Received from Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research (RLJ, JJA, MCB, LAC), Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md; Department of Health Policy and Management (RLJ, MCB, LAC), Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Md; Section of General Internal Medicine, Portland VA Medical Center, and Department of Medicine (SS), Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, Ore; Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine (JJA, MCB, LAC), Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Md.
Racial and Ethnic Differences in Patient Perceptions of Bias and Cultural Competence in Health Care
Version of Record online: 27 FEB 2004
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 2, pages 101–110, February 2004
How to Cite
Johnson, R. L., Saha, S., Arbelaez, J. J., Beach, M. C. and Cooper, L. A. (2004), Racial and Ethnic Differences in Patient Perceptions of Bias and Cultural Competence in Health Care. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 19: 101–110. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.30262.x
- Issue online: 27 FEB 2004
- Version of Record online: 27 FEB 2004
- 2Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC : National Academy Press; 2003., ,
- 3Patient-Provider Communication. The Effect of Race and Ethnicity on Process and Outcomes of Healthcare. In: SmedleyBD, StithAY, NelsonAR, eds. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Healthcare. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2003:552–93.,
- 9Racial differences in how patients perceive physician communication regarding cardiac testing. Med Care. 2002;40(suppl 1):I27–I34., , ,
- 18Health Resources and Services Administration Bureau of Health Professions, USDHHS. BHPR – Other Definitions of Cultural Competence. Available at: http:/bhpr.hrsa.gov/diversity/cultcomp.htm. Accessed August 21, 2003.
- 20United States Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Minority Health. National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health Care Final Report, March 1 2001. United States Department of Health and Human Services, OPHS, Office of Minority Health; 2001.
- 21Liaison Committee on Medical Education. Functions and Structure of a Medical School: Standards for Accreditation of Medical Education Programs Leading to the M.D. Degree. Available at: http://www.lcme.org/functions2003july.pdf. Accessed January 19, 2004.
- 24Stata Statistical Software. College Station, Tex: Stata Corporation; 2001.
- 2510-1-2002. The Commonwealth Fund. Quality of Care for Underserved Populations Field Report., , Cultural competence in Health Care. Emerging Frameworks and Practical Approaches,