ABSTRACT Objectives: The purpose of this study was to examine which demographic, smoking behavior, and theoretical variables of theory of planned behavior would predict smoking cessation attempts among Korean American men.
Design: This is a longitudinal study and data collection was conducted at baseline and 1-month follow-up.
Sample: At baseline, 118 Korean adult male smokers were recruited into the study and of these, 93 participated at follow-up.
Measures: Study questionnaires consisted of demographic data, smoking behavior, and theoretical variables.
Analysis: A multiple regression analysis was performed to identify correlates of behavioral intentions to quit smoking at baseline and binary logistic regression analysis for predictors of actual quitting behavior at follow-up.
Results: Among smoking behavior variables, past-year quit attempts and average number of cigarettes smoked per day explained 15% of the variance in behavioral intentions to quit smoking ( p<.0001). Two theoretical variables attitudes and perceived family social norms increased the explanatory power by 22% ( p<.0001) with an overall of 37%. Religion and perceived family social norms had about 32% predictive power over actual quitting behavior ( p<.0001).
Conclusions: Any smoking cessation programs planned for Korean American men consider encouraging family members to affirm antismoking messages to this ethnic subgroup.