Conservation Practice and Policy
Accelerating Adaptation of Natural Resource Management to Address Climate Change
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2012
© 2012 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 4–13, February 2013
How to Cite
Cross, M. S., McCarthy, P. D., Garfin, G., Gori, D. and Enquist, C. A.F. (2013), Accelerating Adaptation of Natural Resource Management to Address Climate Change. Conservation Biology, 27: 4–13. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2012.01954.x
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 SEP 2011
- 2012. The Adaptation for Conservation Targets (ACT) framework: a tool for incorporating climate change into natural resource management. Environmental Management 30:341–351. , et al.
- 2010. Bear River climate change adaptation workshop summary. Southwest Climate Change Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Salt Lake City, Utah. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Jemez Mountains climate change adaptation workshop: process, outcomes and next steps. Southwest Climate Change Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Santa Fe, New Mexico. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. A climate change vulnerability assessment for biodiversity in New Mexico, part 2: conservation implications of emerging moisture stress due to recent climate changes in the southwestern United States. The Nature Conservancy, Santa Fe, New Mexico. , , and .
- 2010. Expanding the scope and impact of collaborative planning. Journal of the American Planning Association 76:238–249. , and .
- Halofsky, J. E., D. L. Peterson, K. A. O'Halloran, and C. Hawkins-Hoffman, editors. 2011. Adapting to climate change at Olympic National Forest and Olympic National Park. General technical report PNW-GTR-844. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Portland, Oregon.
- 2006. The inclusion of stakeholder knowledge and perspectives in integrated assessment of climate change. Climatic Change 75:359–389. , and .
- 2010. Resource management in a changing and uncertain climate. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 8:35–43. , et al.
- 2005. The co-production of science and policy in integrated climate assessments. Global Environmental Change 15:57–68. , and .
- 2009. A formal framework for scenario development in support of environmental decision-making. Environmental Modelling & Software 24:798–808. , et al.
- 2006. Ecoregion-based conservation assessments of the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico: a geodatabase for six ecoregions, including the Apache Highlands, Arizona-New Mexico Mountains, Colorado Plateau, Mojave Desert, Sonoran Desert, and Southern Rocky Mountains. The Nature Conservancy, Tucson, Arizona. , , and .
- 2012. Climate change adaptation for people and nature: a case study from the U.S. Southwest. Advances in Climate Change Research 3:22–37.
- 2008. Mitigating climate change in the American Southwest. Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union 89:3. , , and .
- National Research Council. 2010. America's climate choices: adapting to the impacts of climate change. National Academies Press, Washington, DC.
- 2010. Climate change adaptation workshop for natural resource managers in the Gunnison Basin: summary. Southwest Climate Change Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Boulder, Colorado. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Redesigning biodiversity conservation projects for climate change: examples from the field. Biological Conservation 20:185–201. DOI 10.1007/s10531-010-9954-2. , , , and .
- 2010. Managing changing landscapes in the southwestern United States. Southwest Climate Change Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Tucson, Arizona. , and .
- 2007. Model projections of an imminent transition to a more arid climate in southwestern North America. Science 316:1181–1184. DOI:10.1126/science.1139601. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. The Four Forest Restoration Initiative: implementing a climate change adaptation framework for natural resource management and planning. Southwest Climate Change Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Flagstaff, Arizona. , , , , , , and .
- Solomon, S., D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K. B. Averyt, M. Tignor, and H. L. Miller, editors. 2007. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- TNC (The Nature Conservancy). 2009. Conservation action planning guidelines for developing strategies in the face of climate change. TNC, Arlington, Virginia. Available from http://conserveonline. org/workspaces/climateadaptation/documents/climate-change- project-level-guidance/documents/climate-change-cap-guidance- october-2009 (accessed May 2012).
- Willows, R. I., and R. K. Connell, editors. 2003. Climate adaptation: risk, uncertainty and decision-making. United Kingdom Climate Impacts Programme technical report. United Kingdom Climate Impacts Program, Oxford.