Received from the Johns Hopkins University Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research (TPO, JJA), and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (RSL), Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
Medical Debt and Aggressive Debt Restitution Practices
Predatory Billing Among the Urban Poor
Article first published online: 16 JUN 2004
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 7, pages 772–778, July 2004
How to Cite
O'Toole, T. P., Arbelaez, J. J., Lawrence, R. S. and The Baltimore Community Health Consortium (2004), Medical Debt and Aggressive Debt Restitution Practices. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 19: 772–778. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.30099.x
Please see acknowledgements for a listing of members of the Baltimore Community Health Consortium.
- Issue published online: 16 JUN 2004
- Article first published online: 16 JUN 2004
- 4The Commonwealth Fund Task Force on Academic Health Centers. A Shared Responsibility. Academic Health Centers and the Provision of Care to the Poor and Uninsured. Publication no. 443; April 2001.
- 7Lowering bad debt in health care: the cure is easier than you think. Clin Leadersh Manag Rev. 2002;16: 59–62.
- 102001. Section 3, Page 13, Column 1.. Money and medicine: will doctors make your credit sick? New York Times. February 4,
- 112000., , Medical problems and bankruptcy filings, Nortons Bankruptcy Adviser. May
- 12Medical Debt Report. Available at: http://www.prairienet.org/cchcc/med-dp2.htm. Accessed February 2003.
- 16Full disclosure of financial costs and options to patients: the role of race, age, income, gender and source for usual care. J Health Care Poor Underserved. In press., ,
- 17Medicare Regulation 42CFR Section 413.80. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Provider Reimbursement Manual, Part 1, Section 312.
- 182003., Monitoring the Health Care Safety Net. AHRQ Publication no. 03-0025; August
- 19Health Services Cost Review Commission. Available at: http://www.hscrc.state.md.us/. Accessed February 2003.
- 212000., . eds. America's Health Care Safety Net: Intact but Endangered. Washington DC: National Academy Press;