Received from the Department of Medicine (AR, NP, JAS, KA), University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine; Abramson Cancer Center (KA), University of Pennsylvania; Center for Clinical Epidemiology; and Biostatistics (JAS, KA), University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine; Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics (JAS, KA), University of Pennsylvania; and Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion (JAS, KA), Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pa.
Development and Testing of the Health Care System Distrust Scale
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2004
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 57–63, January 2004
How to Cite
Rose, A., Peters, N., Shea, J. A. and Armstrong, K. (2004), Development and Testing of the Health Care System Distrust Scale. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 19: 57–63. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.21146.x
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2004
- 7The Logic and Limits of Trust. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press; 1983.
- 8Conceptions and explanations of trust. In: CookK, ed. Trust in Society, vol. II. New York: Russell Sage Foundation; 2001: 3–40.
- 9Solving the problem of trust. In: CookK, ed. Trust in Society, vol. II. New York: Russell Sage Foundation; 2001: 40–89.
- 101999: 214.Trust: a sociological theory. In: , , eds. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press;
- 11Social Trust: Toward a Cosmopolitan Society. New York: Praeger; 1995.,
- 12Uncertainty, appraisal, and common interest: the roots of constituent trust. In: BraithwaiteV, LeviM, eds. Trust and Governance, vol. I. New York: Russell Sage Foundation; 1998: 245–67.
- 13Why do people rely on others? Social identity and social aspects of trust. In: CookK, ed. Trust in Society, vol. II. New York: Russell Sage Foundation; 2001: 285–307.
- 21Health Measurement Scales: A Practical Guide to Their Use. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1995.,
- 23Focus Groups: Theory at Practice; Group Dynamics and Focus Group Research. Newbury Park, Calif: Sage Publications, Inc.; 1990.
- 24Figuring out factors: the use and misuse of factory analysis. Can J Psychiatry. 1995;39: 135–40.
- 25Applied Multivariate Statistics for the Social Sciences. Hillsdale, NJ. Erlbaum; 1986.
- 26A general plasmode for factor analytic exercises and research. Multivariate Behavioral Research Monographs; 1967.,
- 27Regression Modelling Strategies. Springer Series in Statistics. New York: Springer; 2001.
- 31Health care inequities lead a mistrust research. Scientist. 1997;11: 1..
- 38The link between trust and physician satisfaction. ACP-ASIM Observer. 2001:6..
- 39Institute of Medicine. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2002.
- 41African Americans’ views on research and the Tuskegee Syphilis Study. Soc Sci Med. 2001: 52., , , et al.
- 42Slavery, segregation and racism: trusting the health care system ain’t always easy! An African American perspective on bioethics. Saint Louis University Public Law Review. 1996;15: 191–235.
- 44Blacks and health: a legacy of distrust. Columbus Dispatch. 1999: 23–7.
- 46US Census. Available at: http://www.fedstats.gov/qf/states/42/42101.html. Accessed December 2, 2003.