Carbon Payments and Low-Cost Conservation
Article first published online: 20 APR 2011
©2011 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 25, Issue 4, pages 835–845, August 2011
How to Cite
CROSSMAN, N. D., BRYAN, B. A. and SUMMERS, D. M. (2011), Carbon Payments and Low-Cost Conservation. Conservation Biology, 25: 835–845. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2011.01649.x
- Issue published online: 19 JUL 2011
- Article first published online: 20 APR 2011
- Paper submitted July 30, 2010; revised manuscript accepted November 15, 2010.
- 1994. Effects of habitat fragmentation on birds and mammals in landscapes with different proportions of suitable habitat: a review. Oikos 71:355–366.
- Australia Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics. 2010. Australian commodities. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra .
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2006. Small area of agricultural commodity data 2005–06. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra .
- Australian Government. 2010a. Australia's 15 national biodiversity hotspots. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra .
- Australian Government. 2010b. Interim biogeographic regionalisation for Australia. Version 6.1 sub-regions. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra .
- 2008. Using carbon investment to grow the biodiversity bank. Conservation Biology 22:510–513. , and .
- 2010. The biodiversity bank cannot be a lending bank. Conservation Letters 3:151–158. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Enhancement of biodiversity and ecosystem services by ecological restoration: a meta-analysis. Science 325:1121–1124. , , , and .
- 2004. Reconstructing pre-impact vegetation cover in modified landscapes using environmental modelling, historical surveys and remnant vegetation data: a case study in the Fleurieu peninsula, South Australia. Journal of Biogeography 31:787–805. , and .
- 2008. Systematic regional planning for multiple objective natural resource management. Journal of Environmental Management 88:1175–1189. , and .
- 2009. Mapping economic returns to agriculture for informing environmental policy in the Murray-Darling basin, Australia. Environmental Modeling and Assessment 14:375–390. , , , and .
- 2011. Modelling and mapping agricultural opportunity costs to guide landscape planning for natural resource management. Ecological Indicators 11:199–208. , , and .
- 2008. Exploring the cost effectiveness of land conservation auctions and payment policies. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 52:303–319. , , and .
- 2006. Systematic landscape restoration using integer programming. Biological Conservation 128:369–383. , and .
- Department of Sustainability and Environment. 2006. Native vegetation revegetation planting standards—Guidelines for establishing native vegetation for net gain accounting. Victorian Government, Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne , Australia .
- Department of Water Land and Biodiversity Conservation. 2007. Land and soil spatial data for southern South Australia-GIS format. Soil and land program, Department of Water, Land and Biodiversity Conservation, Adelaide .
- Department of Water Land and Biodiversity Conservation. 2008. Land use mapping for South Australia. Soil and land program, Department of Water, Land and Biodiversity Conservation, Adelaide .
- 2009. Carbon for conservation: assessing the potential for win-win investment in an extensive Australian regrowth ecosystem. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 134:1–7. , , , and .
- 2006. Rates of carbon sequestration in environmental plantings in north-central Victoria. Veg Futures: the conference in the Field. Greening Australia, Canberra. , , , and .
- ESRI (Environmental Systems Research Institute). 2009. Arcgis 9.3. ESRI, Redlands , California .
- European Energy Exchange. 2010. Emission rights. Eruopean Energy Exchange, xxx(location).
- 2005. Effects of afforestation on water yield: a global synthesis with implications for policy. Global Change Biology 11:1565–1576. , , and .
- 2002. Direct payments to conserve biodiversity. Science 298:1718–1719. , and .
- 2005. Status of species conservation banking in the United States. Conservation Biology 19:996–1007. , and .
- GAMS Development Corporation. 2009. GAMS version 23.0.2. GAMS Development, Washington, D.C.
- 2008. Integrating production and natural resource management on mixed farms in eastern Australia: the cost of conservation in agricultural landscapes. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 127:153–165. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Designing payments for ecosystem services: Lessons from previous experience with incentive-based mechanisms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105:9465–9470. , , and .
