Received from Medical Scientist Training Program, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the Department of Epidemiology (DLH), Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Md; Center for Outcomes Research, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the Departments of Pediatrics and Anesthesia (JHS), University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pa; and The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and the Department of Anesthesia (DRJ), University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pa.
Do Regulations Limiting Residents’ Work Hours Affect Patient Mortality?
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2004
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 1–7, January 2004
How to Cite
Howard, D. L., Silber, J. H. and Jobes, D. R. (2004), Do Regulations Limiting Residents’ Work Hours Affect Patient Mortality?. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 19: 1–7. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.30336.x
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2004
- 1Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of New York. Part 50. Report of the Fourth Grand Jury for the April/May Term of 1986 Concerning the Care and Treatment of a Patient and the Supervision of Interns and Junior Residents at a Hospital in New York County. New York: Supreme Court of the State of New York; 1986: 50.
- 2State of New York, Department of Health Memorandum. Health Facilities Series H-40. Subject: Revised Part 405 Hospitals—Minimum Standards: Series 88–66, August 22, 1988: 6–8.
- 5American Medical Association. Annual 2001 Reports. Report F (A-01 RFS). Chicago, Ill: American Medical Association.
- 6Petition Requesting a Limit on Medical Resident Work Hours, Washington, DC. Public Citizen. April 30, 2001.
- 16Medical-Index ICD-9-CM. International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification, 4th edn. Vol. 1 & 2, 1994.
- 181995.nQuery Advisor, Version 4.0. Saugus, Mass: Statistical Solutions;
- 20For Whom the ‘Bell’ Tolls: How Hospitals Violate the ‘Bell’ Regulations Governing Resident Working Conditions. New York: Public Advocate's Office for the City of New York; 1994.