The authors have no conflicts of interest to report.
The Expression of Emotion Through Nonverbal Behavior in Medical Visits
Mechanisms and Outcomes
Article first published online: 10 JAN 2006
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 21, Issue S1, pages S28–S34, January 2006
How to Cite
Roter, D. L., Frankel, R. M., Hall, J. A. and Sluyter, D. (2006), The Expression of Emotion Through Nonverbal Behavior in Medical Visits. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21: S28–S34. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2006.00306.x
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 10 JAN 2006
- Accepted for publication September 13, 2005
- 1Bedside Manners. New York: Simon and Schuster; 1985.
- 2Beyond Culture. Garden City, NY: Anchor Press/Doubleday; 1976.
- 4Nonverbal Communication in Human Interaction. 6th edn. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth; 2005.,
- 5Body Movement and Speech in Medical Interaction. Cambridge, U.K.: Cambridge University Press; 1986.
- 7Understanding Emotions. Cambridge, MA: Blackwell; 1996.,
- 9Mining for gold. J Gen Intern Med. 1993;8: 172–3.
- 12The Medical Interview: The Three-Function Approach. St. Louis, MO: MosbyYear Book Inc.; 1991.
- 17Nonverbal cues, the type a behavior pattern, and coronary heart disease. In: BlanckPD, BuckR, RosenthalR, eds. Nonverbal Communication in the Clinical Context. State College, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press; 1986: 144–68., ,
- 19Demonstrative suffering: the gestural (re)embodiment of symptoms. J Commun. 2002;52: 597–616.
- 20Patients, doctors and videotape: a prescription for optimal healing environments? J Alternative Complementary Med (in press)., ,
- 21HallJA, BernieriFJ, eds. Interpersonal Sensitivity: Theory and Measurement. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum; 2001.
- 23Emotional Intelligence: Science & Myth. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press; 2002., ,
- 24Thin slices of expressive behavior as predictors of interpersonal consequences: a meta-analysis. Psychol Bull. 1992;111: 256–74.,
- 25How big are nonverbal sex differences? The case of smiling and sensitivity to nonverbal cues. In: CanaryDJ, DindiaK, eds. Sex Differences and Similarities in Communication: Critical Essays and Empirical Investigations of Sex and Gender in Interaction. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum; 1998: 155–77.
- 26Sensitivity to Nonverbal Communication: The PONS Test. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press; 1978., , , ,
- 29Doctors Talking to Patients/Patients Talking to Doctors: Improving Communication in Medical Visits. Westport, CT: Auburn House; 1992.,
- 45Doctors Talking to Patients/Patients Talking to Doctors: Improving Communication in Medical Visits. 2nd edn. Westport, CT: Praeger, forthcoming.,
- 46Subliminal exposure to facial expressions of emotion and evaluative judgments of advertising messages. Eur Rev Appl Psychol. 2000;50: 19–23.
- 47Unconscious facial reactions to emotional facial expressions. Psychol Sci. 2000;11: 86–9., ,Direct Link: