The authors certify that they have no conflict of interest regarding affiliations or financial involvement with any organization or entity regarding the subject matter or materials discussed in the manuscript.
Racial Differences in Opioid Use for Chronic Nonmalignant Pain
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2005
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 7, pages 593–598, July 2005
How to Cite
Chen, I., Kurz, J., Pasanen, M., Faselis, C., Panda, M., Staton, L. J., O'Rorke, J., Menon, M., Genao, I., Wood, J., Mechaber, A. J., Rosenberg, E., Carey, T., Calleson, D. and Cykert, S. (2005), Racial Differences in Opioid Use for Chronic Nonmalignant Pain. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 20: 593–598. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.0106.x
This paper was presented by Dr. Mark Pasanen at the Opening Plenary Session at the Society of General Internal Medicine 2003 National Meeting in Vancouver, BC in May 2003.
- Issue published online: 13 JUN 2005
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2005
- Received for publication January 5, 2005 Accepted for publication January 5, 2005
- 2The 1999 National Pain Survey: Louis Harris and Associates.
- 3Chronic Pain in America: Roadblocks to Relief: Roper Starch Worldwide; 1999.
- 5Pain and satisfaction with pain control in seriously ill hospitalized adults: findings from the SUPPORT research investigations. For the SUPPORT investigators. Study to understand prognoses and preferences for outcomes and risks of treatment. Crit Care Med. 1996;24: 1953–61., , , et al.
- 7Chronic pain in Canada—prevalence, treatment, impact and the role of opioid analgesia. Pain Res Manage. 2002;7: 179–84., , ,
- 8Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care: Institute of Medicine; 2002.
- 17Chronic pain: treatment barriers and strategies for clinical practice. J Am Board Fam Pract. 2001;14: 211–8.
- 18Attitudes toward opioid use for chronic pain: a Canadian physician survey. Pain Res Manage. 2003;8: 189–94., , ,
- 34SAMHSA. Overview of Findings from the 2003 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Office of Applied Studies, NSDUH Series H-24, DHHS Publication No. SMA 04-3963. 2004.