Special Section Essay
Future Human Intervention in Ecosystems and the Critical Role for Evolutionary Biology
Article first published online: 9 NOV 2011
©2011 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 25, Issue 6, pages 1143–1147, December 2011
How to Cite
HELLMANN, J. J. and PFRENDER, M. E. (2011), Future Human Intervention in Ecosystems and the Critical Role for Evolutionary Biology. Conservation Biology, 25: 1143–1147. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2011.01786.x
- Issue published online: 9 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 9 NOV 2011
- 2004. Channing Cope and the making of a miracle vine. Geographical Review 94:157–177.
- 2000. Phylogeography: the history and formation of species. Harvard University Press, Cambridge , Massachusetts .
- 2009. From genes to ecosystems: a synthesis of the effects of plant genetic factors across levels of organization. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Series B 364:1607–1616. , et al.
- 1995. Evolution and extinction in a changing environment: a quantitative-genetic analysis. Evolution 49:151–163. , and .
- 2010. The next generation of molecular markers from massively parallel sequencing of pooled DNA samples. Genetics 186:207–218. , and .
- 1995. When does evolution by natural selection prevent extinction? Evolution 49:201–207. , and .
- 2000. Inbreeding depression in conservation biology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31:139–162. , and .
- 2007. Constraints and reinforcement on adaptation under climate change: selection of genetically correlated traits. Biological Conservation 137:599–609. , and .
- 2003. Adaptation of Drosophila to temperature extremes: bringing together quantitative and molecular approaches. Journal of Thermal Biology 28:175–216. , , and .
- 2010. Population genomics of parallel adaptation in threespine stickleback using sequenced RAD tags. Public Library of Science Genetics 6: e1000862. , , , , , and .
- 1987. Effective population size, genetic variation, and their use in population management. Pages 87–123 in M. E. Soulé, editor. Viable populations for conservation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge . , and .
- 2006. Biological control of invasive species: solution or pollution? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 4:132–140. , and .
- 1996. Prima facie moral culpability. Boston University Law Review 76:319–333.
- 1994. Defining “evolutionary significant units” for conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 9:373–375.
- 1985. Genetic basis for species vulnerability in the cheetah. Science 227:1428–1434. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Eco-Evolutionary feedbacks in community and ecosystem ecology: interactions between the ecological theatre and the evolutionary play. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Series B 364:1629–1640. , and .
- 2011. Interacting effects of phenotypic plasticity and evolution on population persistence in a changing climate. Conservation Biology 25:56–63. , , and .
- 2009. Multidimensional evaluation of managed relocation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106:9721–9724. , et al.
- 2009. The precautionary principle in managed relocation is misguided advice. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24:474. , , and .
- 2006. Neutral and adaptive variation in gene expression. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103:5425–5430. , and .
- 2006. A framework for community and ecosystem genetics: from genes to ecosystems. Nature Reviews Genetics 7:510–523. , et al.