Treatment of Hypertension in African Americans and Latinos: The Effect of JNC VI on Urban Prescribing Practices
Article first published online: 21 MAY 2007
The Journal of Clinical Hypertension
Volume 5, Issue 2, pages 107–112, March/April 2003
How to Cite
Henderson, S. O., Bretsky, P., DeQuattro, V. and Henderson, B. E. (2003), Treatment of Hypertension in African Americans and Latinos: The Effect of JNC VI on Urban Prescribing Practices. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 5: 107–112. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-6175.2003.01486.x
- Issue published online: 21 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 21 MAY 2007
- Manuscript received December 26, 2001; revised May 31, 2002; accepted June 10, 2002
- 1The sixth report of the Joint National Committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157:2413–2445.
- 2The Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program (SHEP) Cooperative Research Group. Rationale and design of a randomized clinical trial of prevention of stroke in isolated systolic hypertension. J Clin Epidemiol. 1988;41:1197–1208.
- 3Comparison of five antihypertensive monotherapies and placebo for change in left ventricular mass in patients receiving nutritional-hygienic therapy in the Treatment of Mild Hypertension Study. Circulation. 1995;1995:698–706., , , et al.
- 4Elevated mortality rates from circulatory disease in African-American men and women of Los Angeles County, California—a possible genetic susceptibility? Am J Med Sci. 2000;320:18–23., , , et al.
- 5Mortality for coronary heart disease and stroke for six ethnic groups in California, 1985–1990. Ann Epidemiol. 1995;5:432–439., , , et al.
- 6Diurnal blood pressure variation and cardiac mass in American blacks and whites and South African blacks. Am J Hypertens. 1992;5:111–116., , , et al.
- 7Divergence of the recent trends in coronary mortality for the four major race-sex groups in the United States. Am J Pub Health. 1988;88:1422–1427., , , et al.
- 8Mortality differences between black and white men in the USA: contribution of income and other risk factors among men screened for the MRFIT. MRFIT Research Group. Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Lancet. 1998;351:934–939., , , et al.
- 9Racial differences in the response to drugs-pointers to genetic differences. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:1393–1395..
- 10Racial profiling in medical research. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:1392–1393..
- 11Epidemiology and prevention of hypertension. Med Clin North Am. 1997;81:1077–1081., .
- 12A multiethnic cohort in Hawaii and Los Angeles: baseline characteristics. Am J Epidemiol. 2000;151:346–357., , , et al.
- 13The management of hypertensive disease in black patients. QJM. 1999;92:187–192., , .
- 14Hypertension and antihypertensive therapy as risk factors for Type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:905–912., , , et al.
- 15Effect of ACE inhibitors in diabetic and non-diabetic chronic renal disease: a systematic overview of randomized placebo-controlled trials. Am J Kidney Dis. 2000;35:695–707., , , et al.
- 16The case for combining angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and calcium-channel blockers. Curr Hypertens Rep. 1999;1:446–453., .
- 17Renal transplantation in black Americans. N Engl J Med. 2000;343:1545–1552., .
- 18Lesser response to angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor therapy in black as compared to white patients with left ventricular dysfunction. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:1351–1357., , , et al.
- 19Race and the response to adrenergic blockade with carvedilol in patients with chronic heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:1358–1365., , , et al.
- 20Effects of an angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor, ramipril, on cardiovascular events in high risk patients. The Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study Investigators. N Engl J Med. 2000;342;145–153. 2., , , et al.
- 21Randomized trial of old and new antihypertensive drugs in elderly patients: cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in the Swedish Trial in Old Patients with Hypertension-2 study. Lancet. 1999;354: 1751–1756., , , et al.
- 22Risk factors and mortality among black, Caucasian and Latina women with acute myocardial infarction. Am Heart J. 1993;126:1312–1319., , , et al.
- 23The Hytrin Community Assessment Trial study: a one-year study of terazosin versus placebo in the treatment of men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia. HYCAT Investigator Group. Urology. 1996;47:159–168., , , et al.
- 24Effects of terazosin therapy on blood pressure in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia concurrently treated with other antihypertensive medications. Urology. 1999;54:81–85., , .
- 25ALLHAT Collaborative Research Group. Major cardiovascular events in hypertensive patients randomized to doxazosin vs. chlorthalidone: the Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial (ALLHAT) JAMA. 2000;283:1967–1975.
- 26Risk factors for cardiovascular and cerebrovascular death among African Americans and Hispanics in Los Angeles, California. Acad Emerg Med. 2001;8:1163–1172., , , et al.
- 27The fifth report of the Joint National Committee on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure (JNC V). Arch Intern Med. 1993;153:154–183.