Received from the Department of Medicine (DWB), Division of General Internal Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Ill; Emory Center on Health Outcomes and Quality (JAG, TS, DG, JR, JP), Rollins School of Public Health, Atlanta, Ga; and Department of Medicine (MVW, RMP), Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Ga.
Health Literacy and Use of Outpatient Physician Services by Medicare Managed Care Enrollees
Version of Record online: 8 MAR 2004
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 215–220, March 2004
How to Cite
Baker, D. W., Gazmararian, J. A., Williams, M. V., Scott, T., Parker, R. M., Green, D., Ren, J. and Peel, J. (2004), Health Literacy and Use of Outpatient Physician Services by Medicare Managed Care Enrollees. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 19: 215–220. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.21130.x
- Issue online: 8 MAR 2004
- Version of Record online: 8 MAR 2004
- 1Adult Literacy in America: A First Look at the Results of the National Adult Literacy Survey. Washington, DC: National Center for Education. U.S. Department of Education; 1993., , , .
- 82002;92:1278–83., , , et al. Functional health literacy and the risk of hospitalization among Medicare managed care enrollees. Am J Public Health.
- 9Development of Indices of Access to Medical Care. Ann Arbor, Mich: Health Administration Press; 1975., .
- 10Access to Health Care in America. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1993.
- 11Access to Health Care: Key Indicators for Policy. Princeton, NJ: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation; 1993.
- 13Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): recent evidence and development of a shorter version. Clin Gerontol. 1986;5: 165–72., .
- 14SF-12: How to Score the SF-12 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales. Boston, Mass: The Health Institute; 1995., , .
- 17Cloze procedure: a new tool for measuring readability. Jism Q. 1953;30: 415–33..
- 22American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine. No Health Insurance? It's Enough to Make You Sick. Philadelphia, Pa: American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine; 2000.
- 27Health literacy and knowledge of chronic disease. Patient Educ Couns. In press., , , .