Special Section Essay
Conservation Means Behavior
Article first published online: 9 NOV 2011
©2011 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 25, Issue 6, pages 1080–1083, December 2011
How to Cite
SCHULTZ, P. W. (2011), Conservation Means Behavior. Conservation Biology, 25: 1080–1083. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2011.01766.x
- Issue published online: 9 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 9 NOV 2011
- 2006. Fusion or failure? The future of conservation biology. Conservation Biology 20:692–695. , and .
- 2003. Crafting normative messages to protect the environment. Current Directions in Psychological Science 12:105–109. Direct Link:
- 2006. Managing social norms for persuasive impact. Social Influence 1:3–15. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Conservation psychology: understanding and promoting human care for nature. Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken , New Jersey . , and
- 1986. Energy conservation behavior: the difficult path from information to action. American Psychologist 41:521–528. , , , and .
- 2005. Maintaining the research-implementation continuum in conservation. Society for Conservation Biology Newsletter 12:19.
- 2008. Weathercocks and signposts: the environment movement at a crossroads. World Wildlife Fund, Godalming , United Kingdom . Available from http://wwf.org.uk/strategiesforchange (accessed May 2011).
- 2009. Household actions can provide a behavioral wedge to rapidly reduce U.S. carbon emissions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106:18452–18456. Available from http://behavioralwedge.msu.edu/documents/behavioral_wedge_paper.pdf (accessed May 2011). , , , , and .
- 2005. Millennium assessment of human behavior. Science 309:562–563. , and .
- 2009. The information-motivation-behavioral skills model of HIV preventive behavior. Pages 21–65 in R. DeClemente, R. Crosby, and M. Kegler, editors. Emerging theories in health promotion practice and research. Wiley & Sons, San Francisco . , , and .
- 2008. Temporal pessimism and spatial optimism in environmental assessments: an 18-nation study. Journal of Environmental Psychology 29:1–12. , et al.
- 2010. Connectedness to nature, place attachment and conservation behaviour: Testing connectedness theory among farmers. Journal of Environmental Psychology 30:298–304. , and .
- 2011. The role of social norms in understanding and changing pro-environmental behaviour. In press in L. Steg, A. van den Berg, and J. de Groot, editors. Environmental psychology. Wiley-Blackwell, Malden , Massachusetts . , and .
- 2008. The spreading of disorder. Science 322:1681–1685. , , and .
- 2005. Do global attitudes and behaviors support sustainable development? Environment 47:22–38. , , and .
- 2003. Conservation and the social sciences. Conservation Biology 17:649–650. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. The connectedness to nature scale: a measure of individuals’ feeling in community with nature. Journal of Environmental Psychology 24:503–515. , and .
- 2011. Fostering sustainable behavior. 3rd edition. New Society Publishers, Gabriola Island , British Columbia .
- 2012. Social marketing to protect the environment: what works. Sage, Thousand Oaks , California . , , , and .
- 2002. Public leans toward conservation approach to environmental policy. Gallup Poll Monthly (March) 438:35–38.
- 2002. Place prioritization for biodiversity content. Journal of Biosciences 27:339–346. , , , , and .
- 2003. The emerging field of conservation psychology. Human Ecology Review 10:137–149.
- 2001. Assessing the structure of environmental concern: concern for self, other people, and the biosphere. Journal of Environmental Psychology 21:1–13.
- 2002a. Knowledge, education, and household recycling: examining the knowledge-deficit model of behavior change. Pages 67–82 in T. Dietz and P. Stern, editors. New tools for environmental protection. National Academy of Sciences, Washington , D.C .
- 2002b. Inclusion with nature: understanding the psychology of human-nature interactions. Pages 61–78 in P. Schmuck and P. W. Schultz, editors. The psychology of sustainable development. Kluwer, New York .
- 2010. Making energy conservation the norm. Pages 17-1–17-12 in K. Ehrhardt-Martinez and J. Laitner, editors. People-centered initiatives for increasing energy savings. American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy, Washington , D.C . Available from http://www.aceee.org/people-centered-energy-savings (accessed May 2011).
- 2012. Promoting proenvironmental behavior. In press in S. Clayton, editor. Handbook of environmental and conservation psychology. Oxford University Press, Oxford , United Kingdom . , and .
- 2000. Toward a coherent theory of environmentally significant behavior. Journal of Social Issues 56:407–424.
- 2000. The psycho-spatial dimension of global environmental problems. Journal of Environmental Psychology 20:307–318.