Achieving Coherent Policies for Conservation and Sustainable Use of Marine Ecosystems
Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2011
©2011 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 25, Issue 6, pages 1065–1068, December 2011
How to Cite
Rice, J. C. (2011), Achieving Coherent Policies for Conservation and Sustainable Use of Marine Ecosystems. Conservation Biology, 25: 1065–1068. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2011.01757.x
- Issue online: 9 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2011
- 1996. Patterns in the oceans: ocean processes and marine population dynamics. California Sea Grant College System and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, La Jolla, California, in cooperation with Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas del Noroeste, La Paz, Mexico.
- 2009. How does abundance scale with body size in coupled size-structured food webs? Journal of Animal Ecology 78:270–280. , , , , , , and .
- Canadian Species at Risk Act. 2002. S.C. 2002, c. 29. Available from http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/S-15.3/page-1.html.
- 2010. Scientific support to the European commission on the marine strategy framework directive—European Union and ICES. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg . , et al.
- CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity). 2008. COP 9 Decision IX/20: marine and coastal biodiversity. CBD, Montreal . Available from http://www.cbd.int/decision/cop/?id=11663 (accessed April 2011).
- CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity). 2010a. COP 10 Decision X/29: marine and coastal biodiversity. CBD, Montreal . Available from http://www.cbd.int/decision/cop/?id=12295 (accessed April 2011).
- CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity). 2010b. The strategic plan for biodiversity 2011–2020 and the Aichi biodiversity targets. CBD, Montreal . Available from http://www.cms.int/about/nbsap/cbd_cop10_decision.pdf (accessed April 2011).
- 2008. The importance of marine spatial planning in advancing ecosystem-based sea use management. Marine Policy 32:762–771.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization). 2003. The ecosystem approach to fisheries. Technical guidelines for responsible fisheries, number 4, supplement 2. FAO, Rome .
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization). 2008. International guidelines for the management of deep-sea fisheries in the high seas. Fisheries report 888. FAO, Rome .
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization). 2010. Report of the technical consultation to develop international guidelines on bycatch management and reduction of discards. Fisheries and aquaculture report 957. FAO, Rome .
- 2011. Food web framework for size-structured populations. Journal of Theoretical Biology 272:113–122. , , and .
- ICES (International Council for the Exploration of the Sea). 2005. NEAFC and OSPAR request on seamounts and vulnerable habitats. Advisory report 2005, book 5. ICES, Copenhagen . Available from http://www.ices.dk/products/icesadvice/2005/ICES%20Advice%202006%20Book%205.pdf (accessed April 2011).
- IMO (International Maritime Organization). 2004. International convention for the control and management of ships’ ballast water and sediments. IMO, London . Available from xhttp://www.imo.org/About/Conventions/ListOfConventions/Pages/International-Convention-for-the-Control-and-Management-of-Ships'-Ballast-Water-and-Sediments-(BWM).asp (accessed April 2011).
- IMO (International Maritime Organization). 2006. Revised guidelines for the identification and designation of particularly sensitive sea areas (PSSAs) (resolution A.982(24)). IMO, London . Available from http://www.gc.noaa.gov/documents/982-1.pdf (accessed April 2011).
- Intergovernmental Ocean Policy Task Force. 2009. Interim framework for effective coastal marine spatial planning. White House Council on Environmental Quality, Washington , DC . Available from http://www.whitehouse/gov/sites/default/files/microsites/091209-Interim-CMSP-Framework-Task-Force.pdf (accessed April 2011).
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature)-World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA). 2008. Establishing marine protected area networks—making it happen. IUCN-WCPA, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and The Nature Conservancy, Washington , DC .
- 2009. Biodiversity and fisheries management. Pages 139–149 in Q. Grafton, R. Hilborn, and M. Williams, editors. Handboook of fisheries. Oxford University Press, Oxford , United Kingdom . , and .
- UNEP/UNESCO-IOC (United Nations Environment Programme/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization-Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission). 2009. An assessment of assessments: findings of the Group of Experts. UNEP/UNESCO-IOC, Paris . Available from http://www.unga-regular-process.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=20 (accessed April 2011).