The Why, What, and How of Global Biodiversity Indicators Beyond the 2010 Target
Article first published online: 17 NOV 2010
©2010 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 25, Issue 3, pages 450–457, June 2011
How to Cite
JONES, J. P. G., COLLEN, B., ATKINSON, G., BAXTER, P. W. J., BUBB, P., ILLIAN, J. B., KATZNER, T. E., KEANE, A., LOH, J., MCDONALD-MADDEN, E., NICHOLSON, E., PEREIRA, H. M., POSSINGHAM, H. P., PULLIN, A. S., RODRIGUES, A. S. L., RUIZ-GUTIERREZ, V., SOMMERVILLE, M. and MILNER-GULLAND, E. J. (2011), The Why, What, and How of Global Biodiversity Indicators Beyond the 2010 Target. Conservation Biology, 25: 450–457. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2010.01605.x
- Issue published online: 11 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 17 NOV 2010
- Paper submitted December 15, 2009; revised manuscript accepted September 8, 2010.
- 2008. Toward monitoring global biodiversity. Conservation Letters 1:8–26. , et al.
- 2005. The 2010 challenge: data availability, information needs and extraterrestrial insights. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 360:221–228. , , , , and .
- 2008. Review on the economics of biodiversity loss: scoping the science. Report (contract ENV/070307/2007/486089/ETU/B2). European Commission, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Performance indicators: good, bad, and ugly. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series a—Statistics in Society 168:1–27. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Global biodiversity conservation priorities. Science 313:58–61. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Elephants and ivory. Significance 4: 118–122.
- 2010. Global biodiversity: indicators of recent declines. Science 328:1164–1168. , et al.
- Convention on Biological Diversity. 2000. Sustaining life on Earth: how the convention on biological diversity promotes nature and human well-being. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal .
- 2005. Measuring the extent and effectiveness of protected areas as an indicator for meeting global biodiversity targets. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 360:443–455. , , , and .
- 2010. Reduced expectations: the political and institutional challenges of REDD+. Oryx 44:309–310.
- 2009. Monitoring change in vertebrate abundance: the Living Planet Index. Conservation Biology 23:317–327. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Monitoring global rates of biodiversity change: challenges that arise in meeting the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) 2010 goals. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 360:229–241.
- 1995. Public opinion and environmental policy. Pages 63–114 in J. P. Lester, editor. Environmental politics and policy: theories and evidence. Duke University Press, Durham , North Carolina .
- 1985. Large losses of total ozone in Antarctica reveal seasonal ClOx/NOx interaction. Nature 315:207–210. , , and .
- 2004. Minimizing the cost of environmental decisions by optimizing statistical thresholds. Ecology Letters 7:669–675. , , , , and .
- 1996. Biodiversity: abiology of numbers and difference. Blackwell Science, Oxford , United Kingdom .
- 2005. A theory for optimal monitoring of marine reserves. Ecology Letters 8:829–837. , , , and .
- 1975. Monetary relationships: a view from Threadneedle Street. Papers in monetary economics. Reserve Bank of Australia, Sydney.
- 2008. Difficulties in tracking the long-term global trend in tropical forest area. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:818–823.
- 2008. Theory to guide management of species for conservation. PhD thesis. University of Queensland , Brisbane .
- 2007. Using modelling to improve monitoring of structured populations: are we collecting the right data Conservation Biology 21:241–252. , , and .
- 2000. What do test scores in Texas tell us? Education Policy Analysis Archives 8:1–22. , , , and .
- 2005. Why most conservation monitoring is, but need not be, a waste of time. Journal of Environmental Management 78:194–199. , and .
- 2009. Adaptive monitoring: a new paradigm for long-term research and monitoring. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24:482–486. , and .
- 2007. The 2010 biodiversity indicators: challenges for science and policy. Conservation Biology 21:1406–1413. , and .
- 2010. Biodiversity targets after 2010. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 2:1–6. , et al.
- 2005. Tropical forest cover change in the 1990s and options for future monitoring. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 360:373–384. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Biological field stations: research legacies and sites for serendipity. Bioscience 59:300–310. , , , , , , and .
- 2004 More than meets the eye—earth's real biodiversity is invisible, whether we like it or not. Nature 429:804–805.
- 2006. Monitoring for conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:668–673. , and .
- 2006. Madagascar defiant. BioScience 56:960–965.
- 2006. Towards the global monitoring of biodiversity change. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:123–129. , and .
- 2008. Ecology – toward a global biodiversity observing system. Science 321:1044–1045. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. The need for evidence-based conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19:305–308. , , , and .
- 2009. Harnessing carbon payments to protect biodiversity. Science 326:1368–1368. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Tracking progress toward the 2010 biodiversity target and beyond. Science 325:1503–1504. , et al.
- 2007. Is adaptive management helping to solve fisheries problems Ambio 36:304–307.
- 2009. China's progress toward the significant reduction of the rate of biodiversity loss. BioScience 59:843–852. , et al.
- 2001. Monitoring of biological diversity in space and time. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:446–453. , , and .