Special Section Essay
Systemic Conservation, REDD, and the Future of the Amazon Basin
Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2011
©2011 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 25, Issue 6, pages 1113–1116, December 2011
How to Cite
NEPSTAD, D. C., McGRATH, D. G. and SOARES-FILHO, B. (2011), Systemic Conservation, REDD, and the Future of the Amazon Basin. Conservation Biology, 25: 1113–1116. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2011.01784.x
- Issue online: 9 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2011
- Aliança da Terra. 2011. Home page. Aliança da Terra, Goiania , Goias , Brazil . Available from http://www.aliancadaterra.org.br (accessed July 2011).
- 2011. World on the edge: how to prevent environmental and economic collapse. W. W. Norton, New York .
- 2011. Resource status in small-scale fisheries in the lower Amazon. Fisheries Research 110:356–364. , , and .
- 2011. Time to wake up: days of abundant resources and falling prices are over forever. GMO Quarterly 19. Available from http://www.gmo.com (accessed September 15, 2011).
- 2011. The 2010 Amazon drought. Science 331:554–554. , , , , and .
- 2008. The drought of Amazonia in 2005. Journal of Climate 21:495–516. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Constructing a policy and institutional framework for an ecosystem-based approach to managing the Lower Amazon floodplain. Environment, Development and Sustainability 10:677–695. , , , and .
- 2004. The economic costs of the use of fire in the Amazon. Ecological Economics 49:89–105. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Balancing conservation and economic sustainability: the future of the Amazon timber industry. Environmental Management 44:395–407. , , , , and .
- 2004. The role of deep roots in the hydrologic and carbon cycles of Amazonian forests and pastures. Nature 372:666–669. , et al.
- 2009. The end of deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon. Science 326:1350–1351. , et al.
- 2006a. Globalization of the Amazon soy and beef industries: opportunities for conservation. Conservation Biology 20:1595–1603. , , and .
- 2008. Interactions among Amazon land use, forests and climate: prospects for a near-term forest tipping point. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 363:1737–1746. , , , and .
- 2007. Mercury pollution and childhood in Amazon riverside villages. Environment International 33:56–61. , et al.
- 2002. Cloud and rain processes in a biosphere-atmosphere interaction context in the Amazon region. Journal of Geophysical Research 107:D20, 8072. , , , , and .
- 2011. Simulating fire regimes in the Amazon in response to climate change and deforestation. Ecological Applications 21:1573–1590. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Role of Brazilian Amazon protected areas in climate change mitigation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 107:10821–10826. , et al.
- 2006. Modelling conservation in the Amazon basin. Nature 440:520–523. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. The economic and ecological trade-offs of alternative land-use policies on private lands along the Amazon's agro-industrial frontier. PhD dissertation. University of Florida , Gainesville .