Special Section Essay
Marine Protected Areas and the Governance of Marine Ecosystems and Fisheries
Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2011
©2011 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 25, Issue 6, pages 1130–1133, December 2011
How to Cite
McCAY, B. J. and JONES, P. J. S. (2011), Marine Protected Areas and the Governance of Marine Ecosystems and Fisheries. Conservation Biology, 25: 1130–1133. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2011.01771.x
- Issue online: 9 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2011
- 2003. Dangerous targets? Unresolved issues and ideological clashes around marine protected areas. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 13:353–367. , et al.
- 2011. Mind the gap: addressing the shortcomings of marine protected areas through large scale marine spatial planning. Marine Policy 35:226–232. , , and .
- 2011. Contrasting global trends in marine fishery status obtained from catches and from stock assessments. Conservation Biology DOI: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2011.01687.x. , , , , and .
- 2007. Local conservation practice and global discourse: a political ecology of sea turtle conservation. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 97:313–334.
- 2003. Toward developing a complete understanding: a social science research agenda for marine protected areas. Fisheries 28:22–26. , et al.
- 2009. Back to basics: an empirical study demonstrating the importance of local-level dynamics for the success of tropical marine ecosystem-based management. Coastal Management 37:349–373. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Lack of cross-scale linkages reduces robustness of community-based fishery management. Public Library of Science ONE DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0006253. , and .
- 2002. Zoning—lessons from the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. Ocean & Coastal Management 45:139–156.
- 2011. Great Barrier Reef Marine Park: governance analysis. Pages 1–18 in P. J. S. Jones, W. Qiu, and E. M. De Santo, editors. Governing marine protected areas: getting the balance right. Volume 2. Technical report. Marine & Coastal Ecosystems Branch, United Nations Environment Programme, Nairobi .
- 2005. More than one bag for the world fishery crisis and keys for co-management successes in selected artisanal Latin American shellfisheries. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 15:265–283. , and .
- Ecosystem Marketplace. 2010. Tools for the tides: exploring coastal and marine markets. Forest Trends, Washington , D.C.
- Forest Trends and The Katoomba Group. 2010. Payments for ecosystem services—getting started in marine and coastal ecosystems: a primer. Forest Trends, Washington , D.C.
- 2008. Planning marine protected areas in a human-dominated seascape. Marine Ecology Progress Series 375:13–24. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Leadership, social capital and incentives promote successful fisheries. Nature 470:386–389. , , and .
- 2010. Placing marine protected areas onto the ecosystem-based management seascape. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107:18312–18317. , , and .
- 2001. Marine protected area strategies: issues, divergences and the search for middle ground. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 11:197–216.
- 2006. Collective action problems posed by no-take zones. Marine Policy 30:143–156.
- 2007. Point of view - Arguments for conventional fisheries management and against no-take marine protected areas: Only half of the story? Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 17:31–43.
- 2011. Governing marine protected areas: getting the balance right. Technical report. United Nations Environment Programme , Nairobi . , , and .
- 2011. Complementarity of no-take marine reserves and individual transferable catch quotas for managing the line fishery of the Great Barrier Reef. Conservation Biology 25:333–340. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Dealing with interests displaced by marine protected areas: a case study on the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Structural Adjustment Package. Ocean & Coastal Management 53:581–588. , , and .
- 2010. Governance characteristics of large marine ecosystems. Marine Policy 34:919–927. , , , and .
- 2000. Irreducible uncertainties, sustainable fisheries and marine reserves. Evolutionary Ecology Research 2:547–557.
- 2010. Impacts of marine protected areas on fishing communities. Conservation Biology 24:1424–1429. , , and .
- 1996. From the bottom up: participatory issues in fisheries management. Society and Natural Resources 9:237–250. , and .
- 2010. Adaptive management of the Great Barrier Reef: a globally significant demonstration of the benefits of networks of marine reserves. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107:18278–18285. , et al.
- 1999. Eutrophication, fisheries, and consumer-resource dynamics in marine pelagic ecosystems. Science 285:1396–1398.
- 2008. Navigating the transition to ecosystem-based management of the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 105:9489–9494. , , and .
- 2004. Ecosystem-based fishery management. Science 306:1891–1892. , et al.
- 2009. Co-responsabilidad y participación en el manejo de pesquerías en México: lecciones de Baja California Sur. Pesca y Conservación 1:1–9. , , and .
- 2011. Managing fisheries well: delivering the promises of an ecosystem approach. Fish and Fisheries 12:206–231.
- 2009. The oceans as peopled seascapes. Pages 33–54 in K. L. McLeod and H. M. Leslie, editors. Ecosystem-based management for the oceans. Island Press, Washington , D.C. , , and .
- 2011. Linking top-down and bottom-up processes through the new U.S. National Ocean Policy. Conservation Letters DOI: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2011.00178.x:1-6. , , , , , and .
- 2002. History and application of the wilderness concept in marine conservation. Conservation Biology 16:294–305.
- 2009. The paradoxes of transparency: science and the ecosystem approach to fisheries management in Europe. Amsterdam University Press, Amsterdam .
- 2003. The fisheries co-management experience: accomplishments, challenges and prospects. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht , The Netherlands . , , and , editors.
- 2002. Scientific uncertainty, complex systems, and the design of common-pool institutions. Pages 327–359 in E. Ostrom, T. Dietz, N. Dolsak, P. C. Stern, S. Stonich, and E. U. Weber, editors. The drama of the commons. National Academy Press, Washington , D.C.
- 2009. Rebuilding global fisheries. Science 325:578–585. , et al.