Received from the VA Outcomes Group (BES, HGW), White River Junction, Vt; and the Center for the Evaluative Clinical Sciences (HGW), Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH.
The Frequency of Pap Smear Screening in the United States
Article first published online: 8 MAR 2004
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 243–250, March 2004
How to Cite
Sirovich, B. E. and Welch, H. G. (2004), The Frequency of Pap Smear Screening in the United States. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 19: 243–250. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.21107.x
- Issue published online: 8 MAR 2004
- Article first published online: 8 MAR 2004
- 1IARC Working Group on Evaluation of Cervical Cancer Screening Programmes. Screening for squamous cervical cancer: duration of low risk after negative results of cervical cytology and its implication for screening policies. Br Med J. 1986;293: 659–64.
- 5American College of Physicians. Guidelines: screening for cervical cancer. In: EddyDM, ed. Common Screening Tests. Philadelphia, Pa: American College of Physicians; 1991: 413–4.
- 7American Cancer Society. Summary of Current Guidelines for the Cancer-Related Checkup: Recommendations. Atlanta, Ga: American Cancer Society; 1988.
- 8U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for cervical cancer. In: Guide to Clinical Preventive Services, 2nd edn. Baltimore, Md: Williams & Wilkins; 1996: 105–18.
- 10Anonymous. ACOG committee opinions. Recommendations on frequency of Pap test screening. Number 152, March 1995 Committee on Gynecologic Practice. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Intl J Gynaecol Obstet. 1995;49:210–1.
- 14Quinn M, Babb P, Jones J, Allen E, on behalf of the United Kingdom Association of Cancer Registries. Effect of screening on incidence of and mortality from cancer of the cervix in England: evaluation based on routinely collected statistics. Br Med J. 1999;318: 904–8.
- 15Have the most recent Pap smear guidelines affected GP practices? Austral Fam Phys. 1996;(suppl 1):44–8., , , .
- 17National Center for Health Statistics. Data File Documentation, National Health Interview Survey, 2000 (machine readable data file and documentation). Hyattsville, Md: National Center for Health Statistics; 2002. Available at: ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Datasets/NHIS//. Accessed October 30, 2002.
- 18National Center for Health Statistics. Survey Description, National Health Interview Survey, 2000. Hyattsville, Md: National Center for Health Statistics; 2002. Available at: ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Dataset_Documentation/NHIS/2000/srvydesc.pdf. Accessed January 21, 2004.
- 21Incidence of Pap test abnormalities within 3 years of a normal Pap test—United States 1991–1998 (Editorial Note) MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000;49:1001–3.
- 22Castleberry BM, Wargelin LL. 1998 Wage and vacancy survey of medical laboratories. Lab Med. 1999;30: 174–8.
- 23Pear R. 1988 Standards for medical labs go unenforced by administration. New York Times. March 20, 1991: 1.
- 41Implementing recommendations for the early detection of breast and cervical cancer among low-income women. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000;49: 36–55., , , .