All authors are members of the Maternity Experiences Study Group of the Canadian Perinatal Surveillance System, Public Health Agency of Canada (http://www.publichealth.gc.ca/mes).
Use of Routine Interventions in Vaginal Labor and Birth: Findings from the Maternity Experiences Survey
Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2009
© 2009, Copyright the Authors Journal compilation © 2009, Wiley Periodicals, Inc
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 13–25, March 2009
How to Cite
Chalmers, B., Kaczorowski, J., Levitt, C., Dzakpasu, S., O’Brien, B., Lee, L., Boscoe, M., Young, D., Maternity Experiences Study Group of the Canadian Perinatal Surveillance System and Public Health Agency of Canada (2009), Use of Routine Interventions in Vaginal Labor and Birth: Findings from the Maternity Experiences Survey. Birth, 36: 13–25. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-536X.2008.00291.x
- Issue online: 3 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2009
- Accepted September 29, 2008
- 1The Cochrane Collaboration. Accessed September 10, 2008. Available at: http://www.cochrane.org.
- 2The Society for Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Clinical Guidelines. Accessed September 10, 2008. Available at: http://www.sogc.org/guidelines/index_e.asp.
- 3Health Canada. Family-Centred Maternity and Newborn Care: National Guidelines. Ottawa, Canada: Minister of Public Works and Government Services, 2000.
- 4Department of Reproductive Health and Research, World Health Organization. Integrated Management of Pregnancy and Childbirth: Managing Complications in Pregnancy and Childbirth: A Guide for Midwives and Doctors. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 2000.
- 5Continuous electronic heart rate monitoring for fetal assessment during labour. In: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006; Issue 3. Chichester, U.K.: John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2006. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD000063.pub2., , .
- 7Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Healthy Beginnings: Guidelines for Care during Pregnancy and Childbirth. Number 71, Ottawa, Canada: Federal Publications Inc., 1998.
- 8WHO Principles of Perinatal Care: The Essential Antenatal, Perinatal and Postpartum Care Course Manual. Copenhagen, Denmark: WHO Regional Office for Europe, 1998., , , et al.
- 14Routine perineal shaving on admission in labour. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000;(4):CD001236. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD001236., .
- 15Effects of high volume saline enemas vs. no enema during labour—The N-Ma randomized controlled trial [ISRCTN43153145]. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2006;19:6–8., , .
- 17Vacuum extraction versus forceps for assisted vaginal delivery. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 1999: Issue 2. Chichester, U.K.: John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2006. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD000224., .
- 19Position in the second stage of labour for women without epidural anaesthesia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2004; Issue 1 doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD002006.pub2., , .
- 20A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth. 3rd ed. Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press, 2000., , , et al.
- 21The maternity experiences survey: Methodology. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2008;30:207–216., , , et al.
- 22PRAMS 1999 Surveillance Report. Atlanta, Georgia: Division of Reproductive Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2003., , , et al.
- 23Listening to Mothers: Report of the First National U.S. Survey of Women’s Childbearing Experiences. New York: Maternity Center Association, 2002., , , et al.
- 24Great Expectations: A Prospective Study of Women’s Expectations and Experiences of Childbirth. Second ed. Hale, U.K.: Books for Midwives Press, 1998., , .
- 25First Class Delivery: A National Survey of Women’s Views of Maternity Care. London, U.K.: Audit Commission, 1998., , , .
- 26Scottish Programme for Clinical Effectiveness in Reproductive Health. Maternity Care Matters: An Audit of Maternity Services in Scotland 1998. Aberdeen, Scotland: Douglas Baird Centre for Research on Women’s Health, 1999.
- 27Survey of Recent Mothers: Women’s Views and Experiences of Maternity Care. Melbourne, Australia: Centre for the Study of Mothers’ and Children’s Health, 1997., .
- 29Public Health Agency of Canada. Maternity Experiences Survey, 2006. Questionnaire. Accessed September 29, 2008. Available at http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/rhs-ssg/pdf/question07_e.pdf.
- 31SAS Institute Inc. SAS Software Release 8.2. Cary, North Carolina, 1999–2001.
- 32Public Health Agency of Canada. What Women Say: The Canadian Maternity Experiences Survey. Ottawa, Canada: Minister of Public Works and Government Services, In Press.
- 33Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Fetal health surveillance in labour. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2007;29(9 Suppl. 4.):S1–S56.
- 34Public Health Agency of Canada. Perinatal Health Report. Public Health Agency of Canada Report: 2008 Edition. Ottawa, Canada: Minister of Public Works and Government Services, 2008.