The authors have no conflict of interest to report.
A Clinician's Approach to Clinical Ethical Reasoning
Article first published online: 9 FEB 2005
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 3, pages 306–311, March 2005
How to Cite
Kaldjian, L. C., Weir, R. F. and Duffy, T. P. (2005), A Clinician's Approach to Clinical Ethical Reasoning. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 20: 306–311. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.40204.x
- Issue published online: 13 APR 2005
- Article first published online: 9 FEB 2005
- Accepted for publication July 1, 2004
- 1Clinical Ethics. 4th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 1998., ,
- 6Addressing ethical dilemmas: an ethics work-up. New Physician. 1984;33: 34–5.
- 8Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2000: 7–10.
- 9Clinical pragmatism: a case method of moral problem solving. In: FletcherJC, LombardoPA, MarshallMF, MillerFG, eds. Introduction to Clinical Ethics. 2nd ed. Frederick, MD: University Publishing Group; 1997: 21–38., ,
- 10British Medical Association. Ethics Today: The BMA's Handbook on Ethics and Law. 2nd ed. London: BMJ Publishing Group; 2004: 6–12.
- 14Life and Death Decision Making. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1988: 9–11.
- 15Principles of Biomedical Ethics. 5th ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2001.,
- 17The fragmentation of value. In: EngelhardtHT, CallahanD, eds. Knowledge, Value and Belief. Hastings-on-Hudson, NY: Institute of Society, Ethics and the Life Sciences; 1977: 279–94.
- 20Ensuring competency in end-of-life care: communication and relational skills. JAMA. 2000;284: 3051–7., ,
- 27DuBoseER, HamelR, O'ConnellLJ, eds. A Matter of Principles? Ferment in U.S. Bioethics. Valley Forge, PA: Trinity Press International; 1994.
- 29Abating Treatment with Critically Ill Patients: Ethical and Legal Limits to the Medical Prolongation of Life. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1989: 349–54.
- 30Compassionate Respect: A Feminist Approach to Medical Ethics and Other Questions. New York, NY: Paulist Press; 2002.
- 32Social justice and equal access to health care. J Rel Ethics. 1974; 2: 11–32.
- 33Rights. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press; 1991.
- 34Utilitarianism: For and Against. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press; 1982.,
- 35The Abuse of Casuistry: A History of Moral Reasoning. Berkeley: University of California Press; 1988.,
- 36AMA Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs. Code of Medical Ethics: Current Opinions with Annotations. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; 1998. Available at: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2498.html. Accessed January 6, 2005.
- 37Ethics manual. Fourth edition. American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 1998;128:576–94. Available at: http://www.acponline.org/ethics/ethics_man.htm. Accessed January 6, 2005.