The Clinical and Economic Burden of Nonadherence with Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Therapy in Hypertensive Patients
Article first published online: 9 SEP 2008
© 2008, International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR)
Value in Health
Volume 12, Issue 4, pages 489–497, June 2009
How to Cite
Cherry, S. B., Benner, J. S., Hussein, M. A., Tang, S. S. K. and Nichol, M. B. (2009), The Clinical and Economic Burden of Nonadherence with Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Therapy in Hypertensive Patients. Value in Health, 12: 489–497. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4733.2008.00447.x
- Issue published online: 28 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 9 SEP 2008
- 5Prevention of coronary and stroke events with atorvastatin in hypertensive patients who have average of lower-than-average cholesterol concentrations, in the Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial–Lipid-Lowering Arm (ASCOT–LLA): a multicentre randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2003;161:1149–58., , , et al.
- 7Economics of lipid lowering in primary prevention: lessons from the West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study. Am J Cardiol 2001;87:19–22B.
- 11Cost-effectiveness of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors in the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease: forecasting the incremental benefits of preventing coronary and cerebrovascular events. Arch Intern Med 1999;159:593–600., , ,
- 24Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine. New York: Oxford University Press, 1996., , ,
- 29Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. National health and nutrition examination survey data, 2003–2004. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/nhanes/nhanes2003-2004/nhanes03_04.htm[Accessed October 4, 2007.
- 30The North American Menopause Association (NMAS). About menopause, supplement. Available from: http://www.menopause.org/aboutmeno/04A.pdf[Accessed November 12, 2007.
- 31United States Life Tables, 2002. National Vital Statistics Reports. Vol 53, no. 6. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2004.
- 32Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2003. National Vital Statistics Reports. Vol 53, no. 15. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2005., ,
- 37US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Diagnosis related group weights (2005). Available from: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicareFeeforSvcPartsAB/Downloads/DRGdesc05.pdf[Accessed January 4, 2008.
- 38US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Impact file for prospective payment system. Available from: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/HospitalOutpatientPPS/Downloads/CMS1506FC.pdf[Accessed October 4, 2007.
- 39US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. CMS-1428-F(2) published in Federal Register August 11, 2004. Available from: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/AcuteInpatientPPS/Downloads/cms1428f_iv.pdf[Accessed January 20, 2008.
- 40Analysis of Hospital Medical Staff Volume Performance Standards: Technical Report. Washington, DC: The Urban Institute, 1993.,
- 41US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. National physician fee schedule. Available from: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/PhysicianFeeSched/[Accessed January 4, 2008.
- 43Redbook 2006 August Update. Montvale, NJ: Thomson Micromedex, 2006.
- 44US medical care consumer price index, all urban consumers. CUUR0000SAM. Available from: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost?cu[Accessed February 4, 2008.
- 45Prevention of cardiovascular events with an antihypertensive regimen of amlodipine adding perindopril as required versus atenolol adding bendroflumethiazide as required, in the Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial–Blood Pressure Lowering Arm (ASCOT–BPLA): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2005;366:895–906., , , et al.