Special Section Essay
Conservation in Sustainable-Use Tropical Forest Reserves
Article first published online: 9 NOV 2011
©2011 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 25, Issue 6, pages 1124–1129, December 2011
How to Cite
PERES, C. A. (2011), Conservation in Sustainable-Use Tropical Forest Reserves. Conservation Biology, 25: 1124–1129. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2011.01770.x
- Issue published online: 9 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 9 NOV 2011
- 2005. Increasing isolation of protected areas in tropical forests over the past twenty years. Ecological Applications 15:19–26 , , , and .
- 2005. Hunting vulnerability, ecological characteristics and harvest rates of bushmeat species in Afrotropical forests. Biological Conservation 121:167–176. , , and .
- 2008. The ecological performance of protected areas. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 39:93–113. , , , and .
- IBGE (Instituto Brasileiro de Geograﬁa e Estatística). 2010. Censo demográﬁco. IBGE, Rio de Janeiro. Available from http://www.ibge.gov.br (accessed March 2011).
- IMAZON (Instituto do Homem e Meio Ambiente da Amazônia). 2011. Áreas protegidas na Amazônia Brasileira: avanços e desafios. IMAZON and Instituto Socioambiental, São Paulo .
- Instituto Socioambiental. 2011. Povos Indigenas do Brasil . Instituto Socioambiental, Brasilia, DF. Available from http://www.socioambiental.org/. (accessed June 2010).
- 2003. Bringing home the biggest bacon: a cross-site analysis of the structure of hunter-kill profiles in neotropical forests. Biological Conservation 111:415–425. , and .
- 2008. On the protection of “protected areas.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Scinces 105:6673–6678. , , and .
- MMA (Ministério do Meio Ambiente). 2000. Sistema nacional de unidades de conservação (SNUC). MMA, Brasília .
- 2004. Who conserves the world's forests? Forest Trends, Washington , D.C. , , and .
- 2006. Coral reefs and the global network of marine protected areas. Science 312:1750–1751. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Inhibition of Amazon deforestation and fire by parks and indigenous lands. Conservation Biology 20:65–73. , et al.
- 2005. Conservation units: a new deforestation frontier in the Amazonian state of Rondônia, Brazil. Environmental Conservation 32:149–155. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Detecting anthropogenic disturbance in tropical forests. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:227–229. , , and .
- 2003. Extent of nontimber resource extraction in tropical forests: accessibility to game vertebrates by hunters in the Amazon basin. Conservation Biology 17:521–535. , and .
- 2007. Basin-wide effects of game harvest on vertebrate population densities in Amazonian forests: implications for animal-mediated seed dispersal. Biotropica 39:304–315. , and .
- 1995. Amazonian nature reserves: an analysis of the defensibility status of existing conservation units and design criteria for the future. Conservation Biology 9:34–46. , and .
- 2000. Carrying capacity limits to sustainable hunting in tropical forests. Pages 13–30 in J. G. Robinson and E. L. Bennett, editors. Hunting for sustainability in tropical forests. Columbia University Press, New York . , and .
- 2010. Role of Brazilian Amazon protected areas in climate change mitigation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107:10821–10826. , et al.
- WCMC (World Conservation Monitoring Centre). 2011. The world database on protected areas. UNEP-WCMC, Cambridge, United Kingdom. Available from http://www.wdpa.org (accessed March 2011).
- 2008. Accelerated human population growth at protected area edges. Science 321:123–126. , , , , , and .