Improving Patient Compliance: A Major Goal in the Management of Hypertension
Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2007
The Journal of Clinical Hypertension
Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 127–132, March/April 2003
How to Cite
Neutel, J. M. and Smith, D. H.G. (2003), Improving Patient Compliance: A Major Goal in the Management of Hypertension. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 5: 127–132. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-6175.2003.00495.x
- Issue online: 21 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2007
- Manuscript received November 27, 2001; revised March 20, 2002; accepted April 1, 2002
- 1Effects of intensive blood pressure lowering and low-dose aspirin in patients with hypertension: principal results of the Hypertension Optimal Treatment (HOT) randomized trial. Hot Study Group. Lancet. 1998;351:1755–1762., , , et al.
- 2UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). Lancet. 1998;352(9131):837–853.
- 3Trends in the prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in the US population from the Health Examination Surveys. 1960 to 1991. Hypertension. 1995;26:60–69., , .
- 4Hypertension awareness, treatment and control in the community: is the ‘role of halves’ still valid? J Hum Hypertens. 1997;11(4):213–220., .
- 5The sixth report of the Joint National Committee on prevention, detection, evaluation and treatment of high blood pressure. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157:2413–1446.
- 6Blood pressure, stroke and coronary heart disease. Part I: prolonged differences in blood pressure: prospective observational studies corrected for the regression delusional bias. Lancet. 1990;335:765–774., , , et al.
- 7Flack JM, Neaton J, Grimm R Jr. Blood pressure and mortality among men with prior myocardial infarction. Multiple Risk Faction Intervention Trial Research Group. Circulation. 1995;92:2437–2445.
- 8The costs of interrupting antihypertensive therapy in a Medicaid population. Med Care. 1994;32:214–226., , , et al.
- 9Changes in antihypertensive therapy-the role of adverse effects and compliance. Blood Press. 1998;7;313–315., , , et al.
- 10Discontinuation of and changes in treatment after start of new courses of antihypertensive drugs: a study of a United Kingdom Population. BMJ. 1995;311:293–295., , , et al.
- 11Taylor Nelson Healthcare. Epson Survey. England Copyright Cardiomonitor, 1992.
- 12Clarify the message, improve outcome in the management of hypertension. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2000; 2:71–76..
- 13Effects of beta-blockers and other antihypertensive drugs on cardiovascular risk. Am J Cardiol. 1987;59:1F..
- 14Continuation of initial antihypertensive therapy after one year of therapy. Clin Ther. 1998;20(4):671–681..
- 15Physician adherence in the management of hypertension. Drug Therapy. 1978;3:22–30..
- 16Combination therapy with diuretic: an evolution of understanding. Am J Med. 1996;101(3A):61S–70S., , .
- 17Metabolic manifestations of low-dose diuretics. Am J Med. 1996;101(3A):71S–82S..
- 18Valsartan alone or with a diuretic or ACE inhibitor as treatment for African American hypertensives: relation to salt intake. Am J Hypertens. 2001;14(7):665–671., , , et al.
- 19Low-dose combination therapy as first-line treatment of mild-to-moderate hypertension: the efficacy and safety of bisoprolol/HCTZ versus amlodipine, enalapril, and placebo. Cardiovasc Rev Rep. 1996;71(11):1–9., , , et al.
- 20Treatment of patients with essential hypertension: amlodipine 5mg/Benazepril 20mg compared with amlodipine 20mg and placebo. Clin Ther. 1996;18:6–12., , .
- 21Effects of verapamil and trandolapril in the management of hypertension. Trandolapril Study Group. Am J Hypertens. 1998;11(3 pt 1):322–327., , .
- 22A multifactorial trial design to assess combination therapy in hypertension. Arch Intern Med. 1994;154:1463–1470., , .
- 23Fixed low-dose combination therapy in hypertension-a dose response study of peridopril and indapamide. J Hypertens. 2000;18:317–325., , , et al.
- 24Fixed dose combination antihypertensive drugs. Do they have a role in rational therapy? Drugs. 1994;48(1):16–24..
- 25Comparison of bisoprolol vs. atenolol for systemic hypertension in four population groups (young, old, black and non-black) using ambulatory blood pressure monitoring. Am J Cardiol. 1993;72:41–46., , , et al.
- 26The circadian blood pressure pattern in ambulatory normal subjects. Am J Cardiol. 1984;54:115–119., , , et al.
- 27Circadian validation in the frequency of onset of acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med. 1985;313:1315..
- 28Circadian variation and triggers of onset of acute cardiovascular disease. Circulation. 1989;79:733–743., , .
- 29Does lowering the blood pressure improve the mood? Quality-of-life results from the Hypertension Optimal Treatment (HOT) study. Blood Press. 1997;6(6):357–364., , , et al.
- 30Effect of initial drug choice on persistence with antihypertensive therapy: the importance of actual practice data. CMAJ. 1999;160(1):41–46., , , et al.
- 31The direct costs to the NHS of discontinuing and switching prescriptions for hypertension. J Hum Hypertens. 1998;12:533–537., .
- 32Clinical Management of Hypertension. 6th ed. Caddo , OK : Professional Communications, Inc.; 2002..
- 33The STOP-NIDDM Trial: an international study on the efficacy of an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor to prevent type 2 diabetes in a population with impaired glucose tolerance: rationale, design, and preliminary screening data. Study to Prevent Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Care. 1998;10:1720–1725., , , et al.
- 34Effects of calcium channel blockade in older patients with diabetes and systolic hypertension. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:677–684., , , et al.
- 35Maximizing cardio-renal benefits in the management of hypertension: achieving blood pressure goals. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 1999;1(2):141–147..
- 36Long-term efficacy of a new, fixed, very-low-dose angiotensin-converting enzymeinhibitor/diuretic combination as first line therapy in elderly hypertensive patients. J Hypertens. 2000;18: 327–337., , , et al.
- 37Low-dose combination therapy as first line treatment of mild to moderate hypertension: the efficacy and safety of bisoprolol/HCTZ versus amlodipine, enalapril, and placebo. Cardiovasc Rev Rep. 1996;17(ii):1–9, 171–175., , , et al.