-level data: quantitative criteria for terrestrial ecosystems. Biodiversity and Conservation 16:183–209. , , and .
- 2008. Tropical dry forests in Venezuela: assessing status, threats and future prospects. Environmental Conservation 35:311–318. , , , , , , and .
- 1995. European Vegetation Survey: update on progress. Journal of Vegetation Science 6:759–762. , , , and .
- 2000. National frameworks for marine conservation—a hierarchical geophysical approach. Aquatic Conservation-Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 10:209–223. , and .
- SANBI and DEAT. 2009. Threatened ecosystems in South Africa: general information/descriptions and maps. Drafts for public comment, South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI), Pretoria . Available from http://bgis.sanbi.org/ecosystems/project.asp (accessed July 2010).
- 2009. A new map of standardized terrestrial ecosystems of the conterminous United States. Professional paper 1768. U.S. Geological Survey, Washington , D.C . (Also available from http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1768). , , , and .
- 2001. Catastrophic shifts in ecosystems. Nature 413:591–596. , , , , and .
- 2008. Toward a global biodiversity observing system. Science 321:1044–1045. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. A gap analysis and comprehensive conservation strategy for riverine ecosystems of Missouri. Ecological Monographs 77:301–334. , , , and .
- 2007. Marine ecoregions of the world: a bioregionalization of coastal and shelf areas. BioScience 57:573–583. , et al.
- 2010. The barometer of life. Science 328:177–177. , , , , and .
- 1974. Faunal equilibria and the design of wildlife preserves. Pages 369–380 in F.Golley and E.Medina, editors. Tropical ecological systems: trends in terrestrial and aquatic research. Springer-Verlag, New York .
- 1997. Transitory states in relaxing ecosystems of land bridge islands. Pages 256–274 in W. F.Laurance and R. O.BierregaardJr., editors. Tropical forest remnants: ecology, management, and conservation of fragmented communities. University of Chicago Press, Chicago . , , , , and .
- 1994. Habitat destruction and the extinction debt. Nature 371:65–66. , , , and .
- 2009. The IUCN Red List: a key conservation tool. Pages 1–14 in J.-C.Vié, C. HiltonTaylor, and S. N.Stuart, editors. Wildlife in a changing world—an analysis of the 2008 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. International Union for Conservation of Nature, Gland , Switzerland . , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Tracking progress toward the 2010 Biodiversity Target and beyond. Science 325:1503–1504. , et al.
- 2005. Turning science into policy: challenges and experiences from the science-policy interface. Philosophical Transactions of The Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 360:471–477.
- 1975. Communities and ecosystems. Macmillan, New York .
- 2010. National red listing beyond the 2010 target. Conservation Biology 24:1012–1020. , , , , , and .