- Top of page
- Background of the Trial
- Results: Adverse Outcomes
- Protocol Violations
- Quality Control Issues
- Bizarre Prediction
- Premature Cessation of the Term Breech Trial?
- Other Studies on Breech Births
- The Healthy Term Breech Baby?
- Response to Critics
- The Inevitable Persistence of Vaginal Breech Deliveries
- The Future
Abstract: In 2000, the Term Breech Trial was published, and its authors recommended cesarean section as the safest mode of delivery for breech-presenting babies. Criticisms of the trial were raised at the time, which the authors dismissed. Since then, maternal deaths have been recorded among women undergoing cesarean sections for breech presentations. Accordingly, those initial criticisms deserve to be revisited. (BIRTH 39:1 March 2012)