Material from this paper was presented at the Midwest SGIM meeting, September 30, 2005, Chicago, IL.
Mastery Learning of Advanced Cardiac Life Support Skills by Internal Medicine Residents Using Simulation Technology and Deliberate Practice
Article first published online: 22 FEB 2006
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 251–256, March 2006
How to Cite
Wayne, D. B., Butter, J., Siddall, V. J., Fudala, M. J., Wade, L. D., Feinglass, J. and McGaghie, W. C. (2006), Mastery Learning of Advanced Cardiac Life Support Skills by Internal Medicine Residents Using Simulation Technology and Deliberate Practice. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21: 251–256. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2006.00341.x
- Issue published online: 28 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 22 FEB 2006
- Manuscript received July 27, 2005 , Initial editorial decision September 9, 2005 , Final acceptance October 19, 2005
- 1American Board of Internal Medicine. Requirements for certification in internal medicine. Available at: http://www.abim.org/cert/policiesim.shtm#6. Accessed July 7, 2005.
- 2In-hospital resuscitation: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association Emergency Cardiac Care Committee and the Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Basic Life Support, Pediatric Resuscitation, and Program Administration Subcommittees. Circulation. 1997;95: 2211–2., , ,
- 11DunnWF, ed. Simulators in Critical Care Education and Beyond. Des Plaines, IL: Society of Critical Care Medicine; 2004.
- 12TekianA, McGuireCH, McGaghieWC, eds. Innovative Simulations for Assessing Professional Competence. Chicago: Department of Medical Education, University of Illinois College of Medicine; 1999.
- 13Human work environment and simulators. In: MillerRD, ed. Anesthesia. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2000: 2613–68.
- 20Self-Efficacy: The Exercise of Control. New York: W.H. Freeman; 1997.
- 21BlockJH, ed. Mastery Learning: Theory and Practice. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston; 1971.
- 22Competency-Based Curriculum Development in Medical Education. Public Health Paper No. 68. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1978., , ,
- 23A model of school learning. Teach Coll Rec. 1963;64: 723–33.
- 27Human Characteristics and School Learning. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1976.
- 32Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Generalized Causal Inference. Boston: Houghton Mifflin; 2002., ,
- 33CumminsRO, ed. ACLS Provider Manual. Dallas: American Heart Association; 2001.
- 34Development and evaluation of musculoskeletal performance measures for an objective structured clinical examination. Teach Learn Med. 1994;6: 59–63., , , et al.
- 35http://www.wmich.edu/evalctr/checklists/cdc.htm. Accessed 03/15/2005.The Checklists Development Checklist. Western Michigan University Evaluation Center, July 2000. Available at
- 37Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions. 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 1981.
- 38Coefficient kappa: some uses, misuses, and alternatives. Educ Psychol Meas. 1981;41: 687–99.,
- 40Academic and occupational performance: a quantitative synthesis. Am Educ Res J. 1984;21: 311–21., , ,
- 41and the TREND Group. Improving the reporting quality of nonrandomized evaluations of behavioral and public health interventions: the TREND statement. Am J Public Health. 2004;94: 361–6., , ,