Received from the Henry Ford Health System (JEL, CM, LP), Detroit, Mich; IMR, An AdvancePCS Company (CL, KK), Hunt Valley, Md; and Departments of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, and Neurology (RBL), Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY.
The Medical Care Utilization and Costs Associated with Migraine Headache
Article first published online: 11 OCT 2004
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 10, pages 1005–1012, October 2004
How to Cite
Elston Lafata, J., Moon, C., Leotta, C., Kolodner, K., Poisson, L. and Lipton, R. B. (2004), The Medical Care Utilization and Costs Associated with Migraine Headache. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 19: 1005–1012. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.30021.x
- Issue published online: 11 OCT 2004
- Article first published online: 11 OCT 2004
- 11996;47:52–9., , . Variation in migraine prevalence by race. Neurology.
- 3Epidemiology and patterns of health care use for migraine in the United States. Headache. 1999;39: 65–6., , , .
- 51994;44(6 suppl 4):S47–S55., , . Migraine. Patterns of healthcare use. Neurology.
- 6Pharmacy and medical claims data identified migraine sufferers with high specificity but modest sensitivity. J Clin Epidemiol. 2004. In press., , , et al.
- 10Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society. Classification and diagnostic criteria for headache disorders: cranial neuralgias and facial pain. Cephalalgia. 1998;8: 19–28.
- 12A multi-national study to assess the reliability of the migraine disability assessment (MIDAS) score. Headache. 1998;38: 407., , .
- 13The SF-36 health survey: development and use in mental health and the IQOLA Project. Int J Ment Health. 1994;23: 49–73., .
- 151999;37(4 suppl):AS77–AS80., . Use of claims data for research on treatment and outcomes of depression care. Med Care.
- 21A comparison of alternative models for the demand for medical care. J Bus Econ Stat. 1983;1: 115–26., , , .
- 24Migraine comorbidity with stroke, epilepsy and major depression. In OlesenJ, SteinerTJ, LiptonRB, eds. Reducing the Burden of Headache. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2003: 164–72..
- 35http://www.neurology.org. Accessed March 1, 2003., , , , . Evidence based guidelines for migraine headache in the primary care setting: pharmacological management for prevention of migraine. Available at:
- 37Wolff's Headache and other Head Pain. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2001: 247–82., . Chronic daily headache, including transformed migraine, chronic tension type headache and medication overuse. In: , , , eds.
- 38Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Colorectal cancer test use among persons aged ≥ 50 years—United States, 2001. MMWR. 2003;52: 193–6 .