The authors are aware of no conflicts of interest.
Teaching Personal Awareness
Version of Record online: 11 MAR 2005
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 2, pages 201–207, February 2005
How to Cite
Smith, R. C., Dwamena, F. C. and Fortin, A. H. (2005), Teaching Personal Awareness. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 20: 201–207. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.40212.x
- Issue online: 1 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 11 MAR 2005
- Accepted for publication July 1, 2004
- 4Use and management of physicians' feelings during the interview. In: LipkinM, PutnamSM, LazareA, eds. The Medical Interview. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag; 1995: 104–9.
- 11The Teaching and Learning of Psychotherapy, 2nd ed. New York, NY: International Universities Press; 1972.,
- 12Clinical Supervision of the Psychiatric Resident. New York, NY: Brunner/Mazel; 1972., ,
- 141992.Reflections on a Program for “The Formation of Teachers.” An occasional paper of the Fetzer Institute, Kalamazoo, MI;
- 15Teaching medical interviewing: the Lipkin model. In: LipkinM, PutnamSM, LazareA, eds. The Medical Interview. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag; 1995: 422–35., , ,
- 17Teaching Supplement for ‘The Patient's Story—Integrated Patient-Doctor Interviewing’. B306 Clinical Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI: Author; 1996.
- 20Relational Concepts in Psychoanalysis—An Integration. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 1988.
- 21Relationality. Hillsdale, NJ: The Analytic Press; 2000.
- 22On Becoming a Person. Boston, MA: Houghton-Mifflin; 1961.
- 24Client-centered Therapy. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Company; 1951.
- 29Illness and satisfaction with medical care. Curr Direct Psychol Sci. 1999;8: 96–9., ,Direct Link:
- 30The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass; 1998.
- 34Communication skills to improve patient satisfaction and quality of care. Ethn Dis. 2002;12 (suppl 3): 58–61.
- 35http://www.msuvmall.msu.edu/imc. Accessed February 27, 2004.Videotape of Evidence-based Interviewing: 1) Patient-centered Interviewing and 2) Doctor-centered Interviewing. Available at:
- 36Patient-centered Interviewing: An Evidence-based Method, 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2002.
- 37The Modern Practice of Adult Education: From Pedagogy to Andragogy. New York, NY: Cambridge, The Adult Education Company; 1980.
- 38The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy, 3rd ed. New York, NY: Basic Books, Inc.; 1985.
- 40The Doctor, His Patient, and the Illness, Revised ed. New York, NY: International Universities Press; 1957.
- 42White coats, intimacy, and medicine as a human science. Presentation to the Program for Biopsychosocial Studies. The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry; Rochester, NY; June 3 1994.
- 43Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change, 2nd ed. New York, NY: Guilford Press; 2002.,
- 48Role of resident attitudes in learning and using skills in patient-centered interviewing. Semin Med Pract. 2002;5: 3–12., , ,
- 50A plain doctor's guide to Balint-work. J Balint Soc. 1992;20: 20–1.