Optimal Treatment of Hypertension and Cardiovascular Risk Reduction in African Americans: Treatment Approaches for Outpatients
Article first published online: 21 MAY 2007
The Journal of Clinical Hypertension
Volume 5, Issue 1, pages 18–25, Jan/Feb 2003
How to Cite
Wright, J. T. and Douglas, J. (2003), Optimal Treatment of Hypertension and Cardiovascular Risk Reduction in African Americans: Treatment Approaches for Outpatients. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 5: 18–25. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-6175.2003.02180.x
- Issue published online: 21 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 21 MAY 2007
- Manuscript received November 18, 2002; accepted December 4, 2002
- 3American Heart Association. 2002 Heart and Stroke Statistical Update. Dallas , TX : American Heart Association, 2001.
- 5Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Program Cooperative Group. Five-year findings of the Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Program: mortality by race sex and blood pressure level. A further analysis. J Commun Health. 1984;9:314–327.
- 8Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program Cooperative Research Group. Implications of the Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program. Hypertension. 1993;21:335–343.
- 11Merck reports additional subgroup analyses from LIFE study with investigational use of Cozaar. Merck News Release, April 11, 2002.
- 18ALLHAT Officers and Coordinators for the ALLHAT Collaborative Research Group. Major outcomes in highrisk hypertensive patients randomized to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor or calcium channel blocker vs. diuretic: The Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial (ALLHAT). JAMA. 2002;288(23):2981–2997.
- 22The Sixth Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. National Institutes of Health; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; National High Blood Pressure Education Program. NIH Publication No. 98-4080. November 1997.
- 24American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care for patients with diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(Suppl 1):S33–S50.
- 25ACC/AHA guidelines for the evaluation and management of chronic heart failure in the adult. Available at: http:www.acc.orgclinicalguidelinesfailurehfindex.htm. Accessed August 13, 2002., , , et al.