- 2005. Trading water for carbon with biological carbon sequestration. Science 310:1944–1947. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. An overview of apsim, a model designed for farming systems simulation. European Journal of Agronomy 18:267–288. , et al.
- 1997. A generalised model of forest productivity using simplified concepts of radiation-use efficiency, carbon balance and partitioning. Forest Ecology and Management 95:209–228. , and .
- 2008. Analysing the economic potential of forestry for carbon sequestration under alternative carbon price paths. Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Canberra . , , , , and
- 2010. What makes an effective restoration planting for woodland birds? Biological Conservation 143:289–301. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Systematic conservation planning. Nature 405:243–253. , and .
- 2006. Fauna-habitat relationships: a basis for identifying key stand structural attributes in temperate Australian eucalypt forests and woodlands. Pacific Conservation Biology 12:89–110. , , , and .
- 2009. Revegetation in agricultural areas: the development of structural complexity and floristic diversity. Ecological Applications 19:1197–1210. , , , and .
- 2000. Climate change and forest sinks: factors affecting the costs of carbon sequestration. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 40:211–235. , and .
- 1986. A biogeographic analysis of australian elapid snakes. Pages 4–17 in R. Longmore, editor. Atlas of elapid snakes of Australia. Australian flora and fauna series 11. Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra .
- 2006. Understanding and promoting adoption of conservation practices by rural landholders. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 46:1407–1424. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Calibration of the forest growth model 3-pg to eucalypt plantations growing in low rainfall regions of Australia. Forest Ecology and Management 243:237–247. , , , , and .
- 2008. Where to put things? Spatial land management to sustain biodiversity and economic returns. Biological Conservation 141:1505–1524. , et al.
- 2008. Regional opportunities for agroforestry systems in Australia. Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation, Canberra . , et al.
- 2009. Dangers of carbon-based conservation. Global Environmental Change 19:400–401. , and .
- 2004. A review of forest carbon sequestration cost studies: a dozen years of research. Climatic Change 63:1–48. , and .
- 2006. Assessing the carbon sequestration potential of managed forests: a case study from temperate Australia. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:1149–1159. , , , , and .
- Rural Solutions. 2008. South Australian farm gross margin guide 2008. Rural Solutions, Adelaide .
- 2003. Integrating economics and ecology to protect nature on private lands: models, methods, and mindsets. Environmental Science and Policy 6:233–242. , , and .
- 2000. The potential for carbon sequestration through reforestation of abandoned tropical agricultural and pasture lands. Restoration Ecology 8:394–407. , , and .
- Society for Ecological Restoration International Science and Policy Working Group. 2004. The SER international primer on ecological restoration. Society for Ecological Restoration International, Tucson , Arizona .
- 2009. The potential ecological costs and cobenefits of REDD: a critical review and case study from the Amazon region. Global Change Biology 15:2803–2824. , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Auctions for conservation contracts: an empirical examination of Victoria's Bushtender trial. The Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 47:477–500. , , , and .
- 2009. Where and when to revegetate: a quantitative method for scheduling landscape reconstruction. Ecological Applications 19:817–828. , , , , and .
- 2009. Beneficial biofuels—the food, energy, and environment trilemma. Science 325:270–271. , et al.
- 2010. Analysis of the carbon sequestration costs of afforestation and reforestation agroforestry practices and the use of cost curves to evaluate their potential for implementation of climate change mitigation. Ecological Economics 69:469–477. , , , , and .
- 2009. Tree and forest measurement. Springer-Verlag, Berlin .
- 2004. Seed dispersal to revegetated isolated rainforest patches in North Queensland. Forest Ecology and Management 192:409–426. , , , and .
- 1993. Dispersal mode, seed shadows and colonisation patterns. Pages 261–280 in T. H. Fleming and A. Estrada, editors. Frugivory and seed dispersal: Ecological and evolutionary aspects. Kluwer, Belgium .
- 2001. Response of mean annual evapotranspiration to vegetation changes at catchment scale. Water Resources Research 37:701–708. , , and .