Received from the Women's Studies Research Center (LP), Brandeis University, Waltham, Mass; University of Massachusetts Medical School (LP), Worcester, Mass; School of Health and Human Performance (SK), East Carolina University, Greenville, NC; and SUNY Upstate Medical University (KD), Syracuse, NY.
Facilitating Scholarly Writing in Academic Medicine
Lessons Learned from a Collaborative Peer Mentoring Program
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2004
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 64–68, January 2004
How to Cite
Pololi, L., Knight, S. and Dunn, K. (2004), Facilitating Scholarly Writing in Academic Medicine. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 19: 64–68. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.21143.x
Kathleen Dunn, MD is currently mobilized for Operation Nobel Eagle, serving as Deputy Surgeon, U.S. Civil Affairs and Psychological Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC.
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2004
- 4as educator: structuring services to develop faculty writing skills. J Biocommun. 1990;17:2–6., Editor
- 17Guidelines for evaluating papers on educational interventions. BMJ. 1999;318: 118–9.
- 18Conceptual Blockbusting: A Guide to Better Ideas. New York: WW Norton; 1979.
- 19Examination of the medical/scientific manuscript. J Techn Writing Comm. 1979;8: 17–25.
- 20Professors as Writers: A Self-Help Guide to Productive Writing. Stillwater, Okla: New Forums Press; 1990.
- 21How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper. Philadelphia: ISI Press; 1983.
- 22Write to the Top: Writing for Corporate Success. New York: Random House; 1989.
- 24What do you mean I can’t write? Harvard Business Review. 1964;May–June: 144–52.
- 251978.A manual for generating course syllabi. Resource Document #3, in-house publication. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina, Office of Medical Studies;
- 26Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within. Boston: Shambhala; 1986.
- 27How to Write and Publish Papers in the Medical Sciences. Philadelphia: ISI Press; 1982:37–46.Preparing to write. In: , ed.
- 30Picking a research problem. The critical decision. N Engl J Med. 1994;330: 1530–3.
- 31Why Not Say It Clearly: A Guide to Scientific Writing. Boston: Little, Brown; 1978.
- 32Getting a Grant in the 1990s: How to Write Successful Grant Proposals. New York: Prentice Hall Press; 1990.
- 33Handbook for Academic Authors. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1995.
- 34Publishing in scholarly journals: a guide for beginners- Part I. Computers in the Schools. 1995;11: 5–13.
- 35Publishing in scholarly journals: a guide for beginners- Part II. Computers in the Schools. 1996;12: 5–11.
- 36Publishing in scholarly journals: a guide for beginners- Part III. Computers in the Schools. 1996;12: 7–15.
- 37How to Write and Publish Engineering Papers and Reports. Phoenix, Ariz: Oryx Press; 1990.
- 381992.Publish, don’t perish: the scholar's guide to academic writing and publishing. Westport, Conn: Praeger;
- 391983.Writing the natural way; using right-brain techniques to release your expressive powers. Los Angeles, Calif: JP Tarcher;
- 40Effective writing: go tell it on the mountain. The AIR Professional File (Assoc for Instit Res). 1985;21: 1–7., , ,
- 41Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Task Force on Professional Communication Skills. In: , , eds. Written Communication in Family Medicine. New York: Springer-Verlag; 1984.
- 42The Elements of Style, 3rd edn. New York: Macmillan; 1979.Jr,
- 44Medical writing and publication. Fam Med. 1989;21: 60–4.
- 45Effective Writing for Engineers, Managers, Scientists, 2nd edn. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 1988.
- 47Grant Proposals that Succeeded. New York: Plenum Press; 1983., ed.
- 48Effective Writing Strategies for Engineers and Scientists. Chelsea, Mich: Lewis Publishers; 1988., ,
- 49Writing and Evaluating Curriculum Guides. Belmont, Calif: Siegler, McFearson; 1973.,
- 50On Writing Well: An Informal Guide to Writing Nonfiction. New York: Harper Perennial; 1994.
- 51Qualitative Data Analysis, 2nd edn. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage; 1994.,
- 52Introduction to Qualitative Research Methods, 2nd edn. New York: John Wiley and Sons; 1984.,