Generation of Priority Research Questions to Inform Conservation Policy and Management at a National Level
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2010
©2010 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 25, Issue 3, pages 476–484, June 2011
How to Cite
RUDD, M. A., BEAZLEY, K. F., COOKE, S. J., FLEISHMAN, E., LANE, D. E., MASCIA, M. B., ROTH, R., TABOR, G., BAKKER, J. A., BELLEFONTAINE, T., BERTEAUX, D., CANTIN, B., CHAULK, K. G., CUNNINGHAM, K., DOBELL, R., FAST, E., FERRARA, N., FINDLAY, C. S., HALLSTROM, L. K., HAMMOND, T., HERMANUTZ, L., HUTCHINGS, J. A., LINDSAY, K. E., MARTA, T. J., NGUYEN, V. M., NORTHEY, G., PRIOR, K., RAMIREZ-SANCHEZ, S., RICE, J., SLEEP, D. J. H., SZABO, N. D., TROTTIER, G., TOUSSAINT, J.-P. and VEILLEUX, J.-P. (2011), Generation of Priority Research Questions to Inform Conservation Policy and Management at a National Level. Conservation Biology, 25: 476–484. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2010.01625.x
- Issue online: 11 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2010
- Paper submitted June 23, 2010; revised manuscript accepted September 28, 2010.
- 2006. Quantifying the evidence for biodiversity effects on ecosystem functioning and services. Ecology Letters 9:1146–1156. , , , , , , and .
- 1987. Policy analysis by design. University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania . , and
- 2002. Social risk, political rationality and official responsibility: risk management in context. The Walkerton Inquiry, Toronto.
- Environment Canada. 2006. A biodiversity outcomes framework for Canada. Environment Canada, Ottawa.
- 2009. Defining and classifying ecosystem services for decision making. Ecological Economics 68:643–653. , , and .
- 2005. Adapative governance of social-ecological systems. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 30:441–473. , , , and .
- 2010. What we know, do not know, and need to know about climate change vulnerability in the western Canadian Arctic: a systematic literature review. Environmental Research Letters 5:014008, DOI:10.1088/1748-9326/5/1/014008. , and .
- 2010. Climate change policy responses for Canada's Inuit population: the importance of and opportunities for adaptation. Global Environmental Change 20:177–191. , , , , and .
- Government of Canada. 2000. A framework for science and technology advice: principles and guidelines for the effective use of science and technology advice in government decision making. Government of Canada, Ottawa.
- Government of Canada. 2001. A Canadian perspective on the precautionary approach/principle – discussion document. Government of Canada, Ottawa.
- Government of Canada. 2007. Mobilizing science and technology to Canada's advantage. Industry Canada, Ottawa.
- 2006. Ecological thresholds: the key to successful environmental management or an important concept with no practical application? Ecosystems 9:1–13. , et al.
- 2009. Policy analytical capacity and evidence-based policy-making: lessons from Canada. Canadian Public Administration 52:153–175.
- 2008. The value of ecosystem services provided by the U.S. National Wildlife Refuge System in the contiguous U.S. Ecological Economics 67:608–618. , and .
- 2002. Crop pollination from native bees at risk from agricultural intensification Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 99:16812–16816. , , and .
- 2007. A Canadian priorities agenda: policy choices to improve economic and social well-being. Institute for Research on Public Policy, Ottawa, Canada. , , and , editors.
- 2002. Trace gas emissions and species-dependent ecosystem services. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17:309–312. , and .
- MEA (Millenium Ecosystem Assessment). 2005. Living beyond our means: natural assets and human well-being. Island Press, Washington , D.C .
- 2009. The big ecological questions inhibiting effective environmental management in Australia. Austal Ecology 34:1–9. , et al.
- 2009. Emerging threats to human health from global environmental change. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 34:223–252. , and .
- NRTEE (National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy). 2003. Securing Canada's natural capital: a vision for nature conservation in the 21st century. NRTEE, Ottawa, Canada.
- 2007. Using evidence: how research can inform public services. The Policy Press, Bristol , United Kingdom . , , and .
- 2010. The top 100 questions of importance to the future of global agriculture. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 8:219–236. , et al.
- 2009. Northern Canada in a changing climate: major findings and conclusions. Ambio 38:290–292. , and .
- 2009. Linking reductionist science and holistic policy using systematic reviews: unpacking environmental policy questions to construct an evidence-based framework. Journal of Applied Ecology 46:970–975. , , and .
- 2005. Linking research and policy on Capitol Hill: insights from research brokers. Evidence & Policy 1:195–214.
- 2007. Cod: the ecological history of the North Atlantic fisheries. Breakwater Books, St. John's, Newfoundland .
- 2004. An institutional framework for designing and monitoring ecosystem-based fisheries management policy experiments. Ecological Economics 48:109–124.
- 2009. National values for regional aquatic species at risk in Canada. Endangered Species Research 6:239–249.
- 2010. Conservation-reliant species and the future of conservation. Conservation Letters 3:91–97. , , , , and .
- 1997. Evaluation use: theory, research, and practice since1986. Evaluation Practice 18:195–208. , and .
- 2000. Toward a coherent theory of environmentally significant behavior. Journal of Social Issues 56:407–424.
- 2006. The identification of 100 ecological questions of high policy relevance in the UK. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:617–627. , et al.
- 2009. One hundred questions of importance to the conservation of global biological diversity. Conservation Biology 23:557–567. , et al.
- TBS (Treasury Board Secretariat). 2007. Canadian cost-benefit analysis guide: regulatory proposals. TBS, Ottawa, Canada.
- TEEB (The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity). 2009. The economics of ecosystems and biodiversity for national and international policy makers – summary: responding to the value of nature. TEEB, Bonn, Germany.
- 1978. Improving the linkage between social research and public policy. Pages 28–80 in L. E.Lynn, editor. Knowledge and policy: the uncertain connection. National Academy of Sciences, Washington , D.C.